An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Witnessed This on a Psych Unit

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Auril, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Aleetiff

Aleetiff Member

Ive detoxes in a mental health facility. A lockdown unit. As several others have already said, substance abuse is considered a mental health illness. I prefer the hospital like setting as opposed to detoxing at a rehab center. My experience was not a bad one.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Aleetiff I'm glad your experience wasn't a bad one. I can see your point about detoxing in a hospital... Some people do prefer that.
  3. True concern

True concern Moderator

For me you pose a difficult question simply because I am one of those people who think cold turkey is best(with electrolytes and soft foods)unless we are talking about alcohol, if it's alcoholism it definitely needs to be done on a slow drip of alcohol in a hospital setting.This is just my opinion
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

i have done the alcohol drip and it was a thee day detox for me and was not successful because i could drink enough alcohol that i could still blow something three days later. i did go back and it was on the time that i did a librium detox that i was able to stop without having siezures. it was a two week taper at home.
    thats jsut my personal experience with it. but i will say alcohol was the hardest thing i have ever kicked. much harder thatn H even. close to benzos tho
    True concern likes this.