An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Women: Did pregnancy help you quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by WhyIsItSoHardForMe, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Men on the board who are fathers and had a significant other who smoked before pregnancy are also welcomed to answer.

Of course I'm not going to make it my mission to run out and get pregnant so that I can quit smoking. But I have always said that is a point in my life where I can see myself quitting successfully and never going back.

Motherhood is a stage of my life I am looking forward to. Having a great partner to do it with who will be there every step is how I hope it will happen. I feel the health of my baby will override my craving to smoke.

How was it for you?
  2. purplepapaya

purplepapaya Member

I feel like this question was made for me :) Pregnancy is THE reason I quit, and my children are the reason I remained smoke free. Even beyond that, my pregnancy/our kids is the reason my significant other not only quit smoking, but quit all tobacco products. We are both tobacco free for years now. That said, I know people who unfortunately smoked through their entire pregnancies and never quit, but they also indicated to me that they did not really want to quit or have the desire, either. To me, I had to make sure my kids were born healthy to the best of my abilities, and I'm grateful I could do that for them. If you feel the health of your baby is more important than smoking, you WILL make it happen. The love of your child is more powerful than anything else (and I so know how cheesy that sounds, but it's true).
  3. Thank you for your reply!! It gives me a lot of hope for whenever that time for me comes. It would be so life changing for me to become a mother that I feel I could be successful in getting rid of this unhealthy habit once and for all.