An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Work and Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Tallyho, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I saw another thread kind of like this, but I think my question's different. Today at work, I had no cigarettes for the first time in quite a while, and I had horrible headaches, felt like puking, and my heart and lungs hurt. First off, I'm not sure these are normal withdrawal symptoms for nicotine, or if there's something else going on in addition.

But my main question is, when my chest started hurting, I started kind of panicking, and I almost puked at my desk. I don't feel like I can even function any more, but I'm afraid to ask for help with task management or anything because my job isn't very secure, and I'm hurting financially. One of my supervisors asked if I needed to leave early, which I really wanted to, but I can't afford to take any time away. Is there anything you find helps when you've got to sit down all day at work? What do you tell people when they're concerned? The ones I like, I tell them I'm quitting, but I feel ashamed even then, I can't explain why.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm a smoker too, and I'm sorry you're feeling that way. You should feel proud of saying that you are trying to quit. It's hard dude! I'm trying to quit myself and feel no shame about trying to quit. I feel shame when I fail though. About the withdrawl symptoms, I don't know what to tell you, because I'm trying to find out myself, and haven't researched in Google, because frankly, I'm scared. I'll be following your thread to see what is shared here, and I'll also research a bit and get back to you. I think you should go to a doctor and get a check up, just in case.
    Tallyho likes this.
  3. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I'm currently in my second day of quitting as well and to be honest I don't think that there's anything wrong with you. It's normal to have withdrawal symptoms. Just be strong and keep going. Sooner or later you will get over it and you will be safe. Don't give up and start smoking again.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

While I'm a non-smoker, I have experienced something similar when I went through a really bad panic attack. I've suffered from depression for some time and left it untreated. I was in an office with some business associates but I was starting to get anxious and nervous, for no reason whatsoever. Eventually, my breathing became anomalous and I vomited on the table. This whole situation was highly embarrassing for me, it caused me to finally seek out help.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It could be you might be confusing your quit symptoms with anxiety or panic attacks. I mean quitting nicotine is difficult and it can be stressful, it shouldn't lead to all of those symptoms, I wouldn;t think so anyway. Maybe you can use the Patch or something to help you alleviate your symptoms.
  6. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

Thank you very much everyone, for the supportive words, suggestions, and commiseration. Sorry to hear some of you've had such a hard time too! :(

KGord, thanks for drawing attention to that, I've been confused on what's what for me health-wise, so I certainly don't want to mistake some symptoms as being caused by one root instead of another. I will try to stay aware of that possibility as things progress. And thanks for suggesting the patch, I've considered it before, but have an inexplicable nervousness about it.
  7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I think all of those symptoms are possible with nicotine withdrawal. When I quit smoking I found that the most important thing to help me manage the symptoms were healthy, natural anxiety reducers. I went on a lot of long walks listening to soothing music (even sometimes 3 short walks a day to calm my nerves), drank a ton of water and herbal tea, and pampered myself in other ways like good meals and some new nice smelling lotions and perfumes. Stay strong, it is worth it!
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Definitely normal, and I hear you about that "I'm almost at the point of puking at my desk but I can't go home" kind of work environment - I've been there before.

Are there any things that quell nausea for you? I found that peppermint gum helped me a lot, in terms of not making me feel as nauseated. Maybe it's worth exploring those options and seeing if there's something that makes you feel less ill.
  9. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

Ya, like most others, I think that it was a pretty within normal experience that you had. You said you didn't have any cigarettes and that this was the first time in a long time. That right there suggests to me that letting yourself be out of cigarettes at work is something that you don't normally do. When you are suddenly confronted with not having something that you are accustomed to, especially if it something to help you relax, the anxiety you feel about it is going to be way worse than if you could just get up and replace it. The second you say you can't have something is the moment that not having it will incapacitate you. Never think to yourself that you don't have cigarettes or that you can't have a cigarette. Always have a back up plan in place and then when it does happen, just knowing that there is an option will take the pressing need out of the situation,
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd check with a doctor just to make sure, because you just never know... those symptoms sound a bit odd. I'm sure it's nothing, but better be safe than sorry, right? Kudos to you for doing something many people are never capable of achieving, keep up the great work and keep us posted!
  11. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It is always a tough thing to deal with when you have to choose continuing to do your work or wondering if there is something serious that you need to get checked out. Of course it is always better to be on the side of caution and make sure you are okay. Be honest with your coworkers, because they should understand.
  12. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I'vе bееn thеrе...I wоrk 12 hоur shifts in thе ЕR...I'vе hаd tо gо thrоugh sоmе bаd withdrаwаl аnd I pullеd thrоugh sоmе hоw...Lеt's just sаy I fеlt еvеry sесоnd оf thе dаy аnd minutеs sееmеd likе mоnths. Tоwаrds thе еnd оf thе dаy it gеts bеttеr thоugh аnd sоmеhоw yоu еvеn mаnаgе tо fоrgеt аbоut it in sоmе wеird wаy.