An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Work Ethics Adjustment For Legalized Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JonMark, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

I think this all comes down to a person's ability to control their intake of anything, including Marijuana as well as controlling their ability to function well at work. For someone to be addicted to something; it's common that they make the connection of marijuana use with recreation. So, they tend to be in a relaxed environment. Of course, Marijuana isn't an upper either. So, all of that makes sense.

That minds are changing isn't a new thing. They're being forced to change under the loosening of strict laws in a few states. Also, they can't fight the fact that it's bringing in tons of revenue for them so, anything against it tends to get thrown out the window. But what are employers up against at this point? Are they going to establish some new laws against marijuana use? No doubt they already have.

But more of them know that their employees are likely to be using it and will loosen up their restrictions against it as well. So the line of what makes a person an addict verses normal use has moved and with this, work ethics will evolve too.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Even though marijuana is becoming legal on a state level, it is still illegal on a federal level and federal trumps state law. I think that people should still be careful if the are going to smoke marijuana. I do know that at my work, it is treated the same as alcohol, if you are under the influence or test positive on a UA, you lose your job.
  3. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

A company can require you not to come to work while high, just like they do that in relation to alcohol. If you are high, your mental state is changed and a corporation can fire you just like that. I am not sure why people believe alcohol laws and marijuana laws will be confronted differently. It is just like you can get a DUI for cannabis the same way you can get a DUI from alcohol. Companies will not loosen up, the user will just need to become more aware of when they should and should not use it.
  4. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Just because you're using something that's legal doesn't mean you aren't impaired. You can't come to work drunk, so I see no reason why you could come high. I think there's still going to be the same drug tests there always were.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Marijuana will likely follow that of alcohol. Alcohol is legal to consume but every company can issue rules to not show up at work under it's influences. Unless your job requires you to show up drunk or drink with customers.