An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Work pressure

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by DancingLady, Jul 24, 2015.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

in some work places, it seems the vast majority of employees are smokers. I really don't know why that is unless it's just a social class thing. If someone is trying to quit, but most of their co workers still smoke, that can be really hard because every time you take a break, there are others smoking there and you'd have to take your breaks alone or stay inside to avoid it. Have any of you had situations like this?
  2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Interesting question, I'm not currently working but in my university there is a lot of people who smokes, and I remember that every time that my friends and I go to get some food there's always going to be one or two people who took a cigarette break, and is really hard when you are trying to quit! It looks almost inoffensive when a lot of people are smoking... But luckily not all the people there smokes, but it's definitely annoying.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve noticed it as well. And it’s always the most stressed-out ones who take frequent smoke breaks, it seems. No one was trying to quit in the last office I worked in, but I can imagine that being around fellow smokers would make it much more difficult to do so.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think once you leave your house you are going to run into people that smoke and it could tempt you to smoke again. That is going to be the very difficult. If there is a designated smoking area, you should really try and avoid that place as much as possible. They have the privilege to smoke in their designated area, and you have the right to take another route.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I've experienced this. My job back then had something to do with customer service and it can be stressful especially if certain customers are unreasonable. Me and my co-workers would take our breaks outside and smoke and talk about our experiences. As time passed, I went for promotions and my supervisor smoked during breaks. Supervisors are like mentors there and whenever I had a chat with her about which branch of the company I can gun for, smoking is always in the equation. Funny thing is, outside of work, I never smoked.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Where I work there's a no smoking policy in place, not just inside but in the surrounding grounds and gardens aswell. People do still smoke but they have to go off site, and that means it takes up most of their break just getting there and back.

Work related stress is becoming more of an issue these days when it comes to mental health problems, but to blame that for smoking more, while it probably is related in some way, does seem to be more of an excuse than an actual reason.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

In my opinion, it's just a fad. I've worked in call centres, and the first thing I noticed was the smoking and the energy drinks. Everyone smoked and stuffed themselves full of Redbull and coffee. I saw people who just started working- who didn't smoke or like energy drinks- start doing the same thing after just a couple of weeks. It's just a fad, like baseball players chewing tobacco. Individuality has always been a rare thing.
    L_B likes this.
  8. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Most of my co-workers are heavy smokers, but that doesn't have any impact on me whatsoever. At least for now I don't have any desire to start smoking again because of this anyway.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Work in an office environment has been very limited for me as I've been self-employed most of my life. I did have a part-time office job in my late teens and at least half of my colleagues were smokers. They were generally pleasant folks but their smoking habit wasn't. Fortunately, some had the good manners to ask me if I would mind them smoking before lighting up.
  10. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

generally, the main thing that drives people to smoke is pressure, it doesn't matter if this pressure is from work, studies, problems etc ... me as a smoker I started smoking because of the pressure i've got in my graduate year, and now i'm addicted to it ...
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Some jobs are much more stressful than others and smoking gives people a chance to step out and relax for a while. I have noticed that there are a lot more smokers in jobs that pay low or are customer service related. I find it interesting that it is mainly people who are scraping to get by that you see smoking the most in the workplace. The stress of it all maybe?
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I used to work in a restaurant and tried quitting smoking many times to no avail. It's near impossible when work gets stressful and everyone runs out for a smoke once the situation has been resolved while you do nothing.