An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Working In A Cigarette Factory

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by 6up, Aug 20, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Has any of us here ever worked in a cigarette factory? Did that made you to start smoking? If you never smoked, how did you manage that? Sometimes back I was working in a cigarette factory and we used to be given free cigarettes to smoke.
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I'd work in a cigarette factory, free fresh cigarettes and it doesn't seem to be difficult to work in a cigarette factory...
  3. tckc

tckc Member

A friend of mine works in the advertising department of a cigarette company in Germany. He doesn't smoke but he also said that the workers there don't get free cigarettes. Germany has a different work culture than the U.S. though, they are very union-heavy in some areas. Maybe that has something to do with it.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I might be working in one soon and to be honest I am not concerned about starting to smoke. I know myself, I tried smoking before and I didn't like it. I'd not start it now after all those years I could have done such a thing, I'd not start just now... free cigarettes or not, don't care. I won't start smoking because I work in a factory.

But I guess the temptation for some people can be very big D: Specially those who used to be smokers.
  5. harold

harold Community Champion

I am not working in a cigarette factory, but I can imagine that it must be very difficult to work in an environment like that. I once escaped from such a job offer. I do not like the odor of cigarettes. The odor makes my head ache. I even find it difficult hanging around a smoker. To be honest, I cannot really accept an offer in a cigarette company. I won't be able to handle the odor, if not the moral constrains or guilt that I will feel knowing that I am promoting a substance that is destroying the lives of many. Forgive me if I am being too hard here. It's just what I think. I have never worked in a cigarette company and I do not plan to work in one.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not surprised that they gave you cigarettes. I guess it's cheaper to give you those instead of a Christmas bonus. But to be honest, hiring a person that is addictive to cigarettes is a red flag for me if I was hiring. Chronic smokers need to have a cigarette in them every hour, some even more so. So to have someone taking constant breaks to smoke because it is being waved in front of their face all the time, is not what I want as a employer. Would you hire a alcoholic to be a bartender? Probably not. Addicts will do weird stuff to get their fix. Stealing, more breaks then usual is just some of the things I would be worried about.
  7. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I've got a relative who's currently working in a cigarette factory, and she says the conditions are in fact quite OK. Not her dream job, but she's got an attractive salary and frequent bonuses. She is also offered free cigarettes, but she doesn't smoke so she refuses 'em.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I haven't worked in a cigarette factory yet, but since I don't have an addictive personality, then I wouldn't mind working there. I'm sure I won't be tempted to smoke either, because my bro is a regular smoker, or I think he's already a chainsmoker, and I get annoyed now when I smell the cigarette smoke that he emits.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I haven't, but my girlfriend's grandfather worked for Players (a Canadian cigarette company) and started smoking profusely due to getting cartons upon cartons of free cigarettes. I would imagine it's like trying to lose weight at a cake shop.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Surely this depends on the individual? I'm a smoker, and if I worked in a cigarette factory and got free cigarettes then I'd be more than happy as it would save me a lot of money. If I worked in a cake shop, I don't have a sweet tooth at all so would refuse the free cakes, or take them and give them to friends and family.

Just because your in a certain environment doesn't necessarily mean your going to all of a sudden change personality, and if it does for you, then its yourself you need to look at, and not blame the environment your in.
  11. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I'll never work in cigarette factory, because basicly in my religion, cigarettes are not allowed since it hurts humain health, so if I work in that factory my money will not be "clean", so I'll never do it !
    Tsky45 likes this.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This isn't a place to work if you want to quit smoking. For a smoker this seems like a dream job, but for someone trying to kick the habit a nightmare. Being in a cigarette factory would make me feel guilty. Not being wanting to smoke something that I'm making for other people to smoke is too much. I couldn't work in a cigarette factory.
  13. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm glad I don't work in a cigarette factory I'd probably be dead from chain smoking. I'd take the free smokes what I didn't smoke myself I'd sell cheap to my friends save them a few bucks from buying retail, and earn a few for myself in the process.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never experience working in a cigarette factory. There was a cigarette factory before that I often passed by going to the university and just the smell of the air around that place made me felt hardly to breath.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I guess that working in a cigarette factory is every smoker's dream then! The free cigarettes are the only "perk" of doing so, I believe?

However, I have never worked in a cigarette factory, and don't even want to. Even when I was a heavy smoker, I would still had not accepted it, as it would had been really harmful to my health.
  16. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I have personally seen people who work in cigarette industries but they do not smoke. One might be tempted to smoke due to free cigarettes offered by the staff.
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I feel the same as some others here. I couldn't promote something that is so bad for you it kills you. I just had a family member die from lung cancer caused by smoking. The odor is horrible and gets eveywhere. Your clothes, furniture, car, just every where.
  18. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

It is easy for one to pick up a habit from exposure of it. I had a friend who became an alcoholic working in a local brewery. He had shown no signs of being interested in beer before and must have fallen for the free booze offered there. So yes, I would think it would be a temptation working in a cigarette factory.
  19. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I've personally never worked in a cigarette factory, but I think it must be repetitive and you could end up hating yourself for making things that kill people. I also think that most workers probably don't smoke because they hate the smell and the taste after so many hours working on it. Everyone get tired, and I'd think that something like this is one of those things that ca get really coring and repetitive.
  20. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I'm just wondering if seeing the manufacturing process would make you want to not smoke. I know for example, that the processes that tyson uses in their processing would make me want to stop eating their chicken and look for another alternative, and it makes me curious what the process for making cigarettes looks like.