An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Working to Keep Busy

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by knitmehere, Nov 3, 2015.

1. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I've been a stay at home mother since 2012. As you can guess, that gave me plenty of time to sit at home and get into my own head because I had too much time on my hands.

I recently decided to get back out into the work force. I was lucky that the day I actually really started looking, I found a local place having open interviews and I got a call less than 24 hours later that I was being hired.

Now that I've started and have worked for a few days, I realized that I don't have nearly the time that I did to just sit around and think about things, so my addiction doesn't pop into my head nearly as often. I find myself not thinking about it at all some days, when it used to be constantly.

Do you find that working helps to keep your mind busy and off of your addiction?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, yes, just like what the quote says, "an idle mind is the devil's workshop." If we want to stay away from temptations, and let go of our cravings, we should always keep ourselves productive.

Anyway, congratulations on your new job! Wishing you all the best. :)
    JonnyMacdonald and Rosyrain like this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think work is a productive way of keeping busy, and while a lot of people in recovery will find they have a lot of time on their hands and they'll be looking at trying to find new hobbies, a lot of the time they don't see work as an option for some reason.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Work is a great way of keeping your mind occupied, not only for your addiction but just for life in general. I know that i am an overthinker and I can drive myself crazy if I am left alone with my thoughts for too long. Your mind can play games on you if you allow it to. Congratulations on the job. That is great that you were able to get a job so quickly. Hope you are enjoying it. It is nice to get out and work. I can't imagine not having my job. I have worked there for almost 30 years now.
  5. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

That is great!
    I miss having a job, but with the things I have going on I have to be selective about what jobs I can take. Right now, there are none that really allow me to stick with my previous commitments and earn... so I am trying to just stay busy, period.
    I think that is the key. You must stay busy, either at a job or with chores around the house, helping others, etc.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I work an outside job and then do some work at home online. I have a family also, so I do not have much time these days to think about addiction. It is really a great feeling to be honest. When you have too much time to think, bad things can happen.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's great, I'm so glad you got a job and have something productive to do to take your mind off of those thoughts. It really helps to have something to do to occupy your mind. Even if it's just watching videos or listening to music. A lot of people tend to overthink things and it can really get to them.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Fellow stay at home mom here! I've only been a SAHM now for almost 12 months and it's been several years now since I dealt with addiction but I hear you on having too much time to think. I think it doesn't help either that I don't have adult conversation most of the day until my husband gets home! That part is tough because I can't vent about frustrations or stress to my child! I often bottle things up and that can be tough!
    stariie likes this.
  9. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I tend to feel that bottling things up feels terrible, and I get to a point where I bottle things up so much that when I do start talking to someone about things, I feel a bit overwhelmed about having so much to share. That's why I try to journal regularly. I can really tell a difference in my days when I journal, as opposed to days when I don't.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  10. stariie

I think that having a job is key to overcoming all sorts of maladies that can go on, whether it's addiction, or depression, or self-loathing or a feeling of helplessness in life, a job can help with all of that.

A job provides one with a social network, someplace to go, and depending on the job, someplace to get all dressed up. Kind of like going out on a date 5 days a week, only you're not going out on a date, you're getting all showered and dressed for a job. It's a great feeling.
    At work, you get a chance to be of service to other people, you get a chance to listen to other people's points of view. Work is stimulating... AND you get paid!! Good for you getting a job after only putting yourself on the market for a couple of days.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never had a job, at least not a stable one, but studying and attending university courses helps me take my mind off things and not let it wonder though unknown, dangerous realms, as you said. School and work are methods of keeping clean and sober, not the most pleasant ones, it's true, but at least they are effective. Fact is that I have many hobbies and can keep myself busy during the day, so studies can sometimes be an obstacle. But I will soon finish them and I will be free again, what a relief!
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's a good idea to keep busy no matter the circumstances. Working can be a good idea since you can also be productive at the same time you keep your mind off of things. I like to read a book a week, so far it's going great but I find it hard to keep motivated. I guess I have to deal with my ups and downs.
  13. kassie1234

Indeed, so many benefits to working. Right now we're not in a position where I can work (it would literally be almost as expensive to work and put my little one in child care here as it is to stay home with her!) but I do miss that professional fulfilment that comes with out of the home work. And yes - dressing up is SO nice. I used to feel glamorous! Now I kind of feel like I'm in yoga pants half the week. Today I have jeans on - winning!

Plus, I just miss that feedback of having someone else tell me I'm doing a good job, you know? As a stay at home mom you don't really get that.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    stariie likes this.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think working is something everyone should be doing. Most of us need the money to sustain ourselves, that's a pretty good reason on it's own. But work also helps to sharpen us up and keep ourselves focused on important tasks. When you're spending your time productively, you'll find that you have little time for distractions and substances. I really can't stress the benefits of working often enough.
    stariie likes this.
  15. kassie1234

The sustaining ourselves sounds like what my dad says! "If I don't work, I don't eat - and I like eating!!"
  16. stariie

Yes, child care is expensive. I used to work in a daycare and some of those parents were paying for one child as much as I made in a month:eek:. I used to think to myself, "If they pay this much a month for one child, I wonder what their take home pay is like?"
    My boss was raking in the money, about 25 thousand a month... from child care!! That's more than some people make in a whole year! And she ran the day care from her house, imagine if she rented a larger space, with more room for more kids, and turned that into her daycareo_O.

I always found it kind of ironic that these women (and some men) would come to the daycare, drop off their child(ren) to let someone else raise them for 10 to 12 hours a day, and pay us to do it, while they themselves went off to "work".

I like working outside of the home, but to be honest, I like staying at home too. In today's day and age, a lot of people try to make me feel bad about feeling that way, and want to say that I'm lazy, but hey, I'm a "homegirl". :DMartha Stewart:D is like, one of my heroes, seriously.

I know that I'm not alone in feeling like this because Martha is a billionaire, and she's made her coins off of being a domestic diva. Cooking, cleaning, decorating. She's all about that life.

I'm a stay at home mom, even though my son just graduated from high school. He has certain requirements that just don't make it all that feasible for me to be away from home for 9 to 10 hours out of the day. Kind of suits me just fine, to be honest, but I wouldn't mind a little part-time gig, about 2 or 3 days a week, 3 or 4 hours a day.

It's hard to believe that just a few short years ago (before feminism kicked in), that is was a dishonor to a man for his wife to work outside of the home. Have you seen that throwback commercial by Progressive Insurance where the man is on there talking to Flo?? "Women don't have jobs." "Where is your husband?" Lol, I love that commercial!:)
  17. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Congratulations on your new job, and a new-found way to keep your mind off of your addiction. Re-entering the workforce can be liberating for a former stay-at-home mom, opening the door to many new possibilities. It is great of you to share this technique of staying busy to help you stay away from your addiction.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm not an addict, but being busy is generally a good way to fight the cravings simply because you're busy. I highly would recommend it to recovering addicts, they ought to really find a cause or a hobby that leaves no room for idleness.
  19. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm not an addict, but I am a very anxious person and working or keeping myself busy really helps me to cope with that anxiety, and it makes me feel really productive as well, so that's a good thing, I'm looking forward to keeping myself busy.
    Congratulations on your new job!
  20. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

@anorexorcist I have a lot of anxiety issues as well, and it's been working wonderfully to combat those issues!
    anorexorcist likes this.