An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Working (Whether Online or Not)

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Shimus, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

The forum name suggests "Low Cost and Free" Rehab programs so I thought to myself hmmmmm....

The best one of these is just to find a job that occupies a chunk of time and pays decent for what you have to do. Failing that, there's multiple online sites that pay direct to paypal so there's a potential there as well. Whatever the case may be, working not only keeps you healthily busy but also EARNS you money so you could even afford whatever rehab you need, if you so chose and needed it still. If not, you have cash. It's win-win.

Buy some games with the cash. Movies. Music. Books. Whatever does it for you. This in turn wouldn't make it free or low cost since you did have to work for it (technicalities, I guess) but it'd be a ready alternative, at the very least.

Thoughts?
  2. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

This is a good idea but I'm not sure how effective it would be. Maybe in the beginning when they are pumped up about it, it might work momentarily but I feel like the allure of drugs and alcohol will become more prominent when they find out how much work it takes to earn just a tiny bit. Also, they might want to spend that money on alcohol when they finally end up earning it. It's hard to get out of the mindset. My boyfriend is constantly making up logical excuses in his mind of why he should drink. He will definitely say, "I worked so hard for this money, I should celebrate and reward myself with some alcohol..."

This is all just my opinion of course. While its a good idea and may work for some, I just feel like the chance of relapse is high. It feels more like hiding from the problem, rather than confronting the problem face-to-face and coming to terms with it.
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I had the very same idea last year but unfortunately for me - it backfired. I was trying to stop myself from smoking. I thought that if I didn't give myself the chance to think about buying a pack of cigarettes, it will solve my problem. I found a position for a gaming network writing reviews but I still ended up smoking because I had to stay awake for my day job. But I still think the idea could work. Someone just needs to come up with the proper outline of for the whole thing.
  4. Shimus

Of course it's going to rely on individual basis as these types of treatment often do; but if someone was beside you along the way I think it could work. Unless you have the necessary willpower to stop it yourself.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me and drinking, it worked well to just be completely occupied as much as possible. I worked a job that was a pretty standard 40 hour work week, but there were opportunities for overtime in the evenings or even weekends -- I took up as many of those opportunities as I could. Honestly I just found the requirements of being at work and obviously being occupied in that professional sense kept me from drinking. I also liked your idea about possibly buying stuff with your additional income that will keep you busy again, such as books or DVDs.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I was previously unemployed and very, very depressed, so I started working online here and there. I don’t know if I’d say it was a remedy, but it certainly did keep my mind occupied and my hands busy. In tandem with other methods, I think it could help, and making a few extra bucks on the side is a nice bonus.
  7. Shimus

That's exactly why I do it. To feel not "Broke" all the time, or to get those small 5-10 items in everyday life I could not normally afford due to the "N0 job" status I have as well.

It also works to keep my mind occupied while I type on various many subjects too, working online. It's not all posting - music reviews, technical customer support - I perform a various wide range of jobs and it's nice to keep me going and less thinking about doing 'other things..'
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

When one's mind is busy doing a job, there's no time for addictions, and not matter if one can make just a few cents a day so to say, the sole fact of feeling that you are good at doing something encourages you to find other lucrative activities to make more money.

And certainly, there is plethora of job opportunities on the web, it's matter to browse for them using keywords to find them out.
  9. Shimus

Yeah, most people assume I mean real life Jobs when I say working. That's why I specified in the thread title. I'm also a firm advocate of being outside as well, while working. This could be mowing/raking leaves, this could be shoveling snow in the winter, or simply having a construction job or something like that. The less time you spend sitting in your personal dwelling (where you live at) is better time that's not spent idle or searching for another bad habit or a vice.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I personally love the idea of working online, specially if you have a lot time off after work and you are trying to fill that blank space with something beneficial. Something that helps you stay busy and at the same time helps you make some money, in my opinion that is a definite win-win :) This can also help out a lot if you are going though a hard time in your life, because for a while you can forget about it, that is what I do ;)
  11. rtorir

rtorir Member

The most interesting thing about online jobs is that they are more like work from home jobs. Sometimes back, the jobs were mostly being taken up by students, home makers or recent mothers. Nowadays, it has been adopted by working professionals as a quick and easy way to earn some money.

This job is very beneficial, especially to young family who need to earn a good income to spend, invest and also need time to be with their children. Working online offers you the chance to bring up your family without jeopardizing the financial security of your loved ones.

You will find that working online is more flexible and it accommodates enough time to be with your family when compared to taking two normal jobs.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Whereas working online can be beneficial and can take your mind off addiction, working from home also requires a certain amount of self-discipline and self-control. I think for this reason, it can be very easy to become distracted. Additionally, because you have no supervisor or superior watching over you to ensure that you work properly, you could very well find yourself developing some bad habits while you work. Personally, when I first started working online, I would find myself taking regular intervals for coffee and smoking - something which wouldn't have been allowed if I was going out to work in a physical location but because I worked at home, I had the freedom to do so whenever I wanted.
  13. hwarren

hwarren Member

This is a difficult one because as with all jobs that you apply for whether online or not there is always that 'disappointment' when you are turned down or find out you have been scammed and all your efforts were worth nothing. I think for people that are trying to avoid the stress - this could create more.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Work sometimes makes people feel worthy and fulfilled, so it is a great method of getting distracted and doing something with the free time. I don't suggest getting a full time job, though, as it is more complicated for those who are still in recovery. A part-time job will do it, and it doesn't take such a big part of your day, so you have time for doing other activities as well. Not to mention that you can make new friends at your workplace.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am just really happy, and fulfilled to be able to work online, and earn money while just staying at the comfort of my own home. It definitely does help me pay the bills, and save more money for the future. I am planning to apply for a much stable job in the corporate world though.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Working online is defintely preferable to me as opposed to having a real life job in many ways...it isn't perfect however, for one thing, I haven't found anything yet...that compares at all to a salary from a "real" job. It also can be isolating as you really don't have the co workers around you do in a job. Also, when you are at home it is very tempting to goof off, or do something else...because you are at home. I am looking for a regular salaried job I can do at home that would allow me to stay more focused and earn more money.
  17. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

yes this is not a bad idea unless the result of getting a job is that as you become financially sound, you might end up with enough money to buy drugs and get addicted again. Maybe the best route out of a drug addiction is unemployment. If you don't have a job you wont have any money to buy drugs and you will automatically quit.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is a nice idea. Keeping oneself busy just like on doing work can help someone stay clean just make sure not to overworked. The money can be used for necessities as you said and stuffs that could help a person be occupied and happy like books and movies.
  19. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Well yes work tends to get your mind off the addiction but sometimes it is work that caused it in the first place. Working day and night for little or nothing. I think finding something you really love (like a sport) and engaging in it will wor better.
  20. brian_33

brian_33 Member

Hello, I'm a newbie on here and getting to know all the ins and outs of the site. You mentioned working from home. I'm from Youngstown,Oh, so what
    certain online working jobs are out there?