An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Workplaces Aiding in Recovery

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 8, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

Did you know that your employer may have resources to help you through recovery? I know it can be hard to open up to your employer about drug use and addiction, especially due to the stigma surrounding the disease, but employers often have access to resources that can help you obtain free or inexpensive treatment at reputable facilities.

I personally know someone who received help with treatment through their workplace by them funding the employee through a detox and rehab program. It really helped the person turn their life around, and as far as I know, they have remained sober. Has your workplace offered to help you through recovery? Would you ask?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One shouldn't be ashamed of their addiction. It's like a disease. When someone is sick they must see a doctor. If talking to an employer so they can help you in whatever way they can [will be helpful], if I was an addict, then I certainly wouldn't let anything hold me back from taking advantage of any opportunity to turn my life around.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I like the idea of my employer coming to my rescue when am fighting substance abuse but unfortunately,that idea sounds more alien than real in my locality.While i support the idea wholeheartedly, i think most employers would be reluctant to offer their financial or moral support and their most likely reaction would be to let that affected employee go.
  4. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

It would be such a nice thing even your workplace can offer guidance concerning addiction. At the same time I can't blame the people that are or have gone through addiction to people specially to their employers, there is always the risk of being judged and treated unfairly. I'm not saying that they shouldn't open up instead I am hoping for society to become more open minded.
  5. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think trying to get better is an excellent thing. It's something to be proud of. The more help that person can get the better. So if workplaces have the ability to help. They abseloutly should.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well you might want to find out on the down low. People still tend to judge. If you go about it through the proper channels you might have immunity from judgement but sometimes people can't help themselves. I watched a woman who was a manager in a department store who said to her supervisors she had a problem like this. It was something like they had to hold her position for a certain length of time. She could go on her drug rehab and they had to hold her job. She didn't actually have the problem she just used it as an excuse to go work another job. I guess in case she didn't like it or it didn't work out she could come back. Working the system I guess. There probably are laws in different states that will protect you if you need to do something like this. Amazing that they will protect someone with a drug addiction but not someone who does the right things and works hard. Lol. Weird. So I would suggest finding out what the employment protection laws are in your area and go from there.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My ex son-in-law was offer resources for his drug addiction through his employer. There was the conditions that he would get himself clean or he would lose his job. He checked himself into rehab and was doing well for a bit and then all of sudden he up and left, quit his job and is worse then he ever was. It breaks my heart because when my daughter and him were first together he was such a great young man but drug, alcohol , gambling and cheating tore them apart. I feel bad for my grand daughter. She loves her dad so much and she doesn't understand why she can't always go and stay with him. He will say he will come visit her and then he disappears for days. He had done it to her so many time. The rest of us are left to pick up the pieces. It is heart breaking.
  8. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I know someone who was a bonded delivery driver who delivered pay checks to companies. He got drunk one day on the job and passed out on the way to deliver a huge payroll. After a huge police search, he was found. Rather than firing him - his boss paid for him to go through rehab and gave him a second chance. To this day, he credits his boss with saving his life.