An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worried for love

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Nalahall, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Nalahall

Nalahall Member

My husband is addicted to pills and he says he wants to stop but never does and even when he talks about quiting it kills me inside to know I can't stop him. Yet it's hendering our marriage and career goals along with our finances. What can I do ?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Beating some addictions might require more than willpower. Has your husband tried to get professional help, had a talk with a substance abuse counselor? If he hasn't then you should convince to seek help because this might be what will eventually get him to permanently stop abusing prescription drugs.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I think you can explore alternative methods to combat insomnia or sleeplessness. One involves covering the face with a towel and inhaling hot steam. Taking several glasses of warm milk also helps. So is taking a hot bath before going to bed. These methods can be used in combination. If your husband leads a sedentary lifestyle, exercise is crucial. Caffeinated beverages in the evening are a no go zone.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I would advice you @Nalahall to have a talk with him on how your finances are dwindling because of his addiction and if he does not stop, I would rather switch those pills with vitamins; he wouldn't know the difference since the addiction is in his mind that the pills are helping.
    Another idea is if you could stop the pills from being prescribed to him; or you being in control of your finances, when he has no money to buy, he may have no choice but to seek professional help.
  5. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

It may be difficult because you love him. The truth of the matter is, as others have said, you might have to talk with him in order to figure out a solution. What matters above all is if he sees that you truly love him and care about him, that will truly do a change in him. If he sees that you're not thinking too much of yourself but you're truly concerned about him, it will do something to him deep down. Remain in love and do everything in love and care, he might need it to get through. If after trying a lot nothing works, try seeking professional help as others have said.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You have to keep reminding him that this is causing problems. If it's causing financial problems it can't be overlooked. I think he should try to ween himself off of these pills. A lot of times people underestimate how addictive pills can be. If all
    else fails he can always seek help it's not like he'll get a record for it.
  7. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

Simply put, you need to find professional help. If he cannot find the willpower within himself to stop, then you need to begin acting on the outside resources available to both of you. I had a friend once who was in a similar situation as your husband, and as his addiction progressed, I found that I had very little influence on him. He did not want to stop. So I called the police. After 30 days in jail, and another 60 in a rehabilitation center, he was finally off the stuff (Percocet to be specific). I know it seems daunting, but it may be necessary.
  8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Overcoming an addiction may not be as simple as you may you may believe, it takes a lot of willpower and determination for the addicted person to be able to quit the habit. Firstly, I think it would be a good thing for you do some research to better be able to understand the rehabilitation process, so you might be able to offer some effective support alongside a professional rehabilitation programme.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Ask him to try meditation, yoga, faith healing, alternative medication. If he is willing to listen you, your love is saved.
  10. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

It depends entirely what pills he is addicted to, and his reason for taking them in the first place. The fact that they are prescription means they were originally given to help with a medical condition. Has this medical condition(s) gone away? If so, it is unlikely he would still be getting them on prescription. Is he buying/using them from another source outside of this? If so, then it is a completely different situation to continuing to use something he may very well need to help him. You give us very little information in your original post, but the last thing you want to be doing is encouraging your husband to give up meds he may actually still need.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Maybe rehab. A place where he can stop and have some help. Sounds like he has zero willpower this way.