An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worst Injury While Drunk

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by AAngelo, May 7, 2015.

1. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I'm sure some of us here have had an injury or two caused by being drunk. Luckily for me I don't have a car so my injuries were limited to bumps during concerts, falling down the sidewalk because rough-housing occurred while drunk and fist fights. All of them were pretty minor.

One of the worst injuries I saw caused by drunkenness was from my sister. We were hiking up a mountain with a few other people. It was normal stuff really. Once we got to the top, we got hammered with a cocktail of vodka, gin and rum. Everybody was having fun and we cooked a lot of good food. While running around drunk on the mountain, my sister somehow fractured her leg. Her bone was sticking out and she was screaming. Of course, we were drunk on a mountain so it really sucked for her. We had to radio for help and fellow hikers reached us in about 5 hours. We had to hike down in the dark carrying my sister with massive hangovers. I can't imagine the pain my sister was in. It was definitely one of the funnest then worst experiences of my life.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Looks like you were lucky that day, you could have been tumbling down that mountain and never waking up again. That's what happened to two women from my neighborhood. They went on a merry drinking night up into the mountains, and decided that they were too drunk to drive. So they started walking, but they lost their track in the dark and fell down from a mountain plateau. Both died instantly and left behind distraught teenage kids and husbands.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I use to go camping a lot and of course drinking is involved. When you get drunk and walking around barefooted you tend to kick things in the dark. Anyways I woke up the next morning and found my foot was cut up. The sand and dirt hand dried up on the wounds so that wasn't pleasant to clean up and disinfect.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

The worst I ever saw was when a former friend got wasted, got angry at something another former friend said, and threw herself out of a moving car. The car was moving pretty slowly, so she didn’t break anything, but she got pretty cut and bruised up. It could have been a lot worse.

I was taken advantage of when I was blacked-out drunk, though. Which wasn’t a physical injury, but a mental injury, I suppose? That was the thing that made me cut way down, and then eventually stop.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I actually feel sleep while sitting in a chair. I slowly fell over and hit my head on the pavement. The very next day I woke up with a nasty wound on the top of my head. I got infected and I had to take antibiotics for it. Never again.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I once got lost in the woods at night and I was pretty scared. I was nearly wasted and I couldn't walk 2 meters without tripping.
    I made it to a home there, fortunately, but I had a lot of wounds and bruises when I looked at myself in the mirror in the morning.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've been quite lucky to be honest and I can't say that I've ever had an injury as such.

My pride and ego have been hurt a few times though, especially the morning after when you remember what you've done the night before.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, haha... this thread brings back memories, which now I laugh at so much.
    I'd say that the worst case when I was drunk and got hurt at the same time was 7 years ago, when I fell from the 2nd floor of a building. Yes, it is as bad as it sounds. The doctors told me that I was lucky for being alive, and that I didn't develop any sequelae, as my head got seriously injured.
  9. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I have fallen and broken my left ankle twice while drunk. The second time, it did not heal properly, and two years later it is still in pain and deformed. The places I have fallen were in fact dangerous, even outside of a drinking setting (down a set of very steep stairs and in a very dangerous ditch at the bottom of a porch). I do not necessarily feel guilty or associate drinking with the injuries as they could have happened to anyone.
  10. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Man I'm sorry about all that. I have experienced some injury too but it's mostly falling off the stairs when I was drunk!
  11. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I came back home after some quite heavy drinking in a party, and trying to go up to my bedroom fell of the stairs. Woke up next morning with a severe headache, nothing serious thanks god.
  12. DarLynn

DarLynn Member

well... I just recently got so drunk while making dinner with my boyfriend, I APPARENTLY (can't remember) got very mad about his bad cooking (he is a bad cook but...) I took a dinner plate full of spaghetti, and slammed it on the counter, breaking the plate and splattering spaghetti EVERYWHERE,........ the plate, MY THUMB, and sauce EVERY WHERE. Apparently I gave no attention to my cut thumb which soaked up blood through six bandages while I continued to eat spaghetti with my good hand, (with ought utensils,) like an animal, while my thumb continued to bleed! I woke up the next morning to spaghetti sauce, blood, broken ceramic, and realized I was LUCKY my thumb stopped bleeding, and I NEEDED STITCHES. I went to the walk in clinic and received SIX stitches in my thumb!
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

I have never had serious injuries being drunk. I guess my worst one is when I fell and twisted my ankle while walking home from a party. It was a nasty twist and I ended up on crutches. I don't drink as much now and incidents like that luckily don't happen anymore. :)
  14. sunwalker

sunwalker Member

I broke my knuckle when I was drunk at a party once. It wasn't even a fight just sheer stupidity. We were all kicking a metal door for some reason (AC/DC was on and we were all completely hyper). The door felt really flimsy when kicking it so I decided to punch it.. It wasn't as flimsy as I thought and I ended up shattering my pinky knuckle.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I fell down a spiral staircase at a nightclub and broke 2 ribs. I wasn't blind drunk, just a bit merry and must have slipped on someting whilst coming down the stairs. It didn't actually hurt until I woke up the next day - then, it was agony and it put me off going out for a few months.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've been luck so far. The only one I can think of is, one night, I got home really drunk and forgot about my ceiling fan. I didn't cut the tube before hanging it, so it's pretty low. I was taking off my t-shirt, and I forgot all about the ceiling fan, until it struck my fingers. Man, it felt like they've been chopped off, but, as you know, I was drunk, and I soon forgot about it. When I woke up the next morning, I freaked out when I saw all the blood on the sheets. I didn't know where it came from until I moved my hand and felt the pain. It was so swelled up, it looked like a blown rubber hand glove.
  17. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I don't drink so I can't share my experiences because I don't have them but I can tell you what happen to a friend of mine which was hilarious and quite nasty too. Basically after a big party, where he got drunk badly, he started to apporaching girls and suddenly he basically took his short off and underwears. What the girl did was basically kick him in the nuts... I don't want to tell you how went then but you can gues... hospital ... several days at home.
  18. Farris

Farris Member

Guess I'm bass-ackwards on this one. I never got hurt when I was drunk, but I have been a complete klutz since getting sober.
    Go figure...
  19. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Oh, this one made me laugh. When I turned twenty one I had already been drinking for some time before that but like most people I felt this would be the birthday to rule them all. We happened to find a spot that had a 'ladies night' where certain drinks were free for women. It being my birthday as well only helped (hurt?) the situation.

So, after drinking there for around two hours we walked (stumbled?) our way to a karaoke bar where they were giving out fee packs of Camel menthol they were testing on the market. We grabbed around ten packs in total between 3 people & head to the train tracks to 'run them' (my idea) while smoking (others idea) all the way to where we lived (which happened to be near the tracks). Mind you this wasn't blocks away it was quite a few miles. We took a wrong turn on the tracks somewhere & found ourselves at a viaduct. My other two friends started to climb down the side. I, however, did not want to dirty my outfit so decided I would million dollar man jump off the viaduct, landed on a slant of land, & popped as well as broke my bones. One of my friends carried me to a cab that continued to ask if we were going to the hospital based on the look of my leg but I refused & demanded he go to Taco Bell for some cinnamon twists. To which my friend said, 'Let's not do that'. I went home & laid down only to wake up in several hours later to find I could not move & would not be going to work that morning.

That was the only real time I could blame alcohol for assisting me in breaking bones.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Wow, what stories you folks have to tell. Fortunately or unfortunately I can't offer any as I have never been drunk myself. Was I missing something? Apparently not:). I am too much of a scaredy cat for that kind of excitement. Anyway I am glad we are here to look back and laugh in some instances.