An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worst of Withdrawal - Symptoms

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Shimus, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

If you're recovering, are currently withdrawing, or just know someone who is - what was their personal process like? I'm gathering some information for a study I'm compiling, it would be helpful to hear in-depth stories. From breaking sweats and nightmares to mood swings and fevers, I've seen a bunch of different documented side-effects of "Withdrawal" so I'm intrigued.

I myself had ran the gamut on drugs. I did things I wasn't proud of. When coming down off said drugs, I experienced a hellish migraine and the shivers/chills along with vomiting and night sweats/terrors. So I hope that other people can be honest and tell me what they felt, or what they saw other feel...
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've experienced serious withdrawal effects from both booze, blow and nicotine if you want to count that. For me, the physical withdrawal never got to me. I mean, I've been terribly sick before without issue. It's the mental effects that really got me. The anger, cravings and depression.

In both circumstances, I got into my - at the time - drug of choice because I was going through a rough time in my life. It made addiction much more difficult in that when I'd be getting clean, I couldn't differentiate between withdrawal symptoms and life. I'd naturally assume that life was always this depressing when sober, which significantly lowered my incentive to quit. If I had known that my depression was just a withdrawal symptom, I'm sure quitting would have been that much easier. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.
  3. Morgan

Morgan Member

Withdrawal symptoms can be really painful. I remember going through them while at work. It makes it very difficult to work or do anything at all. In my case I was busy trying to control the symptoms and spent less time focusing on work.
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

In recent years, when I've been drinking heavily for days straight, I will start dry heaving randomly. It's really annoying and I cannot seem to control it. It feels like I want to throw up everything in my stomach, but nothing is coming out but air. I get horrible headaches when this happens too, and sometimes it's gotten so bad that my stomach muscles become sore.

Another weird thing is my head will sometimes feel as if someone put a garden hose in my ear and turned it on full blast. I will feel this rush of fluid go through my whole head, and get really disoriented and dizzy from it. I am not sure what is causing this, but I get it a lot if I make any quick movements with my head, or when I go to lay down and tip my head back too far.

With cocaine, it's always embarrassing when you start having nasal leakage, and there's a very noticeable white trail of dripping out of your nostrils for everyone to see. I remember being out at bars or restaurants, then going into the bathroom and noticing it in the mirror, feeling like a total idiot knowing that everyone else saw it.
  5. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

The most exceedingly awful manifestations of alcohol withdrawal for me was my sleeping pattern, I couldn't rest for no less than 3 weeks after, and the restlessness was likewise shocking. What's more it was additionally hard managing people and circumstances without drinking. I sensed that I was in an outside spot.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I remember that only too well! Looking back on those days, I do wonder what a state I must have looked!
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

My ex husband was court ordered to wear an ankle monitor that detected if there was alcohol in his blood stream. The man had been drunk for seven years prior. He would literally wake up and drink before he ate, drink all afternoon then go out at night and get really trashed. Needless to say that when the ankle monitor went on his withdrawal was no joke. He pretty much spent the first week hiding in the bathroom because he was vomiting and sweating constantly. He had the shakes terribly and couldn't function at all for about 6 days. He didn't eat much and at one point we thought he would need to be hospitalized. The crazy thing is that even after all the pain of getting clean the first thing he did when the monitor came off was 'celebrate' by going out and getting wasted.
  8. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

A friend of mine has been throwing up for weeks as she experiences withdrawal from cigarettes. She also has fever and wasn't always in the mood. Always tired and nauseous.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I quit smoking about a month and a half ago and I am still having some anxiety issues. When I get extremely stressed out I get minor hot flashes, despite the fact I am still 15 years or so away from menopause and I get a sharp panic feeling in my stomach.
  10. ebzo

ebzo Member

I myself havent had any bad experiences but i know someone who has. A friend of mine is very much addicted to cocaine. She uses every day/ every other day. When she uses its not just one liners, its literally grams and grams. Anyway about 8 Months ago she attempted to stop using, which did not prove as easy as she had thought. Her withdrawals got so bad that she became very angry towards anyone and everyone around her including myself. She would me so angry at times i found it easier to distance myself from her to let her try to get through it. She was having cold sweats through out the night to the point where she just physically couldnt take it any more. Unfortunately she has relapsed now and we are doing all we can to her her get better.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

All you can do is stick by her and show her that you are there and care about her. Sometimes it takes a few times of relapse before someone kicks their habit for good. They have to see the beauty in being sober and not see sobriety as an awful bad punishment.
  12. petersos

petersos Member

My uncle when he is coming of Alcohol has gets angry and violent. One time he almost punched my mother it was so frightening I had to man handle him so he wouldn't try again. In addition to that he also start to get really insulting whatever comes to him is exactly what you hear. Finally, fever he just start sweating until his clothes just get soaked. I at times wonder is he is doing alcohol alone.