An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worst states\cities to recover in?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Hyperion, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

In your experience, what are some of the worst (or best) cities or states to seek recovery help? This includes the culture of the state and how prone people are to a particular type of drug abuse. Please list what kind of abuse is most\least prevalent in the area. My vote goes to Massachusetts for heroin and alcohol abuse because heroin has almost turned into just another drug there and it is so easy to come by. I worry about some of the nice, beautiful people I met there who were recovering from heroin addiction. I usually advised them to move when they got the chance. I hate to keep bringing up New England, but I have lived all over the country and never experienced such an overall screwed-up place.
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

For heroin, I would say my city of St. Louis. Among young people with money, it's an epidemic. It used to just be a street drug with an image of street people and prostitutes using it. Now, it's a party drug for young people with money.
    We're also pretty high in the meth category. There used to be reports of people finding meth labs all the time. It's died down a little but it's still pretty bad.
  3. Hyperion

My last roommate was from STL and he said the same thing. My mother lives in a rural part of eastern VA and they recently had a giant meth bust that was opporating out of a local business near some very fancy restaurant. It was an odd thing to read about in the local papers. There is so much money in ruining peoples lives it's sickening.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am not sure about what specific/certain cities are the worst for recovering/struggling addicts to live in. But I think any city or area that would tempt or trigger you to take drugs, alcohol, and other substances would never be ideal for you. However, if you can handle yourself pretty well, you can easily say no to each one of them. As for me, it's not really about the city, it's about yourself.
  5. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I agree with @dyanmarie25. If the surroundings are such that you find it easy to fall back to the addiction may be deemed unfit. This might be as a result of the ease of getting the substance or the number of people who are into it.
  6. Hyperion

I guess my question was then, what are the worst places in America for every addiction? Like a map. I'm curious because I have lived all over the country and it is different everywhere.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I don't have personal experience of this., however, I would say Miami as florida has been known as a cocaine based economy at least in the past. I think drugs are prevalent there due to the club scene and the culture of eccess. Washington D.C. historically, has been a big drug town as well. For instance, several years ago the Mayor was arrested for crack!
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think it call comes down with the person. For example, if someone is also having problems with anxiety he/she'll not be able to stay in NYC certainly. Being around that many people would probably make an anxious person go insane, so I guess they're better off choosing a quieter city/state.
  9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Some of the people I know report bad experiences trying to recover undergoing rehab in the Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey, commonly promoted to be the places with a large number of detox facilities but yet places that oftentimes are expensive but set in places where drug is a common problem down the streets.
  10. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Heroin and Methamphetamine are very accessible in Indianapolis, In. In the ghettos as well as suburban areas. The young people here think its cool now to be a Heroin junkie. Im a recovering Heroin addict, Year by year ive seen the astronomical usage and demand for Heroin. There has to be a change in attitude in the Powers to be. I think everyone is just turning there heads to the epidemic.
  11. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

When I was out in LA any kind of drug you wanted including syringes was easy to get in the downtown area. I seen people shoot dope right on the street. Thats bad.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not live in the US so, I cannot answer that particular person.
    But in here, it will be a worst country or city to recover in alcohol addition. Alcohol can easily be bought on retail stores as even minors can buy it even they should not be allowed to. There are alcohol drinking sessions on various street corners even without occasions.
  13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I would say its pretty bad everywhere these days. Drug use is pretty rampant throughout the entire country. There may be some differences as to what the drug of choice is in certain areas. Meth for example is big in a lot of rural areas. Of course big cities like New York and Seattle are known for having widely available drugs.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I lived in Texas for a while and let me tell you el paso is awful... I think you can get drugs so easily over there because that city is where most drugs enter the country. Awful place to live, so many junkies in my former neighborhood! Plus ciudad juarez is right next to it, who would want to live next to ciudad juarez!? That place is a nightmare for recovering addicts.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Seattle has a very bad heroin problem right now. It is overall a good city to live in or visit, but there are some neighborhoods that are plagued with homeless people and drug addicts. The city's solution is to turn a blind eye to the problem.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh that's funny. Yeah you are right where you are would influence one's ability to recover properly. There is probably a way to search the statistics of an area. Drugs are kind of all over. Mentality would be an even better one to keep in mind.
    He says New England Mass, is screwed up. Probably because it is so close to New York. It is pretty messed up there with drugs too. Mentality varies. These sort of things are contagious and get wide spread. Heroin, yeah I don't get that one. The fascination to me is odd.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To be honest I think that will all depends on the individual. While I've no doubt that some areas only hinder the recovery process, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you go, it's you the person that controls how you cope, not necessarily the place you live.
  18. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

Detroit would probably be an obvious answer. Even the police force has stopped responding to calls there. How horrible is that? I believe Houston is a good place to recover in. It's where I recovered through my difficult times. But it all really depends on the person and each individual's preferences.
  19. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard that Baltimore probably is the worst place for a recovering heroin addict to live in. But fact is there is virtually no place in the U.S you won't find drugs that's unless you move to one of those small towns that have close to no contact with the rest of the nation.