An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worst thing about smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I hate the fact my fiance is a slave to his cigarettes :( I don't like his breath at all, but I don't dare to tell him because I believe that would really hurt him. I also dislike the fact that smell seems to cling to everything. His hair smells like that, his clothes... everything. I also hate the fact he has to take his time to go outside in the cold just to smoke too. But what I hate most is when we are walking outside and he starts smoking, then I end up breathing all that crap too.
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

It's kind of funny to hear of people complain about how much they hate the smell of tobacco, when they may not realize it's actually a scent used in many colognes and perfumes. Granted, it's blended with many other scents to produce the final fragrance, but it's in there, lol.

I've never minded the smell of tobacco itself, especially if it was burning from a pipe or a fresh cigar. But I dislike when a room, or someone's clothing or whatever simply smell like a dirty ashtray. The actual smell of a burning cigarette or someone smoking near by has never really bothered me, it's more the smell of the charred remains afterwards.

With regards to second hand smoke, vs other drugs - it's actually been shown that our drinking water contains traces of many different drugs including anti depressants. And most currency often has traces of cocaine on it, due to people rolling them up and using them as straws to snort it.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

The $$ spent.
    The nasty smell.
    The power it has over you.
    The negative health effects (#1 killer in the world.)
    The social stigma.
    The list goes on and on and on.
  4. here2help_27

here2help_27 Member

I'd say the worst thing about smoking is the smell; you simply can't get rid of it! You smell the smoke in your hair and clothes, your nails and teeth become yellow as well (which is not a pretty sight to behold) and your breath stinks, too. It takes away energy as well because smokers are too concerned with smoking instead of investing that time and money into something creative and positive. The media tries to represent it as something "cool", but in all reality, it's just a dirty addiction like any other.
  5. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I agree with all your points, I would just like to add that the worst thing about smoking in my opinion is the effect it can have on our well being and the ones that surround us.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think the worst part about smoking is the smell and cost. It's like you pay to make yourself smell like cigarettes, lol. I don't like it when the smell sticks to my clothes and hair. And of course, it can cause health issues and even death.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. nick92

nick92 Member

I believe the worst thing about smoking is what it actually does to your health. Forget the money, they are not that important after all. Forget the smell, you can wash your clothes and brush your teeth and you are good as new. But how about your body? Your heart? The circulation of blood in your organism?

As an ex-smoker, I noticed a couple of bad things which happened with my health. I became tired very quickly, I had problems getting out of bed in the morning, I wasn't having an appetite or feel hungry, workouts at the gym were poor and so on. At the end of the day, your health is more important than anything else and this is a great reason to stop smoking.
  8. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

The smell sticks to you like a fly on crap. You can tell if somebody smokes just by walking by them.
  9. Devking

Devking Member

My father smokes cigarettes. Often he cough after smoking and some time he cough loudly and continuously. I didn't like it. I tell my father about it to quit smoking cigarettes. He promised me that he try his best to do it.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think you nailed it on the nose. It is slavery, whether you like it or not. Well put.
  11. Oguh

Oguh Member

I think what did it for me was the smell. I just couldn't bare it all all after a while. Funnily enough it got to me when I was watching the first episode of Mad men where everyone is smoking all the time, an I was smoking while watching it so it kinda was like if I could smell what was going on in the show. After that I almost completely stop although I do smoke an Ecig.
  12. lmilic

lmilic Member

The worst thing about smoking for me is that Ican'trun anymore like I used to run, even when I have relationship with a girlI feel like Ican't give my 100percent, if you know what Imean, so far that is my biggest problem with smoking, but there is one more,Ican't stop
  13. I never knew that smoking for six months would have such a great impact on my life. I am an athlete by profession. I train hard, I mean really hard. Last year I got into this habit of smoking the cigar my friend had got me from his trip. What started as an experiment turned out into an addiction. After six months of this incident, I started realizing the result. I would start becoming breathless and I couldn't train the way I wanted to. That was the last day I ever smoked. Running is my dream, I will never let anything come between us.
  14. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

The worst thing about smoking tobacco is the smell it leaves on your body, clothes, furniture or car. Not to mention, if you smoke in your home, it leaves the walls, paint and ceilings a yellow color. I have been in a home where they even tried to paint over the existing paint, and I could still smell the smoke. It turns teeth yellow, fingers yellow and gives you bad breathe. With so many disadvantages to smoking, I can not even imagine how the industry sells so many packs of cigarettes. I can remember when I was little and my parents smoked. They would go out on the porch to smoke and then come back in, and they would still have the smoke smell lingering on them. They would always try to give us a kiss goodnight, and I felt like I was licking the inside of a ash tray. Yuck!