New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worst Withdrawal Symptom?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by LoveEcho, Jan 18, 2016.

1. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Thinking back to withdrawls... for me the worst was the body aches and diarrhea. Though I was addicted to opioids and had been experiencing opiod induced constipation for sometime... so, im sure that had a lot to do with it.

What was your worst experience with withdrawls?
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

The worst part for me was dizziness for no reason at all, and feeling thirsty all the time.

Of course, I was aware the my thirst was a trick of my mind to give it alcohol, but I kept giving it plain water, fruit juices and even soft drinks, but I did all possible to fall with into its trap.
  3. The worst part of my Withdrawals was a lot of headaches. I felt like someone was drilling through my brain. And I was getting a lot of Anxiety. Small things would infuriate me. But all this changed when I started to realize that everything was fine. The Anxiety is still prevalent, but I would rather be rarely Anxious than be a Smoker. All this is gradually lightening and I have now realized the effect it had on my mind and body.
  4. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

The two worst withdrawal symptoms I recall was having extreme vertigo and throwing up. I tried to figure out ways to not want to throw up or to correct my eyes when that happened, but eventually it went away. It was not pleasant at all to deal with. I'm glad that it eventually subsided. The other problem was being tired and lethargic immediately after withdrawals. That too, eventually went away. It took a while before it did.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Oh, now that doesn't sound too nice at all. I'm glad I never experienced anything that extreme although I did suffer with extreme body aches, (hyper)tension, cold sweats, insomnia and depression. I think the worst withdrawal symptoms I have experienced though was coming off freebase cocaine. Splitting headaches, peculiar thoughts, strange overwhelming compulsions, severe body aches and pains, feeling/being physically sick and just a constant craving for more. All very tense and an absolute nightmare to go through and I wasn't even using it for that long.
  6. khaye29

khaye29 Member

for me the worst withdrawal symptoms I have experience is depression body ache insomnia, and I was so irate to the point that my husband and I fight and threw things. and I usually overthink about my partner that even though he's not doing something wrong I always assume that there is. I realize that if you wanted to get rid off it totally you might go through a hard process dealing with your mind, emotions, and health condition.
  7. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

It's not very glamorous, but for me the nausea associated with those epic hangovers was the worst. It saddens me to think of all those lost days curled up feeling sick just because I was under the demon alcohol's spell. I'm just glad I manager to come through relatively unscathed.
  8. emeraldnights

emeraldnights Member

The worst withdrawal symptom I had was feeling like I constantly needed to move my legs or stretch them. It was terrible at night and I would be up constantly walking and stretching my legs. It sounds like nothing compared to the body aches, the vomiting, the diarrhea, etc.............but I felt like it would drive me out of my mind. It was a horrible feeling.
  9. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Mine would have to be the little mental blips that I would get where I felt like I was floating. I would need to stop and catch my breath and need to grab onto something to make sure that I did not fall, but I think that was mainly because that is what happened to me when I had my big accident. Those combined with some bad headaches sure made for a fun couple of weeks.
  10. takeajk

takeajk Member

My worst withdrawal symptom was one day I was sitting in class and immediately started twitching and sweating. My throat dried right up and I felt like something was pulling me apart in every direction. Most horrific experience in my life.
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аftеr dеtоxing аt а hоspitаl sеvеrаl timеs frоm аlсоhоl, аnd pаying thоusаnds in mеdiсаl bills, I dесidеd tо gо it аlоnе. Fоr thrее dаys my hаnds shооk sо bаdly I соuld nоt hоld а fоrk. I wаs соnsumеd by аnxiеty аnd this оvеrwhеlming sеnsе оf drеаd. I соuldn't еаt. I соuldn't slееp. I соuld bаrеly wаtсh T.V. Thе gооd nеws is thаt it didn't lаst fоrеvеr. Аftеr аbоut hаlf а wееk I stаrtеd tо fееl slightly nоrmаl аgаin. But thеrе wеrе timеs whеn I thоught I'd hаvеа hеаrt аttасk оr wоuldn't mаkе it. If u hаvе insurаnсе, yоu shоuld sееа dосtоr аnd gеt thеm tо hеlp yоu undеr mеdiсаl supеrvisiоn. Mоst dеtоxеs аrе prеtty unwеlсоming plасеs, аnd еxpеnsivе tо bооt But аt lеаst thеy pump yоu with еnоugh vаlium sо yоu dоn't hаvе tо еxpеriесеаll thе disсоmfоrt...аnd yоu wоn't risk thе pоssibility оf еnding up dеаd.
  12. doxie

doxie Member

Dizziness. It was really awful. I couldn't stand up without feeling nauseous. Then came the hopeless and agitation.
  13. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

The worst withdrawal symptom for me was anxiety when I decided to quit drinking. I would also wake up in the middle of the night because of nightmares in a cold sweat.
  14. remnant

remnant Community Champion

My worst withdrawal symptom was having to go to work without having taken tea. It got tougher taking into account the fact that I was hungry. I couldn't concentrate and was generally irritable. I felt a strange thirst that couldn't be quenched with water. To conclude, it seems I have lost the war on caffeine addiction.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think the worst and often overlooked withdrawal symptom one can experience is death. Depending on the substance in question, withdrawal itself can be very dangerous if not managed properly.
    True concern likes this.
  16. TungstenCube

TungstenCube Member

I think the worst, in my experience, have been the pounding headaches that I receive when I went through my detox. The problem was that I wanted to detox without painkillers, which made it impossible to treat the headaches and I just had to wait them out. It was hard to focus with the pounding headache, and it was so tempting to return to the addiction in the first place.
  17. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

If your worse symptom is a head ache, even a terrible one, count yourself lucky. It can be a lot worse.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Amen, @JohnBeaulieu. Amen.
    True concern likes this.
  19. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Yep and seizures,hallucination,and extremely intense pain for 27 days straight pure hell.Same opioids 320mg's a day of Oxycontin and well ya anyway that sh×t sucked
  20. True concern

True concern Community Champion

You speak the truth without doubt unfortunately i know from experience as i was once pronounced dead and woke just before the white sheet covered my face.