An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would Changing The Scene Actually Help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If you move from one city to another for a fresh start would this stop a recovering addict from relapsing?

While I must admit staying away from people and places that could trigger you to relapse certainly can help that by itself unfortunately isn't enough. No matter where you go, you'll still find drugs. However a commitment to stay sober/use no drugs + changing the scene could free someone from the addiction trap.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it can help as well. Triggers for a relapse, if you can avoid them, do so. It might be difficult to be away from your family, friends and known life, but sometimes it's the only way to avoid being addicted to that substance again. That being said, changing the scene is not a surefire way to avoid a relapse. There is still that possibility that you will be addicted again even if you changed the scenery.

However, doing so means you will remove a big trigger in your life. And if you're okay with that, and you have the courage to leave everything behind, I highly encourage you to do so. A breath of fresh air, a new surroundings, new people, might just be the change that you need to help you in your recovery. But always remember that a strong mind and a strong goal will always be a big help in avoiding a relapse.
    MrsJones and Rainman like this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think it's one of those things that has black and white pros and cons to it. Moving to a new place rids you from old influences but it may also rid you from stability (home, family members, a job) and not having those things can be awfully tough and may even cause more problems. I would say it's probably a case by case thing as to whether it would work or not.
    MrsJones likes this.
  4. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I don't think that changing the scene would actually help. It would be just like one of those New Year's Eve resolutions very few of the people actually respect.

People need help, but they also need will and discipline.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally I think a change of scenery does help, and while a lot of people say it's just a way of running from your problems, but I think sometimes people do need a change of scenery just so they can start a fresh and deal with their issues without the emotional baggage that staying in the same place can bring.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think by all means a change in environment can also help. But you should not only rely on that. It still depends on the person itself if he/she is really determined to change their addiction problems then they will avoid the temptations again all by themselves.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well it may be necessary to completely change the enivronment for the person to start and maintain their sobriety, but being committed to it and having a change within is the most important thing when maintaining sobriety. It is important to do at all times.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My parent's house was probably a big anxiety-giving factor in my life, simply because of how I lived and all the memories that weren't so bright. As soon as I moved out and started to meet new people my life took a change for the better, so I'd say a change of scenery is a good idea in specific situations.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, the only thing that changes is part of the context of the main problem is always going to be there. I have to admit that it may be a good idea if you didn't really had a good experience livin on your city and if it becomes hard to live there due to all the memories, people that may be triggers for you, etc. but at the end of the day, one thing remains constant: you need to control yourself while you're in recovery.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, if the area that you moved in is not an area where drugs can be easily acquired then that could certainly help. But like what you said what matters most is the commitment of the recovering addict to stay clean.
  11. pwarbi

A lot of people will associate a certain place with a certain problem in their life, and taking away that place will help in their recovery.

Like I said before, in one sense it can be seen as running away but for some people a fresh start in a new place is the only way they'll be able to come to terms with their issues and moving away can be the only option.
  12. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Why don't you head into a spiritual retreat - some place like a camp. I hear great things about the Dalai Lama and his monthly camp - you get to live simply, you wake up, work out, do yoga, meditate, eat fresh food, and drink pure water. Maybe a cup of tea. There is a place in Arizona too, if you can't travel internationally. Live there and you'll feel the change.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I think that if a conscious decision to change is made a new environment can be beneficial. It may be nice to have a fresh start. Choosing new friends wisely. It's true though. Doesn't matter where you go drugs pop up sometimes when you least expect it. You are still the same person so it is really up to the individual. There's no change of environment or new city to live in that will make that decision for you. Your outlook and mood would change. I think that a person needs to deal with things like this where they are. A new city can mean completely different methods. I lived in a different state and city for 10 years. I can't say I was happy with what I saw there with drugs. It was easier to get away from than where I grew up; it was just different.
  14. hg088

hg088 Member

I haven't changed city but I've change residence, job and environment in general and I've still relapsed. I tried to blame my surrounding for my problems but I now realize that, at least in my case, the problem is me and nobody else.
  15. melody

melody Active Contributor

Sometimes, not only can a change of scene help, it can also be imperative. I think, for some people, there is a point where starting over gives a person a new chance at life. If the scene you are in is a constant reminder of your past, then your brains associations with your surrounding and drugs can cause a lot of issues.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, this could actually help a person who's trying to recover. He/she will have a new environment, meet new friends, and find new career, and sooner or later, he/she might forget his/her addictions completely, and be able to move forward in life. But yes, it's not really an assurance so recovering addicts should really stay focused on their goal to become clean and sober.
  17. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

In fact, try to change the scene regularly in any case. You don't need to move away from your city permanently either. You can simply change neighborhoods.
  18. pwarbi

Nobody is saying that a change of scenery and all your problems will be gone, and in all cases the change is only the first step to dealing with the real problem, and the real problem is you yourself.

All the change does though, is make it a little easier, and anything that does that is beneficial in my opinion.
  19. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I don't know, but it's quite easy to give advice as long as we are not in the addicted person's shoes. In theory, everything can help, but this doesn't mean anything unless it's applied consistently.

I think that it can only help if in that place is a person that keep's the (former) addicted person accountable.
  20. pwarbi

I agree and the person that leaves a place to help with their addiction, does still need to realise that leaving is a step to make recovery easier for them, it's not a way of recovering completely.

Facing your demons from a fresh place can give you the impetus to motivate yourself, but as long as you remember the initial problem in all this is you, and you can't run away from yourself, no matter how much you may want to.