An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would Helping Other Addicts Be Helpful?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It is believed that teaching others about drugs, their effects, why an addict should try to get clean, etc, would be a great way to 'ground' someone who is trying to stay sober and further strengthen their resolve to fight their cravings.

In theory it does sound great because you'd also be helping others but what do you guys think? Would this be a great strategy for staying sober?
  2. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I think this would be a great strategy for staying sober. Experience is the greatest teacher. This would also give the former addict a purpose and way to give back. They help themselves while helping others through their recovery.
  3. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

This sort of idea is fantastic for addicts, as it shows that anyone can succeed in reforming. Nothing is more motivating than seeing someone who has succeeded succeed, and knowing that you can survive and achieve whatever you put your mind to.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, it's pretty helpful for both sides. You both learn something about each other and progress together somehow. And you feel pretty accomplished doing it. I should try this as well.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I think this would be a very effective strategy to stay sober because not only does it give the addict something positive to focus on but it also allows them to see addiction in others and thus will more likely give them a better and broader perspective on what they hope to achieve.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think this really depends on the individual in question. If a person is still struggling with relapse then I would think that he or she should stay away from other addicts that are at higher risk. Now if a person is clean as a whistle and hasn't looked back, then sure why not give back.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it will work, if the person has given up the addiction and trying to teach others why this is bad and what can happen if ignored. The person may be able to save a life, or even save families and remember what he or she lost due to drug addiction and may be able to make sure the same does not happen. The person may realize, family and friends more important than drugs and will give it up in time and see the bad effects of it and recover from it.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think it's a natural process, if we overcome addiction we might simply want to give back and help those in similar situation to ours. Others might just want to forget it though, it depends on the person.
  9. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

What a wonderful idea! I think that this would help addicts in realizing that "hey, there are people who have gone through this and have something to say about it" making them realize that there are things outside of addiction. I know that while addiction has taken over you it is hard to look beyond getting what you think you need.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I definitely think so. There are a lot of people who would be more inclined to do things if someone else was doing it with them. At the very least, you can give them some sort of support (if you aren't an addict yourself). Supporting them in terms of giving them money to buy whatever it is they want to buy would be a horrible idea, on the other hand.
  11. monsterific

monsterific Member

Someone who knows the struggle will definitely be a good person to support and encouragement for others to stay strong and keep fighting. There are times that these people are really weak when it comes to temptation and receiving assistance from someone who understands, or was able to succeed will be a great encouragement. I hope that I can find someone like that for my sister.. sometimes, I feel like I'm not good enough as a support for her. In 10 years she can stay clean for a couple of months then she'd go back to her addiction. :(
  12. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Making an effort to look outside yourself and your issues can actually be very theraputic, talking to other addicts and sharing your stories, struggles and hopes for the future will not only give you release but also help the other person find hope and camaraderie.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

When you're in a cornered situation, any form of help - especially when there's heartfelt sincerity - is welcome. That's why victims of drug abuse who receive a steady stream of support from family and friends would always fare better in rehab centers. The substance abuser who has overcome addiction will use the strength he received from others and pay it forward.
  14. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I think that it will be a great strategy; when we help others we benefit as well. I wish I had someone to assist me when I became so addicted to alcohol. I am happy today that I was able to overcome the problem. I try to help anyone I come across struggling with this kind of problem.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think for a lot of people this type of effect is probably therapeutic and it will help them keep their life together and keep their vision clear. Like everything else, though, it probably won't work as well for some other types of personalities that might do better just forgetting about the whole ordeal altogether.
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I guess that there are some people who just want to turn their back on all of that and forget that it ever happened, but I think that if we have the experience it's our obligation to help.
  17. ic3squid

ic3squid Member

It's a great strategy, you can learn too how those people overcome their addictions if you are an addict yourself. One can learn a lot from other people, even if they are doing the same thing.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This could be a really good idea. I imagine that the desire not to let your mentees down would encourage you to stay clean/sober. No disrespect to my previous therapists/workers intended, but I have found I could never relate to those who had no idea what addiction was really like. I have only ever been able to open up to former addicts.
  19. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, why not? As long as s/he can take the struggle of not getting influenced by other addicts who are trying to recover too. The resolve to stay sober should be strong so much so that others won't be able to pull him back down. If s/he can resist it, then it is a good way to share his/her story with others, help them to stay away from vices and motivate them to continually do so.

S/he will even be a really credible speaker having experienced addiction and the struggles that go with overcoming it. For sure, the audience can relate well to his/her experiences and vice-versa.
  20. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I think it could work, but there would be instances when it might not. I think people struggling would take comfort from being round people they can relate to. So, I would be more in favour then against. People learn so much from experience I'm sure there would be a lot of inspiration found there.