An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would Marijuana stop being blamed for most things if it were legal everywhere?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by thepieeatingjay, Feb 22, 2015.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

One thing I've seen too many times is Marijuana (weed) being the fall guy for every accident and/or crime out there. In fact, people even like to believe the lie that it's illegal for those reasons in the first place. Yet people that say that don't seem to see the irony of cigarettes and alcohol being legal, yet causing so much more damage.

So I began to wonder, if marijuana was made legal like alcohol and cigarettes, would people stop using weed as a focal point of blame and FINALLY take responsibility for themselves?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't know. I mean look at cigarettes for example. Over here in Canada, we've got more weed users than cigarette users because weed is the "cool" thing to do while cigarettes are generally frowned upon. Cigarettes are legal and they take way more heat than pot any day.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, I don't think they would. They would blame all the ills of society on the legalization of cannabis, probably whilst smoking a cigarette and chugging a beer down at the same time!
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I doubt it. People look for any excuse possible sometimes not to own up to their mistakes and miserable judgements. It is really sad and a mindset that some people are just programmed with.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that legalizing it will make things better or make those users realize that they commit mistakes because of it. They could deny it as much as they want it. Any substances can be abused whether legal or illegal. But on legal substances, more have chances to access it and abuse it.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Legalizing weed wouldn't change anything. Whilst it's still illegal in many places now there are those who use it and while stoned, they engage in criminal activities. Should it be legalized everywhere, since the same people would still be smoking and a few of them would still be engaging in criminal activities, abuse of cannabis would still be identified as the cause for all those issues.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'll have to disagree with you there. Pot is illegal and is way easier to get than cigarettes or alcohol when you're underage. There are no "alcohol dealers" simply because their only customers would be those who can't buy it legally. But since pot is illegal there are way more people who are willing to stock up on it and sell it in an unregulated fashion.

Also, it's well known that cough syrup can mess you up for a night. From what I've seen, the legal cough syrup is abused a lot less than illegal drugs. It may also be worth noting that in holland, where pot is legal, not a whole lot of people smoke it.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that this can be true to all countries or places. Maybe on some countries, pot is easier to get as you said by teens than cigarettes and alcohol. But that could not be always true.
  9. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

I don't think so, people will put the blame on anything else that is out there, before they take the responsibility for their selves. If they didn't blame it on marijuana they would just find something else to blame it on. Legalizing marijuana is not the answer to to your question. If other illegal drugs became legal it would be the same deal. It would still be the drugs fault.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is much easier for people to put blame on anything instead of owning up to their own problems. As far as I know Marijuana does not hinder someone's judgement that much that they could do something without being aware that they did it. It is all an excuse.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's been a few years but from what I read places where smoking Marijuana is legal have lower crimes rates. Colorado is going to be a giant experiment on how the legalization will affect crime rate. I know there will be less pot dealers around town now that it can be sold legally.
  12. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Probably not, considering that stupid people making stupid mistakes on any drug will make that drug the sole factor.
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've rarely seen marijuana blamed for other crimes as of late & that's likely because of the legality issue being up in the air in the states. There was a time the propaganda you're referring to was prevalent in the media but currently it seems like the only time I hear about marijuana on the news is in connection to the new state that legalized or decriminalized it. So, I can't say I share the perspective.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I, think it is a bad thing when people try to blame marijuana when they hurt someone or do robberies and don't take responsibility for their consequences. Legalizing, it could work and may lead to more problems as people could use it all the time and also may not think what could happen to them and money will go towards that instead of the important things. I think it being legal, will maybe bring some changes though it will have to be seen will it be good or bad consequences and what affects it will have in the town it is allowed in.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People will always try and find something to blame to make an excuse for the way they act.
    If weed was legal they'd blame something else. Its more about taking responsibility for your own actions more than anything else. I believe in moderation and if people know their limit then most substances can be taken.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think that the damage of the initial connotations of past propaganda would ever be completely erased the way it is now for alcohol, but it may be wrong. Perhaps if a few more generations pass and we can finally look at it in a more objective way rather than having to be burdened by what the previous generation has lead us to believe then it might be possible, but for now I can see that a lot of people still like to cling on placing responsibility on everything but themselves.
  17. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

You can't necessarily blame marijuana for anything if it's not illegal. Just like alcohol doesn't necessarily give the attention that it used to back in the day simply because it has become a legal substance and it has been a legal substance for quite some time. When something is legal for a long period of time you can look at it in a negative manner because you see it in your grocery stores every single day.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

People blaming marijuana for the bad things in this world are dumb as hell. There are worse drugs out there, for example alcohol, which is much worse than weed. But they never consumed weed, so they won't know how it really is. Or they are defending alcohol as it's socially accepted.
  19. People that blame weed for all the evils of the world are ridiculous. I have seen very few deadly driving and smoking accidents publicized on television. I live in WI where drunk driving is a serious issue, and almost every day on the news I hear of someone who died from abusing alcohol. I never hear of any deaths from weed even though it is illegal in my state. I feel that if weed were legal here there would be less drinking and driving because people would be able to relax and get a buzz in a less dangerous manner than driving 20 miles to a bar and then driving home drunk.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Over here, weed isn't blamed as much as heavier drugs and alcohol, so even if weed was legalized, I think it would still not eclipse other substances because the effects of weed are not that strong and "mind-altering" as compared to other drugs. Even alcohol has a more harmful and stronger effect than weed.