An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would Nationwide Legalization Lead to Lower Crime Rate

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoshPosh, Apr 13, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As the title states, I think crime rate would go down. There would be no more back alley drug dealings with Marijuana. The city would be actually making money and better security, lighting, and infrastructure could be set in place. Lots of possibilities with this idea.

Your thoughts?
  2. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

I think so too. Current drug system all around the world is bad and filled with institutional dysfunction. System doesn't fight with drugs, it fights with people who use drugs. While tens of thousands of people are rotting in jail for minor drug charges, drug traffickers, dealers and narcos are counting their money. It needs to be changed.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, you can see Portugal's example. They've decriminalized almost every kind of drug, and now they can pride with a 50% reduction of crimes, along with consummation itself.
    I still don't understand their reasoning behind their unwillingness of not legalizing marijuana, but I'm sure that in the future, under people's pressure, they will. After all, it's a huge opportunity to make tax money. We'll wait and see; what else can we do? :)
  4. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Eh, I don't know. I would have to see the actual statistics on the crimes that are related to marijuana dealing specifically. There would still be a lot of crimes associated with other drugs and those who were previously dealing marijuana, may move into the harder drug circles instead. Also, I don't think that making it legal would completely kill the underground dealing either.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It may help in some ways, but a lot has to be done to change the economy and there is jobs for everyone around and also so people don't have to turn to crime to survive than the crime rate will lower. There needs to be changes so drugs is not used and people don't get addicted to it and lose their loved ones to it as well which is sad to see it happen. I hope everywhere in the world we change things so crime rates get lower and don't increase as well.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it depends on the country or areas. In here, I think it will make the situation worst than better. Just like alcohol which is legal here, there are lots of alcoholics around and even kids can simply buy alcohol on retail stores. I think that will also happen to marijuana if it will be legalized, more will be addicts on it.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this might depend a lot on the country and how they go about dealing with how they go about it. Theres a difference between legalizing somthing and de-criminalizing it. As far as marijuana is concerned I think a lot of the crime is committed by people who are dealing it and smoking it. Obviously de-criminalizing the drug would stop adding these people to the crime statistics so in a way that might give a slightly false reading because people will still be doing these things, but just wont be getting arrested or charged for it.
  8. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Yes, I think it'll be a better idea if they legalize Marijuana. I remember reading a report where they said that there has been less drug related crime in the states that have legalized Marijuana. So, I think that's setting a good example.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well, a lowered crime rate would be inevitable really - legalization means that there's one less crime to commit.

I think it's beneficial to the police department, freeing up time to deal with more serious matters. The extra revenue legalization brings is also a plus point.
  10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Literally of course the crime rate would go down. There are tons of people in prison for drug related crimes specifically connected to marijuana. Legalization would knock those numbers down in an instant. However, the truth about the back alley dealings are not going anywhere. The only thing that will change is what drugs those dealers are peddling. The weed dealer can dabble in the next drug & then the next. That's (amongst other reasons) why an examination of legalizing all drugs needs to be looked into further.
  11. pwarbi

That brings up another point when it comes to legalizing weed. The prison's are full of criminals that have been convicted on marijuana offences. So what happens to these people? Will their convictions be quashed and they will they be released? The fact that weed will have been legalized, does that mean that they would have been wrongfully convicted because what they did wasnt that bad anyway? Well, it couldnt have been that bad because its now legal, right?

So would that open up claims for compensation etc? Legalizing marijuana does need to be done in my opinion but theres obviously a lot to think about and how they go about it will be key I think.
  12. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I don't think they would simply release them, no. And they wouldn't allow for compensation either. Just because it may be legalized, doesn't make it any less of a crime when they did it. Best case scenario, those people would probably be made eligible for parole sooner or earlier releases maybe.
  13. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I believe that crime rate would definitely go down. If it's legalized everywhere, legalized vendors will slowly push out any illegal trade of the substance and therefore wean down illegal dealers to the core. Once the illegal trade of marijuana is cut, then there will undoubtedly be less violence. Also, everybody might just be high and mellow so they don't feel like killing or hurting anyone. Concerning that hypothesis, I'm not too sure.
  14. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I think it would to an extent. We wont see crime rate hit a zero. No way that is going to happen.. But I think that back alley dealings will drop and the city that has legalized marijuana use could possbily bump up security around neighborhoods. It could work. Is there numbers we can look at in the case of Colorado?
  15. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I think it would, but it should be controlled.
  16. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I say yes. The more rules, the more reasons for people to commit crime. It's dualities that are playing here.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That would depend. If the unemployment rate is still high,expect crime levels to persist even if we legalize drugs.
  18. pwarbi

The link between drug abuse and high unemployment is a big issue in a debate such as this I think. Even if it is legalized, if people can't afford to smoke it then crime will still be committed so that they can.

If it was legalized and given away free in every store then I think there would be a massive drop in crime.

By the way I'm not advocating that, it was just a point I was making.
  19. gracer

gracer Community Champion

As I've mentioned in another post, I think Marijuana will exist even with the passing of time. It has always existed and the production doesn't seem to decrease. Authorities for the longest time have been trying to eradicate it but it still grows like an ordinary grass in the fields. And the people who profit from it are big time drug lords who ruin the lives of many. So imagine if it is legalized and the production is done in a well-controlled environment and distributed in a strict manner. The law will see to it that transactions related to this herb are purely legal plus the profit will not go into a selfish drug lord's pocket.