An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

would this be consider an addiction to marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tabtabsss88, Jan 23, 2015.

1. tabtabsss88

tabtabsss88 Member

I suffer from depression and anxiety and I am a daily smoker. I have been smoking for 10 years. I am currently on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety but I feel like they don't work as good as smoking. Would you think this is an addiction? or self medicating?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

To be honest I think it's probably a little bit of both. Even if you are using it daily to self-medicate in order to relieve your symptoms of depression and anxiety, you are still likely to develop a (psychological) dependence on it. Can I ask, did you suffer with depression and anxiety before you started smoking marijuana?
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Do you think about quitting? I mean there was this one guy, I talked to who smoked and he had quit but had shortly relapsed. I too get depressed a lot since I do not have a job, which applying does me no justice.
  4. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think it may be a little bit of both as well. Unless you have a license of some sort that stated you can prescribe marijuana to yourself, I wouldn't call it self-medication. Try going without it for a couple of days and see how you feel. See how badly you want it and that will give you a good idea if you are addicted.
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

The only thing I would worry about is withdrawal syndrome. If you do go without using the marijuana then just be careful. I just do not try drugs since I already know that they come with consequences.
  6. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

It could be that you are self medicating because you do not feel that your medications are working. I would try to stop smoking and see if that makes your medications work better since marijuana can be a downer especially if you are already inclined to be depressed. Smoking marijuana while taking an anti-depressant could be causing the anti-depressant not work as well. If you notice no change in the way the medication works without smoking, I would consult your doctor and maybe changing your dose or the medication.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's more than self-medicating. Smoking for ten years. That certainly is an addiction. I believe that you've been using marijuana for so long that you believe that it works better than anti-depressants. Since marijuana can make such issues [anxiety and depression] worse, it's better to wean yourself off it and instead have more faith that the anti-depressants will do their job.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Dear OP... do you think there is a chance your habit of smoking pot could be making it worse for you? I've heard f so many cases in which smoking weed has made the anxiety issues of some people worse. You should look into possibility as well.
  9. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

It's probably both. But at least cannabis is only very mildly addictive. Anti-depressants have terrible side effects and are more addictive.

On the other hand, are you sure smoking every day isn't what caused you to go on anti-depressants to begin with? Sitting about all day getting wasted can definitely lead to low mood, at least indirectly as a result of doing nothing productive with your life.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't view marijuana an addictive or dangerous substance as some people would want us to believe, however, from what I have observed with people who smoke the stuff, I don't think it's advisable that you should be using the
    herb if you are suffering from anxiety problems. I have seen where marijuana has caused some people, who were suffering from psychological disorders, to seem to have displayed some sort erratic behaviour whenever they had smoked the herb.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe you will need to seek advice from a doctor or expert cause it is not safe to just take those medications if not prescribed anymore. Specially that you feel that those medications does not work on you anymore.
  12. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I would need more information but to me it could be self-medicating. I tend to think those who have a hard time quitting marijuana or cigarettes have a real deep problem. They are usually nervous people, insecure, shy or have social anxiety.

I have never been a normal person really, not even as a kid, now I understand I had some serious social anxiety and what not, I have never been to the doctor for those reasons. Even to this day I'm not really a normal person as I think different, I'm overly conscious and aware. Not nearly as bad as before, of course, now I'm chill and outgoing or can pretend to be.

What I discovered as a teenager was that cigarettes actually helped a lot, and later in life i found marijuana worked even better. So there are high chances you're just self medicating with arguably succes.
  13. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

My question is what happened first? Depression and anxiety or smoking? If you you felt depression and anxiety first and you found remedy in smoking then it can be considered to be used as a treatment. However, if you first started smoking and then felt the symptoms you might consider the weed to be the reason of it and also to stop for a while. Either case you should try to lessen the intake of it. Maybe to smoke every second day? Nothing is good if it is overused.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Your post was January 2015. You said you've been smoking for 10 years. You don't need any of this. Depression and anxiety is a withdrawal from mari j. Personally I would get it all out of your system. Detox it out. Anxiety can be tough. You just have to find a way to ride it out. The medications are just not going to work. Anxiety and depression are not a prescription pill deficiency. Say that to your self. You need to eat right and enough calories. Depression is low functioning adrenals. The mari j is not the answer. You can't live on it. Good food and lots of water, exercise.
  15. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I would consider it self-medicating. Unless you feel like you couldn't stop it if you wanted to, then I wouldn't really consider it an addiction. If you are using it for your depression and anxiety, that sounds like a reasonable reason to use marijuana.
  16. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

In my personal experience weed does not have any withdrawal symptoms. My dependence was more psychological than physical as I also suffered from depression. I do not advocate using weed when depressed as it quite often leads to further depression due to your lack of drive and energy when high, which leads to you not completing basic tasks you have set for yourself which in turn makes you more depressed.
  17. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

А mаrijuаnа аddiсt's lifе is соntrоllеd by mаrijuаnа. Hе оr shе lоsеs intеrеst in аll еlsе, thеir drеаms gо up in smоkе. Mаrijuаnа аddiсtiоn is а prоgrеssivе illnеss оftеn lеаding tо аddiсtiоn tо оthеr drugs, inсluding аlсоhоl. Thе livеs, thinking аnd dеsirеs оf mаrijuаnа аddiсts сеntеr аrоund mаrijuаnа--sсоring it, dеаling it аnd finding wаys tо stаy high.

Аddiсtiоn is а prоgrеssivе, lоng-tеrm соntinuing prоblеm. Whеn аn аddiсt triеs tо stоp using аnd fаils bесаusе lifе withоut thе drug is just tоо hаrd, thаt is аddiсtiоn. Оnсе аn аddiсt is соnvinсеd hе оr shе саnnоt livе withоut mаrijuаnа, thе dеpеndеnсy bесоmеs аn оbsеssiоn. Whеn thе аddiсt usеs еvеn thоugh hе оr shе prоmisеd thеmsеlvеs thеy wоuldn't, this is соmpulsiоn.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think you could feel that one has less side effects then the other. Some states do prescribe medical marijuana. I don't know if you can get a marijuana prescription for anxiety or not but it has less side effects then other drugs. It could be that you feel more relief and less side effects.
  19. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

There's a lot of contradictory information about marijuana. Some claim you cannot become addicted to it. I recently attended a seminar that stated that in order for something to be considered "addictive" it has to stimulate certain feel good chemicals in your brain, specifically dopamine. Research has indicated that marijuana does indeed affect dopamine levels, so if you find yourself needing it on a consistent basis, you may be addicted. I would try to stop smoking for a few days and see if you have any withdrawal symptoms. If you do, that would be a telling sign.
  20. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

Sounds more like self meditating to me. It depends though if yu can go without it or if you have to have it. If you have to have it and can't ever go without it then it could be an addiction.