An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

would this be consider an addiction to marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tabtabsss88, Jan 23, 2015.

1. DPowerz

DPowerz Member

I endured a similar predicament. It's addiction from my perspective, although I can only speak from my own experience. For my part, smoking weed was escapism. It was a means to hide from the harsh realities of my own depression. The day must come that you have to face your enemy. How long have you had Depression?
  2. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I wouldn't count as an addiction to marijuana as you would need the marijuana in order to help ease your pains and suffering from life. I would agree with @loneyfaith, it would be more like self meditating.
  3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Self medicating does not negate addiction. It actually leads directly into it.
  4. aang

aang Member

I have some anxiety problems and get depressed feelings for no reason sometimes. I've been a daily smoker for probably around 8 months now but I'm not sure if it really alleviates me of my anxiety or depression. I have been trying to smoke more strains high in CBD as research has shown that CBD over THC is more beneficial for helping with anxiety and depression. One problem I seem to have is not being able to find stores with high CBD strains as most people seem to be unaware of it and its abilities.
  5. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Seems like you're self medicating, that is what Ireally think, you gotta try to quit doing that and change your lifestyle, take things easy and work hard for oyurself, think about yourself and nobody else, good luck.
  6. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Depression is a disease wether you believe it or not. So you are basically fueling your depression by numbing it with nicotine from cigarrettes.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

That doesn't make any sense at all. You clearly don't understand how nicotine works. Nicotine is not a depressant.
  8. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This looks like it might be a case of one addictive behavior mingling with another. Throw in the fact that you already identify as having to deal with on-going depression, I'd say you'd be best taking your concerns to a qualified physician. This problem has the potential to get out of control if you're not careful. Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)
  9. GD0724

GD0724 Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's an addiction but my advice would be to go without using for a week or so, and try practicing the law of attraction. Whatever is causing your depression find a better way to think about it or completely let it go. Also if you are not prescribed the marijuana that you smoke it could be making your anxiety and depression worsen. Although marijuana is a medicine different strains have their specific healing to the human body. Stay strong and God bless.