An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you buy a pack of cigarettes for a teenager?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Lizel, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

No I would not. I smoke myself and have been asked by young people to buy them cigarettes and have refused. I believe that if someone has an addiction they should be able to afford it to continue it.
  2. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I always refuse, sometimes kids come to me and ask me to give them a cigarette or igniter, I never do, because I know it's something harmful for their health, so I don't care what they say about me, I just don't help them to do something bad to their selves ...
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Wow, those types of vending machines should be guarded by adults.
  4. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, because you don't want to contribute to the deterioration of their health.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Hmm, no, I would not. If I had kids, I wouldn't want some jerk buying them cigarettes, so, I won't do it to some other parent. But, the truth of the matter is, that kids will always find a way to get what they want, be it booze, drugs or smokes.
  6. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I would definitely not buy a pack of cigarettes for a teenager. First of all, it is very illegal and frowned upon to do such a thing. Secondly, not only are you putting yourself in trouble, but you are also causing that teenager to mess up his life / interfere with it. Teenagers should not be exposed to cigarettes since they are so young. They do not know any better. Once they mature and realize the cigarettes are dangerous for their health, they will be happy that no one bought it for them when they were younger.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

No, I would never buy a pack of cigarettes for a teenager and if I was a smoker I would never give them a cigarette. First off it is illegal and I don't want to contribute to their bad habit.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I will not do that and will even give him advices and tell him how bad is smoking.
    I do not think I will be on such situation here since even kids can buy cigarettes on some retail stores even it should not be allowed in here. Sad fact that there is no strict implementation of rules/laws in here.
  9. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

If they would you the money and say that you could keep the change would you still refuse?
  10. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

No, I wouldn't buy cigarettes to anyone. I am strongly against smoking and I believe smokers only harm themselves and the ones around them. I am yet to see one good side to smoking as opposed to countless negative effects caused by it. Yes, it might alleviate stress but so does music, going in the mountain and so on...
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I never have nor will in future buy any teenager cigarettes or any drug. Sure that won't stop them from obtaining the cigarettes [they could convince someone else, a "youngish" smoker possibly, to buy them the cigarettes] but at least my conscience would be clear — I didn't help him/her get something that's harmful to their health.
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I would, because I was in that position and I know what it's like. Even if I wouldn't, there would be another person who'd do it for the kid and he wouldn't stop smoking if I wouldn't buy him cigarettes I'd simply force him to look for someone else and what I would/he would gain?
  13. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I have been asked by an underage to sell them one cigarette. I asked how old they were, 16, 17 it didn't matter but I simply said, "No." That's contributing to delinquency of a minor, isn't it?
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Never. I was even asked by one of my nephews and refused to do this favor for them. I think adults that do these types of favors for children and young adults are highly irresponsible. They don't seem to grasp the seriousness of their actions and the damage they do to younger people. The laws may need to become even tighter to deal with those that purchase cigarettes for kids.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Not a chance that I would do that. I think starting off smoking young is dangerous for so many reasons. Well, let me correct that - smoking at any age is dangerous for so many reasons, but starting young really just exacerbates the whole process, doesn't it.

Where I live there are pretty strict fines and penalties if you were found to be doing this, and I'm glad that's the case because I think it does work as a large deterrent to people.
  16. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

I would definitely not buy a pack of cigarettes for a teenager. If a person buys a pack of cigarettes to a young teen who knows what could happen. It could be their first pack and sooner or later they will probably buy more and more. Their health is also going to change for the worse. I think that people who do buy teens cigarettes only think about themselves and the money they will get and not what it could do to the teen.
  17. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I have in the past (like when I was 19/20 and they were 16). I am 27 now and I definitely wouldn't. I wouldn't want to encourage the behavior, and I also wouldn't want to get in trouble.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I don't think that is a deliquency for a minor, to smoke a cigarette or drink a glass of wine. They are not forbidden by the law to do so, they are forbidden to buy, actually merchants are forbidden to sell them these things.
    MrsJones likes this.
  19. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think when I was younger and still an active smoker I would have done this, but now that I am older and a recovering nicotine addict, no I would not do this. I am still not a parent, I might never be. So I am not speaking on terms of think if this is my son/daughter out here asking someone to buy him/her a pack of cigarettes. I am thinking in terms that these children, young adults should not be smoking even when they turn 18 and are legally able to buy them.
  20. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

The 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor' was an afterthought when I had said no. I really just thought that they looked too young to be smoking in the first place which is why I asked how old they were. I didn't start smoking until I was twenty something when life started throwing me those curve balls.