An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you buy a pack of cigarettes for a teenager?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Lizel, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Now I wouldn't, that sounds stupid and if I'm not mistaken, it is illegal. So best to not buy those things for anyone.
  2. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

100% no. If they hit a dead end on finding them smokes, great. Better than hitting a dead end as a life long smoker and end up getting sick.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Sure, you would have a clean conscience, but either way like you said that teenager would ask somebody else, probably somebody younger, who wouldn't have a problem in buying that pack of cigarettes.
  4. ajzappola

ajzappola Member

I was one of those young kida asking adults to buy them cigarettes. Of course, my parents usually purchased them for me. I am not sure what the hell they were thinking. I have three kids, all non smokers fortunatley. Every now and then someone will ask me to buy them cigarrettes or booze. I tell them no way. I refuse to contribute. I am now a firm believer in taking responsibilty for my own habits and actions. If you can not buy it or aquire the thing for yourself you should not be doing the damn thing in the first place.
  5. Why would I encourage something as destructive as smoking? There is nothing good about smoking and all my efforts should be towards trying to make the teen quit. In the event that he is addicted, I would buy him cigarets but not in packets. Buying him cigaret packets somehow encourages the habit.

In fact, I believe kids should not even be allowed to see cigaret ads, but I know that's not very possible.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

No! Not only is it illegal, so that should restrain you from buying the respective cigarette pack for the teenager, but also if he has diseases thereafter because you bought him that cigarette pack, you would really feel bad and have huge remorse to deal with. I firmly believe no one should do this, even if the teenager offers you a reward. That's unacceptable to do and rather unethical!
  7. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

I've actually had teens ask me to buy them cigarettes from shops. I usually just laugh at them and tell them they're wasting their time. One time I was actually tempted to go into the shop and just buy random stuff and give it to them, but I felt bad to waste their money.

I wouldn't even feel bad if a kid gave some random dude money to go buy cigarettes for them and the person just walks off with their money. It's a bad habit that is starting way too young for a lot of people.
  8. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Definitely not.

Interestingly, while we all realize the damaging effects smoking creates, I often find that people (most often smokers)are blind to the damage it does. The main argument, is that a 'child' does not understand the damaging effects of smoking vs. an adult, yet we maintain a double standard on things such as driving (often learners license at 16) and sex (similarly, contraception at 14 upwards).

To say that teenagers are sufficiently grown to understand the consequences of the above, but not smoking is inconsistent in my opinion. Smoking is bad for everyone. Using the excuse that they 'are a child' and that once older, they can make a choice is a clear double standard.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The first impulse would be to say "no", but then I remember that "Every action and behavior has a good intention behind it". Who knows, maybe that kid really needs a cigarette because he's in agony, or maybe he needs the pack for anything else than smoking it. You can't know. These being said, I would buy a pack for them.
  10. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Absolutely not. Even if I didn't care about the health of our next generation, I could get into serious legal trouble. It's not worth it for me or for the kid.
  11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

It would be a no. I couldnot make someone an addict just to make a quick buck. Why would I add to the problems of being surrounded by addicts?
  12. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I admit I did do that once. I feel guilty about it but I tried to do some good at the same time. I was out at night for New Year's Eve and came across a young woman who was vomiting and passing out on a park bench alone. I went to the store to get her a bottle of water. On the way into the store a teenager (about 16-17, the legal age to buy cigarettes here is 18) asked me to buy them some cigarettes. I bought them using the teenager's money, but I also bought a bottle of water for the woman (who I then called a taxi for and also called her mother to let her know to expect her home shortly) using the rest of the money.

I felt bad for buying them but at the same time I felt like maybe the two equaled out. I know it doesn't work like that but I can't change that decision. I wouldn't do it again though.
  13. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Lol no, I would laugh at them and say good luck with the cancer and drive off!
  14. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

In my country that is considered an offense. One might be charged a fine of $500 or jail sentence of not bless than a year if found. I think this has greatly help minimize the rate at which grown ups commit this offense.