An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would You Consider Giving Marijuana To Someone Who Has Lost Their Appetite?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by serenity, Apr 11, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I remember watching an episode of Desperate Housewives were Lynette secretly gave her hubby Tom weed because he was sad, lethargic, and had no appetite. She gave him brownies with weed in it. So I would like to ask you what is your take on this. Would you do the same to help a friend or family out that has the same problem? After all, that's why weed is regulated in some parts of the US. It can be useful and beneficial as long as it's not abused.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's an option and can help with certain conditions and illnesses, I definitely wouldn't give somebody any sort of substance unless they where aware of what they were taking and agreed to it.

Marijuana can help and it's been medically proven to help with many illnesses, a loss of appetite being treated with marijuana though I have to admit I haven't heard of before.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I would never condone giving marijuana to anyone wothout their knowledge but if a friend was complaining that they had lost thier appetite and I actually had some marijuana then I would definitely suggest getting the bong out. It's a surefire way to get hungry!
  4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Yea, there's no way I would give anyone any drug without them being aware of it. I would definitely speak to them about how marijuana might be something to look into in relation to those symptoms but that they should consult with a doctor before going at it alone. I'm not so sure weed would be the solution to someone who is lethargic though. I've noticed it lead to the exact opposite affect in some people. :p
  5. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

No way. Appetite lost may be a symptom of some kind. It needs to be checked by a proffesional. And if he describes marijuana - for medical use - that's fine. But just druging somebody without their knowledge is simply a crime. It may be fine in a TV show but definetly not in the real world.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think it is a good idea to give someone marijuana to improve or boost appetite. There could lots of appetizers to suggest someone that would help him. Also if it is a health issue or condition, better to seek professional help.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think going the professional route might be the better option. I'd imagine that a loss of appetite is a side effect of sonthing else that might be going on?

Trying out different drugs and substances hoping for a cure is definitely the wrong way to go about it.

Marijuana does increase appetite but I think untill the main issue is fixed, marijuana might make it worse.

Of course it also depends on their view of the matter aswell, if they're willing to try it then I don't think it's up to anybody else to suggest if it's right or wrong.
  8. cheeto

cheeto Member

I would, but I'd tell them first! For me, whenever I smoked it's not that I was hungry, I just didn't have any sensation in my stomach. I didn't ever feel full, or hungry. So when it came down to snacking on something tasty, I could never stop because I didn't ever feel full. This might help your friend, as long as they know they have to eat. That way they will and won't feel nauseous at the thought of eating
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yes. My mother has to take 15 different medications due to a disabling car accident. Because of said medications she lost her appetite. She smokes to induce an urge to eat on top of her promethezine (Stomach oriented pills) to calm her stomach down. Even when she does, she barely eats. But without it, she'd be wasting away. So yes. In spades yes.
  10. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

A week ago, my friend, who is powerlifter, lost his appetite. And because he trains 5 times per week and weight lifting requires a lot of energy, meals are very immportant part of it. Everytime he tried to eat something, he felt sick and lost his appetite, which got him worried as he needed those proteins and carbon hydrates. He bought himself some weed, smoked it and voila, his appetite was back :D
  11. serenity

@zaerine, I agree with going to the doctor first to be sure that it isn't a serious health problem, but appetizers have no use at all in people that have no appetite.

@Shimus, Was the weed prescribed by your doctor or you just bought it from a random dealer?
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If appetizers will not work, then really better to go to the doctor first to know if there are medical or health issues.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I am no doctor, so I wouldn't just give someone weed unless they asked me for it. If they are lost and have no idea how to increase their appetite I would suggest they talk to a doctor and see what he says about marijuana as an option.
    xTinx likes this.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I agree. It's better to leave such matters to the experts lest you worsen the person's condition by recommending something that you're not sure will really benefit him. There are drugs and supplements specifically designed to increase a person's appetite. Marijuana need not be an option. It's usually used for pain relief.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I would offer it but I wouldn't sneak it in, and that's on top of making sure that he person is healthy both mentally and physically besides the lack of appetite. I think like everything else it's good for some and not for others so I wouldn't make any assumptions but I consider it a fairly harmless act.
  16. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

My dad had cancer and could not hold down food due to the nausea chemotherapy caused him. In his case the doctor prescribed him marijuana because it also helped with the pain. It was amazing to see him go from throwing up after every meal to putting on 30 pounds. Again, I'm not a doctor, but in my dad's case it did help with appetite as well as pain.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I would not put it in food and let them have it, as it could cause a reaction and do more damage like the person may have more hunger than usaul and eat more than needed for the body. The person should be told, so they can make a choice and decide for themselves if it is right or wrong and than go ahead when they have considered the risks as well. It may have some good uses like pain relief, but the cost can be high to purchase it and a person could get addicted to it when they only wanted to get thier appetite back.
  18. serenity

@vegito12, Marijuana isn't that expensive, when I was taking it, it cost only $1.05 per sachet. (that was many years ago.) The risk would be if the person would eventually get addicted to it. I never got addicted to it thankfully, although I'm sure that's not the case for most people.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No. I would at least consult a doctor first, and if he agrees that the patient needs marijuana treatment I would go for it, but otherwise I won't prescribe weed to someone by myself. It's a drug after all, medicinal or not.
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If I was a doctor and I thought that Marijuana would help that patient, then why not. I've never heard of a person on Marijuana that didn't want to eat. They always had a healthy appetite.