An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would You Consider Giving Marijuana To Someone Who Has Lost Their Appetite?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by serenity, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

No, I would not. Lack of appetite can have quite a few causes, so we should work on the causes and not try to treat the symptoms, that's a common mistake of our medicine. More, marijuana, really?
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Before this challenging was issue put in the forum, I had not paid attention about marijuana.

The benefits of medical cannabis has been favored by people across US. According to Dr. Frankel, prescription drugs actually have FAR greater effect in turning you into a "junkie". Legal drug addiction have claimed more lives. And people are more addicted to the over-the-counter and prescription painkillers and tranquilizers.

But don't take my word for it. Let's be partners in research and study. In my opinion, I want to cope with "sadness, lethargic episodes and increase of appetite" facing them differently. Not with prescription "painkillers and sleeping pills".

He adds from his studies in the 70s and 80s, "medical cannabis should be considered a benign substance overall" there are potential uses and abuses, according to Dr. Frankel

But I wouldn't take marijuana in any form.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

I agree. As much as I would like to help my friend, the best way to do that is to make sure a professional sees what's going on. At the same time, not all doctors are on the patient's side when it comes to certain things. Like for example, weed may be able to help but the doctor automatically says no to that treatment just because the government says so instead of doing his own research.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@EditorsRHumansToo!, The articles that you posted were very informative. I wasn't aware before that prescription drugs and painkillers were much more addictive than marijuana. I guess I would prefer to take weed rather than these more harmful and addictive pills and would ask a doctor to prescribe me weed instead.
  5. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I would never give someone any type of drug without them knowing it. As is stands, marijuana is a recreational drug being slightly recognized by some states to have some medical benefits. True though, it does increase a persons appetite but only when high.

It is not a long term cure for loss of appetite.