An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you consider this addiction or therapy?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tabtabsss88, Jul 28, 2015.

1. tabtabsss88

tabtabsss88 Member

So I am a heavy smoker, about 3-4 bowls a day. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, depression and anxiety and I do currently take medication prescribed to me by my psychiatrist.

When I don't smoke I panic. I don't like the feeling of not being stoned, and sometimes I think that's a bad thing. My therapist says I'm avoiding things I need to work through. But other times I feel the opposite. It helps me calm down and not panic so much. It soothes my headaches and any body pains. And I laugh more then I do sober.

I'm conflicted on whether I'm addicted or being helped in a way.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Marijuana does not create a physical dependency but it's likely that you do have a psychological addiction. It seems that getting high takes that sharp edge of everyday life. Whilst it might add benefit to your life in various ways, perhaps you do need to take the therapist's advice and work through whatever it is that is troubling you anyway.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Methinks you're just having a mental addiction to marijuana. Like missbishi said, it's very unlikely you be addicted to it physically since it does not do that. You panic only when you don't smoke it or when you smoke it as well? I didn't quite catch that.
  4. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Seconding (or thirding) the above posters. It sounds like your doctor is right, you're getting stoned rather than confronting the problems you have. And there are other medications that take care of body and head aches, marijuana doesn't have the market cornered on that. I would ask, do you now smoke instead of do things you once enjoyed? Have you put things like work or friends aside in order to keep smoking? if so, there's probably an addiction going on.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Marijuana will not take your problems away. Seems like it is like Ibuprofne where it relieves the pain somewhat so you still can function and do your daily activities. It takes the edge off so you can deal with the issues at hand. So yes, deal with the issues while you have the time and concentration level to address them.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Mental addiction, been there to man. It just gets worse and worse, it literally is just working as a screen so you don't notice it as it slowly gets worse. I'd advice finding help for it and slowly weaning yourself back before it completely consumes you.
  7. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Although marijuana is not a long term solution to your issues, it is a much better alternative to the medications which are often prescribed to fight the conditions which you have.
  8. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Hmm.. so you are wondering whether marijuana is a cure or an addiction. Are you solving the problem or creating bigger one? In my view, you are escaping the problem. That is not as bad as it may sound. I mean, sometimes in order to be able to deal with something, we need to get away from it.. And if for you that is done by smoking, so be it. But keep in mind it can't solve your problems... only make you stay away from them for a time and when you're back, they'll still be there. As long as you don't confuse those two things (escaping and solving), I think you are good.
  9. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

It sounds to me as though you do have a psychological dependence on the drug - because you feel as though you are not able to live optimally unless you have had some. This is worrying, and something that you do really need to address as soon as possible. Although you might not feel as though it is a problem to you at present, and you might think that you can control it, you really should think about getting help before it is too late. This way, you can ensure that you do not get addicted to too great an extent, and you should be able to kick it.