An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would You Ever Vote For Marijuana To Be Legalized In Your Location?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I personally would vote for marijuana to be legalized. However, I would want it to be restricted for medical use only. If marijuana has the many medical benefits it is claimed to have, those who have serious health conditions should have access to it. I don't think it would be abused any more than it already is because if people wanna use it for recreational purposes they are going to find it one way or another. Would you vote for marijuana to be legalized?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

As research has proved marijuana can be used to treat some ailments, I'd vote for the legalization of medical marijuana but I'm against the legalization of recreational marijuana because I know the harmful effects of it's use and the States shouldn't make it any easier for those who want to abuse it just so they can get high.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If there was a referendum to legalize marijuana, it would depend on how the question was put forward. I don't think that it should be completely legalized and should still be controlled. I am a big supporter of marijuana for medical use, just as long as it's use in the right manner.
    There has been a big witch hunt in relation to tobacco, if marijuana is consumed incorrectly it has the same negative side effects.
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Absolutely, both medicinally and medically as long as it's regulated. When has prohibition ever worked? I see no reason to keep cannabis as a scheduled drug. Cannabis is already the easiest illegal drug to get a hold of, so making it legal isn't going to make it any easier to find. It's just going to remove the risk of ruining your record over something so minuscule, as well as the risk of purchasing adulterated cannabis.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Marijuana is illegal in my country.However, it was free about 50 years ago. I would never vote for legalization of marijuana. It is a soft drug, however, if you use in heavy dose and for a long time it can be as harmful as other substances, cocaine for instance.
  6. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Why do you think cannabis can be as harmful as harder drugs like cocaine? That doesn't sound very accurate.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  7. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I would probably vote for the legalization of marijuana because I have no issue with people using it. I do not think of it as a drug in the same category as cocaine or meth. I figure people are still going to use it no matter whether it is legal or not. If it helps people who need it for medical reasons then I am all for it to be legal.
  8. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have not voted for it to be legal in California. It just passed before I even got a chance. I did advocate for it though after hearing how my friends in Boston were carrying weed.
  9. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

I absolutely would vote to legalize marijuana where I live. I don't have a problem with it. I don't do it in front of the kids. My beliefs is don't do it in front of them, wait till they go to bed but don't over do it to where you'll be so tired if something happens you will be too knocked out too take care of your responsibilities.
    I think it is a lot better than drinking. I know when I drink(which I don't like to but will if the opportunity knocks and I have no smoke) there are times I wake up feeling like crap not wanting to get up to tale care of my kids, or I am still drunk the next morning. I have never been like that after smoking. I wake up feeling refreshed and happy and ready to do what I got to for the day.
    I'll tell you another thing, I have never wanted to smoke and drive. I knew I would drive too slow be too cautious. With drinking it's like ya let's go. I don't do that. I am against driving ad being under the influence of anything.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I will not vote for it to be legalized in my country. If there were solid proofs already that it is safe to be used to treat some illnesses, I will vote "yes" only for that purpose and if doctors or those who are capable of proving its being safe to use are the ones who are petitioning that it should be legalized for medical purposes.
  11. Dee Hill

Dee Hill Member

I definitely would vote to legalize marijuana but I'm in a state that hasn't even legalized the lottery so I doubt it would ever happen. I would want it to legalized by the federal government and decriminalized for medical purposed because I hate to see someone with cancer or another illness that causes painful tumors or something else needing it for medical purposes and not able to get it just because of where they live. Their suffering is enough and I think if it's made legal we can do a better job of those who need it actually getting it for treatment on a national level.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

This has always been a tough one for me to answer. I get the whole idea about it being less harmful than alcohol and that it might even have some health benefits, and I think that legalizing it medically might also be a little different, but overall it just seems strange for me to say legalize it, just because it is a drug and people should avoid it. I am not sure, and I am curious to see where it goes.
  13. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I don't smoke the stuff.
    I don't encourage anyone else to, it's bad for you.
    Even if it was legal I would not be using it and would warn others against it.
    It's just plain bad news.

So you must think that I am against making it legal right?
    Nope! Would vote for it to be legal, even just for fun and not medically, in a moment.
    Pot being illegal isn't stopping a single person from using it. People do it anyways.
    Why not let legitimate companies and the government make the money from it instead of criminals and gangs.
  14. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Yes, h I would vote for the legalization of marijuana for both medicinal and recreational use. For decades, I have been around people who have used marijuana both ways and I have never encountered any problems with any of them which had resulted from of their involvement with the herb, In fact, the alcohol and cocaine users are the ones that provided bad experiences.
  15. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Marijuana to be legalized? I beg to differ. A crime does not become legal just because it is directed at self. For a start, marijuana has ruined many lives already. Legalizing it will only increase the people in its addiction bracket. Just like alcohol. And it will open the floodgates for other drugs to be legalized.
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

There are a lot of legal substances out there that are just as harmful, sometimes even more. So, yes, I'd vote for its legalization. I also think that it should be only used for medical purposes. If ever that it would be sold to people who would use it for recreation, I think that there should be a restricted amount which can be sold. Unlike with cigarettes and alcohol which we can buy as many as we want, I think that there should be a limit to the allowable amount of marijuana that we can buy.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have seem people use marijuana and hard drugs for years and at the end, both people were completely destroyed. Hard drugs harms fast, where as cannabis attacks are little slow.However, both of them are equally harmful. Once you are addicted, your brain and body begins to die.
  18. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I can see advantages to marijuana being decriminalized. More specifically, I see great harm in having it be criminal.

It makes zero sense to me. Once upon a time, the USA passed an amendment to the constitution to criminalize alcohol. That amendment led to such terrible problems (mainly the rise of a rich criminal class), that it was repealed only a few years by the passing of another amendment (those amendment are rare and tough to get ratified).

So a wise society would have learned a lesson, no?

Except we did not. Marijuana was made illegal by a stamp tax. The government just never printed any stamps.

Meanwhile, we doubled and tripled down on other drugs as well (drug war). Drugs being illegal does not lead to people not using. Never has, never will.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  19. EJR

EJR Member

Although I no longer use it I would vote for the legalization, which would be a conflict of interest for me because although it wouldn't prevent me from getting a job anymore, it is still a harm to my temple. Now eating it, I'm not sure. The Bible says do all things in moderation and so ironic my addiction made me comfortable with who I was and okay to stand up for myself but also slowly defiled me because I had became so hedonistic, selfish and lazy. It is not for everyone but lots of patients need it.
  20. Ones

Ones Member

I would like it legalised but not smoked publicly.This is because people still consume it even if it's against the law.