An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would You Ever Vote For Marijuana To Be Legalized In Your Location?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by ChloeDawn, Feb 24, 2016.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

For the benefit of those who really need it, then I would also vote for it to be legalized, but it will be controlled so that the substance won't get abused.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is something I agree with. I don't want it to be everywhere all the time, I think it should be restricted to private property in the company of adults.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

There's no way you aren't making this up for either post count or to troll. You aren't speaking literally when you say that cannabis kills the brain and body, are you? If you actually believe that, find me one source to back that claim up. It's silly to claim that cannabis is equally as harmful as harder drugs.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I would vote for it. It's not as bad as alcohol and it does have medicinal uses. I think regulating it under the same restrictions as alcohol would be reasonable. It still makes me wonder why alcohol was made legal during the prohibition but marijuana didn't become legal at the same time. Most states have made it legal, why not do it on a federal level?
  5. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

The irony is that even though cannabis is illegal where I live, the local authorities are so lazy/useless that it is easy for anyone to smoke weed, even at large parties and I've seen it happen at sports games, where the crowds easily snuck in some weed and smoked it while watching the game.

I would just vote and let it be, keeping it illegal may send one or two people to prison every few months, so its almost pointless not legalizing it. But I can see that being different in other parts of the world, where the police do their job and weed may be ruining lives.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No. People mustn't smoke marijuana for purposes other than medical use, and for this you can get a permit in which it is stated that you are allowed to use it due to a certain health condition. I have nothing against the recreational smoking of marijuana as long as you do it in the privacy of your own home, but I just imagine all the kids who would consume it to look "cool" and it makes me want to vomit.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The government would have to administer certain restriction if I was ever to vote for the legalization of marijuana. I'm particularly worried about young people, that would probably rush to buy marijuana in large quantities. There should definitely be an over 21 age restriction where marijuana is sold.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I really don't know how to answer this but based on the way I feel right now and here I probably won't vote for it's legalization. Who knows? I probably won't vote at all. I am still trying to understand all the intricacies of the drug but if in fact it can be used for medicinal purposes should there be any question of it's legality in such cases?
  9. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Definitely. In my opinion alcohol is much worse and it's already legal so. But it would have to be very well done, control wise and such.
  10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Would absolutely vote for it. I just can't see the logic in allowing alcohol and cigarettes, both of which have proven health risks and, in the case of the former, can lead to a significant amount of death and destruction, yet NOT allowing marijuana, which is generally harmless and even has some BENEFITS.
  11. Moll

Moll Member

I already have. It brings in money for the schools instead of going to the cartels. It's not like weed was nonexistent before it was legalized here. I never touched drugs when I was in high school and I knew how to get it and who to get it from by the middle of my freshman year.
  12. Exactly, Marijuana is a very easy substance to grow, and there are only two choices: either you give it to the black market, fuelling gangs and whatever other criminal organization decides to spring up to use it to its advantage, or you legalize and tax it and use the earnings it gives to the state (or the federal government) to treat addiction. Other nations where it's been legal for a while haven't been showing massive increases in its abuse, nor the use of marijuana as a gateway drug, unlike when it is illegal and the shady dealer tries to push other stuff on you to get you deeper in your hole.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Where i live it's already legal, and it has been for very long. Oddly enough you rarely see or hear stories about locals abusing this drug in particular, most of the people you see in Amsterdam's coffee shops are actually foreigners. Before moving there I thought differently, but now I see things are not as chaotic as I thought they would be.
  14. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

Yes I would. I would also vote yes on them to approve further research and trial testings on in too. There is a lot at stake here. While potentially aiding in a form of addiction, yet keeping in mind the little bit of research I do know of, legalizing would be tons more help than harm.
    Plus, our prison system would have more space for all of the real criminals like the murderers, and pedophiles. We have tons of men in prison for selling a plant that could help solve a lot the world illnesses. My vote is YES.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think it should be legal in all 50 states for medical use, and decriminalized for small amounts, with eventual legalization. It should be monitored like alcohol. The states need to do something for revenue. Most of the are broke and we need massive repairs to the infrastructure in most states.
  16. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

Yes, tax and regulate it. Not only will this be safer for users but it will also be a MAJOR economic boost. Fortunately, this seems to be the direction a lot of Western countries are headed towards.
  17. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

The one problem with legalisation is that will allow corporations to take over the industry. Does anyone want to get high on Monsanto products? I know I certainly wouldn't. Having your own organic seeds will be important if/when legalisation happens.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've been an advocate of marijuana legalization for a long time. It's already decriminalized where I live and the sky isn't falling. I don't see much changing if it were fully legalized. People are going to do it anyway and removing the drug dealers and questionable characters from the equation benefits everyone.