An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you go back in time and change it all?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tremmie, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used to do drugs and drink a lot in the past, that resulted in me doing and saying all sorts of stupid things. I made a lot mistakes... I got in trouble as well. Many times, yes, even with the police. I disappointed my parents so badly and even shame them, all because of my addictions.

I don't have any problems telling you all this, because I have made peace with my past. Yes, I don't regret a thing, because all those tihngs that happened made me the person I am now! I have gained a great mental strenght to face even the most difficult circumstances with ease, I've also gained a lot tolerance and understanding, plus other nice things.

So, no I'd never go back in time and stop myself from doing what I did. Things are what they are now for a reason, I know not everyone is so lucky, but I was and for that I can't help but to feel so thankful and blessed.

What about you?
    MrsJones and Joseph like this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

There have been times I wish I could take back the things I did - or rather, the things that happened to me. I never got in trouble with the law or anything, but there were definitely some things I learned the hard way. But that’s the thing that actually makes me say no, I wouldn’t go back in time and stop myself. In each experience, there were lessons I needed to learn. And in my experience, most people need to learn some lessons the hard way, so why beat myself up over that?
    MrsJones likes this.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

What happened in the past defines the person we are right now. Mistakes have been made, regrets have bothered me but when I think about the things that I did before and look at myself right now, I can say I am who I am now because of those things. I learned a lot from my past mistakes and success so if there was ever a chance to go back to the past, I won't change anything at all. :)
    MrsJones likes this.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I love your positivity. We should remember that whatever happens, happens for good. And we shouldn't regret it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    So yeah, I don't think I would go back to change what happened. Things happen the way they are meant to be, and I don't have the right to change anything.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If I could go back then I most certainly would change everything. I'd resist that first temptation and never in my life touch drugs. Unlike most people who learn a thing or two from the mistakes they made, the only thing I learned from my addiction is that I shouldn't have got myself into the morass in the first place. Everything the addiction has cost me: opportunities, friends and others I would still have. I don't regret that some "friends" are out of my life though.
    MrsJones and kgord like this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd go back and change parts of my life definitely. It's not that I regret anything that I've done, it's just that I could have made better decisions that would have helped me get to where I am now, but just a lot quicker.

Everybody will have made mistakes in their life at some point, that's how you learn at the end of the day.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

To be honest, I am glad that I never have to go back there again. I grew up with alcoholic parents, and it was hell. I got myself addicted to alcohol when I was 16. I started smoking when I was 13. I actually started smoking marijuana before I took up smoking cigarettes. All of my substance abuse was a reaction and escape from the things that I found unbearable to live with. So, all in all, I don't regret a single thing in my life. I did what I had to do to survive in those days.
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

The experiences we had in the past be it good or bad will be our source of strength and inspiration to move on our life to the present and future. The lessons we had learned from our past mistakes usually made us to be careful already to face the realities of life making us to be a stronger and better person. We cannot return back the time of the past but we should always look forward to the time that is to come with hope and faith in our heart in order to reach our goals in life.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

This is an interesting topic. I myself was not an addict or alcoholic. But my son was addicted to drugs for 7 years and I was on an emotional roller coaster for that entire time. Addiction is a family disease, and believe me: my entire family suffered because of my son's addiction.

If I could go back in time and eliminate addiction from my son's life, I think I probably would. That said, though, I believe that my son's addiction made me a better, stronger person. And it improved the relationships in our family, too. I would never go so far as to call my son's addiction "a blessing," but I will say that we all came out of it better people than we were. That old saying, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is very appropriate in this case. But, like I said...If I could go back and erase the addiction, I probably would. Thankfully, that's not a decision I have to worry about. ;)

Great thread!
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Everybody has made mistakes in the past. As long as you learn from your mistakes, they don't define who you are. I'm sure that anybody who would judge someone could get judged themselves, if anybody knew every thing about them. It's great when your past works for you and not against you. As long as we don't do the wrong we've done in the past now, the past is dead.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

No. God made us walk a particular path, it may seem odd or not fair but when you reach the end of the journey then you will know why.
    He wanted us to see certain things. It's like the addict that becomes a helper, they can only help people by going through the hell fire themselves.
    MrsJones likes this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, everyone of us has made mistakes and ruined things in the past. I think it is part of life and growing up. If we haven't committed those things, we still wouldn't know what is right from wrong. Just always remember that there is always a reason for everything that is happening to us.
    MrsJones likes this.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think I would go back in the past either. As bad as some of the points in the journey were, it's true what they say -- the experiences you have in life really do shape the person you are.

I feel like I can empathize with people so much better as a result of going through it all. I feel like I know my strengths, and I also know my weaknesses - and that might sound like a bad thing but honestly to me that knowledge is powerful! I feel so much more capable and competent and it's almost like I had to hit rock bottom to see how great life really is, if that makes sense.
    MrsJones likes this.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

They indeed have, but not many people like to admit it. I honestly rarely talk about this kind of things with anyone else, because I know my mistakes I did in the past could be used against me if the wrong person finds out. I think it's good to leave the past in the past, and never ever share it with someone you don't really trust. I made the mistake of opening up with my future mother in law about an incident that took place when I was younger. Well, turns out she got a very wrong idea of me thanks to that. Then I made a mistake and hell broke lose.
  15. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

If I could I would go back and change some things and completely do them over. Then I wonder would I be the person I am today, some things I learned because I went through adversities. So now I try to live with it and move on.
    MrsJones likes this.
  16. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

I often daydream about being able to go back and do things differently, like not taking all the drugs, not smoking all the weed, not having sex with so many people, especially since none of it was done for fun, I didn't even enjoy it. I wonder if people actually are really happy doing these things, or is it all just a facade. I have defiantly learned my lesson when it comes to taking drugs and stuff, now I have a mental disorder from smoking to much weed when I was younger, chronic anxiety, that causes all sorts of bodily issues. I am lucky that I actually have the golden ticket to reverse this (hopefully). I hope one day I can inspire young people to no take drugs....
    MrsJones likes this.
  17. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am not an addiction but my husband is. He began drinking and using drugs at a very young age. I met him when he was clean. If I knew then what I know now I would have definitely made different choices.
    MrsJones likes this.
  18. pwarbi

The problem is, even if we could go back and change things, there's guarantee that things would have worked out any better. They'd have no doubt have been different, but not necessarily better.
    MrsJones likes this.
  19. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I truly believe that our past happened for a reason. Yes, we might have made mistakes that we didn't want to make. But it happened simply because it will lead us to where we are right now. Not everyone has a perfect life, all of us has had our shares of shameful and embarrassing experiences. But for me, I wouldn't change a thing. Those experiences, even the bad ones, are what brought me here. I am what I am now because of those mistakes and wrongdoings. I am stronger because I committed them. I am a better person because of them.
    MrsJones likes this.
  20. pwarbi

Dwelling on the past can be dangerous and you'll end up wasting your future while thinking too much about what's already happened.

We all make mistakes in life, it's important to make sure we don't let them ruin our futures though and we move on and learn from them.
    MrsJones likes this.