An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you go back in time and change it all?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tremmie, Jun 17, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well the mistakes that we have committed definitely made us into who we are today, so I think I also won't go back to yesterday to correct all my mistakes. I don't want to forget the lessons that I have learned during those times.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Well done on kicking your addiction and making peace with your past. It's true that we should live with no regrets and enjoy our current life, without dwelling on the future. But I bet most of us would love to go back in time and fix our mistakes. If I went back in time, I would have a lot more money, a lot more friends and a better education, resulting in a better job. I made so many mistakes that I regret, but all those mistakes were stepping stones on a journey to a better future, without me knowing. Today, I'm not a millionaire, I don't have six thousand friends, but I do have a life that I enjoy because I learned from my mistakes and moved on and I didn't dwell in the past.
    MrsJones likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Being happy in your life at this moment in time is something that a lot of people don't take seriously. It's like we're always striving for better and while that's not a bad thing in itself, we don't look back and appreciate just how far we've come as much as we should do.
    MrsJones likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, there are definitely things I would change about my past. All I can say about that is Karma is a bitch. However, we can try to make better decisions and forgive ourselves from what we have done. Like the old saying goes "To err is human, to forgive divine." Those of you who think you regret nothing of your past..I envy you.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

This is indeed a great thread for all to who have read it and to become inspired by myself included. I never had a substance abuse problem but there were things in my past that have made me the person I am today. Would I want to go back and change anything, no. If I could have I never would have been steered to this forum to share my story with hopes that my experiences and comments would help someone else.

Being with my husband through his journey and watching him grow without that dependency is what I would have missed by changing the past. We will never look back and laugh at those times of hardships but we are thankful that we have survived the worst together.
  6. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I used to be a secularist. I used to view the bible and Christianity as any other academic subject or endeavour like evolution which didn't directly apply to my life. This continued until I researched intensively and extensively about devil worship, the spiritual realm, Hades and hellfire. I am not a coward but if I was to go back in time, I would be born again at the first available opportunity.
  7. pwarbi

There's always going to be mistakes made and things that we regret, we're all only human after all. The trick is learning and moving forward, that'd the main thing we have to do, as none of us can turn back time unfortunately.
  8. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I am sure that it is a tough question for everyone to answer, and I can think of the upsides to both, and the downsides as well. I think that my whole experience really helped me gain some insight, but then again I wonder what life would be like if none of it ever happened. It is interesting to think about.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm glad that most of the people here feel that their mistakes are not worth forgetting and what they did in the past serves to encourage them to be better versions of themselves. If there's one thing that eats up a person, it's regret. You can move forward in life when you accept everything about and that's happened to you. I for one wouldn't change a thing. Things do happen for a reason and let's just be glad that despite our mistakes, we always have the chance to do better.
    akiram13 likes this.
  10. pwarbi

What we've done in the past can't be changed, no matter how much we wish it could, and while we should maybe try and make up for the things we've done, we can't let our lives revolve around that.

We can regret things, but if we don't at least try and move on, then we'll always be fighting our past and the future will slip away before we know it.
  11. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I cant say that I regret my past but I can say I hate that person I was and have come to love who I am today. Those trials have made me into a stronger person with a completely different outlook on life. Being able to have compassion and understanding for others as well. Those bad things in the past let you savor in the good things in life now. I see that people who struggle the most are also the people are the kindest most open hearted people just needing that something to help them out. So I would never change my past especially that it has given me the greatest love in my life today which is my children. :)
  12. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

If I could go back and change it all or start over, I would every time. The damage I have done to my body through my own substance abuse will probably leave me crippled within a decade, and I hate to think that I have done that to myself. I do not regret drinking heavily or associating myself with hard drugs constantly, but I do regret the ridiculous amount of money I have spent doing so. There were even times I stole from siblings to satisfy my need for a quick blunt. So yes, every single time.
  13. pwarbi

Again though, it doesn't matter how much you'd change if you went back, the fact of the matter is that you can't, so you need to find a way of being at peace at least with what you've done, know you've learned from those mistakes and be determined not to go back there.

We can only move forward in life, we don't have the option to rewind, however much we want it.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

If I could go back on time I don't think that I would really change something, maybe I would change my reactions towards some situations, but it would be just a few things. As a lot of people mentioned I won't be able to really experience and learn about all those things as I did, and at the end of the day that's how you move on in life, I guess.
  15. pwarbi

The experiences we have had had in the past, certainly make us who we are today and good or bad, we're still here to tell the story.

Who knows where or what we'd be if it wasn't for what we've been through. All we can hope is that it's made us better people, no matter what it was like at the time.