An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you have a problem, if a sober living home opened up in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by pineywood, May 5, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm totally with you, @harold. Unfortunately, I think some uneducated people hear "sober living home" and translate it in their head as "drug house." Which is absolutely not the case. We have to keep educating people. Just another stigma to chip away at.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I would feel happy yo see people finally seeking help and the state building such units. I wouldn't feel weird or afraid, as I'm used to it. I live near a psychiatric hospital (it's on a little hill and my block is at the base of it) and I have never had any dangerous encounters with the patients. Some of them manage to escape though, one of them ended up under my balcony asking me if I can bring him a cup of coffee.
  3. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Well, it sure isn't good for property values. I would expect most of the people on here to take the side of the addicts, but try seeing it from the homeowners point of view. I, personally, have known enough addicts to understand what it can do to a person's morals. Sure, group homes can be good for them, but the location should be very selective. Obviously, they need jobs, so it can't be too far away from a source for those, but personally, I would be on guard if I knew there was a house full of recovering addicts living near by. When I worked in a town with many sober homes, the town developed a terrible drug problem from the people who relapsed and stayed around in non-sober homes. It can act as a kind of magnet.
    I know these people need as much help as they can get, but in some places they are treated too well and let off the hook too easily even after putting innocent lives in danger. Maybe the sober-home isn't the issue, but how drug issues are dealt with in the area.
  4. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I would rather have a Sober living home opened in my area where people are able to get help, then to have the park that is in my neighborhood that is always visited by people who sit around and get drunk. We can't even take the kids to the park because of this. I think there should be more sober living homes available so that the ones that need help can get help.
    pineywood and deanokat like this.
  5. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I would not have a problem with a sober living home opening in my neighborhood. Having done service in such places, I know those are the folks who really need our support and encouragement, of course in a healthy, non-codependent, non-enabling way. In fact, it probably helps them to get and stay sober when we show support and discourages relapses, so they can reach their goals more quickly, if we're somewhat involved, just by showing our approval. If we ignore them or discourage them, it tells them they're doing something wrong when they're just trying to recover, trying to be better for themselves and for us too. If they do the work suggested, they're probably great neighbors, because you know they're not having loud drinking parties or drunk driving accidents, right?! ;)
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

I will not feel bad since there are addicts in my area who will need to stay there. I know some people will not like it because they think that they will be disturbed by addicts living there. We all have friends or family members who may need such services.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, as long as the facility is well-maintained, and organized, I wouldn't have any problems with it. Just like what you have said, in these situations, we should have to be more understanding.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think this would be awesome in my city. I just read an article in my local newspaper that there were 66 heroin overdoses that fire rescue responders have been called out to this month alone. That is a crazy alarming number considering I live in an area that is low populated. There is no help for these people unless they want to drive an hour to the nearest rehab facility. I think each community needs to have these types of facilities so that we as a nation can get a handle on this outbreak of drug use.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. ashwee5991

ashwee5991 Member

No, I would have absolutely no problem. We should unite as a community to help one another. I think there are many things that a strong community can help combat. I think there is a lot of stigma that surrounds addicts; people forget they are human. I think education is the key to diminish the fears people have over a place like this. Sober living homes are important places for people trying to make huge changes in their lives.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I agree with ashwee5991. The community does need to support addicts just as we do the homeless. Sometimes these people do not know where to turn for help, or have anyone to go to for that help. Making these homes or facilities available in the community for them to go to will help them find their way again.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you want to give up addiction the best way to do this is stop hanging with addicted people. If you are with sober people, you will forget the desire to go back to addiction. While with addicted people you may be encouraged to go back to addiction.
  12. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There's actually more than one in the vicinity of where I live, but I live in the UK and I'm not sure that the dynamic here with recovery centers is necessarily the same as it might be in the US and elsewhere. That said, I know some people who had addicts moved into private property within their apartment block, and things got really messy. It depends, I suppose.....
  13. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Absolutely not..I have been in a shelter before twice actually and I would never ever want to go back. I am a realist and I know that it takes a bunch of support and supervision to get off of drugs. I would never be that shallow as to say people don't have the right to get help..and become better productive citizens in the world we live in. How dare anybody act like that....it could be someone you love.
  14. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

I don't think most people want any type of recovery or half way house in their neighbourhood, be it for rehab, domestic violence victims, wards of the state, pedophiles etc. Mostly this is because they think it will attract 'undesirable' people to the area and increase crime, which I understand, no one wants a drug addict who needs to fund their habit living down the street, but these people need help, and where are they supposed to get it?

If the occupants get the help they need, perhaps they will recover and no longer be a drain on society. This then makes the house a success for the greater neighbourhood as there is one less user on the street trying to fund themselves. It is a very complex issue that governments around the world are dealing with.
  15. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I think it might really depend on the type of sober house one is expecting. I spent two and a half years at a sober house in Philadelphia. There were only five of us in an urban row home. We had neighbors to the left and right of us who absolutely loved us as a group and as individuals.

But that house may have been like the one you want to discuss. We were not run as a business. The five of us got along together very well (maybe we struck lightning in a bottle?)

So based on my own personal experience, any neighborhood should be happy with the situation.
  16. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

The crux of the matter is how you wish to define a sober living house.

Are the people living there truly living a sober life? If so, those people are going to love helping others!

IF that is known to be the case, the neighbors should be wanting as many sober living folks as can fit in the building.
  17. Dilof

Dilof Member

I wouldn't mind as I know (for the most part) that the people who reside in those houses really need help and generally want help. I'm of the opinion that people shouldn't really judge the general population of these type of houses and say that "criminal activity" will increase. That's a pretty misguided statement imo.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I definitely understand the concern, but recovering addicts to to live somewhere. We shouldn't treat them like diseased animals.
    deanokat likes this.
  19. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Thinking about this a little more, I suppose it's better that people are cared for in a supervised environment like this than being out on the street. Nobody wins with the latter; hopefully everybody wins with the former.....
  20. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience. These are the type of prosperity stories that avail take away the trepidation and reluctance of having a sober living home in your residential community. It is refreshing to auricularly discern you indite about the positive results not only in your neighborhood, but in the community holistically.