An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you let your child taste alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Aescopri, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Pswales

Pswales Member

I was allowed to taste beer when I was young, and I honestly really disliked the taste. But I don't think it matters if someone is allowed to taste alcohol or not whether they become alcoholics later on in life, I think it depends on life influences and who they end up growing up with and being around later in life. Personally, my grandmother wouldn't of minded if I drank in early teen years, but I saw how it affected other peers, and from personal experience with alcoholic family members, I knew that wasn't something I needed to get into. I would my children (if I had any) to sip beer or wine, hoping to deter them from it, but I would also educate on the risks as well.
  2. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I would as long as it's not some good tasting, fruity drink. My dad let me try beer when I was little - I spit it out and ran to wash my mouth out! Even though I ended up developing an issue with alchohol later on (for complicated reasons), I can't stand the taste of beer to this day.
  3. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

My children haven't asked for a sip yet, but when they do, I'll let them try. I was allowed to have a sip of alcohol at a young age and as an adult I'm lucky to have a drink a couple of times a year. I had friends who's parents who were more strict and they're getting plastered every weekend. Before and after they were legally able to at 21. A small sip when ask for by a child puts them off drinking until they are old enough to be taught how to drink responsible.
  4. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

So, one of the reasons you quit drinking was to set a good role for your children? That's awesome! Another thing that might argue against your claim is that if you let your child taste some alcohol, they (as most children do) will dislike the bitter flavour and will be a big part in them not becoming an alcoholic in the future.
    Both are great ways of subtly telling your child not to drink, though! :)
  5. vincelucker

vincelucker Member

I wouldn't allow my child to even sip an alcoholic drink. I believe introducing them to alcohol at a very young age can turn in alcoholics later on in life. This would in turn ruin their future.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Aescopri... The *only* reason my wife and I quit drinking was to set an example for our kids. Our oldest son was addicted to heroin at the time. We just wanted him and his little brother to see that life could be lived without mind altering substances of any kind. Almost 7 years later, quitting drinking is one of the best things I've ever done in my life. Everything's so much easier when you're sober. :)
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I probably wouldn't. My grandparents use to let me drink a beer with them when I was very little. I don't thing that's what got me addicted to alcohol but as far as letting my kids drink it, I wouldn't. It's against the law in the US anyways so they shouldn't drinking it.
  8. Crowl

Crowl Member

"Being a rebel" mentality should be disposed of, as it is dangerous. OP describes it very well. And I think she's doing something mildly good. Lower the excitement, and let them think that it isn't a big deal.
  9. xpictoc

xpictoc Member

I don't think I would. Although I find myself agreeing with Crowl. If you make it less of a big deal, it may affect their subconsciousness and lower the expectations regarding alcohol consumption. Although in my country most children just drink "champagne for kids" from a bottle similar to a real champagne bottle. I think it's relatively harmless as it lets them party along with us and makes them feel grown up, without the alcohol.
  10. Bernie1

Bernie1 Member

Yes I would. I believe that if a child's biggest fear is disappointing their parents instead of getting grounded then parents have done a good job. I would let my children taste alcohol because then they won't have the desire to try it out on their own. It's safer for them if they drink in front of me instead of behind by back because that way I can keep them safe.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I would not do that. My mother did not let me sip even a bit of beer and she does not drink also. I guess that affected my thinking that I have not even tried alcohol until after college.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yeah, I would. I have been raised this way, consciously being allowed to have some wine coolers, then smirnoff ice and a bit of wine. My stepfather called it "Teaching me to appreciate the taste of it". I have gotten drunk and drank too much in different occasions of my life, but I don't think it has to do with this. I mean, I'm from Quebec. Our legal drinking age is 18. We get 18 years old from Ontario (limit there 19) who just come and get wasted here. Not pretty. I agree that the "forbidden" and "exciting" thing makes people abuse it more when they "have a chance".

Letting kids taste alcohol is not the same as letting them get drunk or teaching them to be drunkards.
  13. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

No, I never let my oldest son try alcohol. I am sure my husband would let our children try alcohol because he doesn't drink at all. I will wait until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You know what I am kind of mixed on that subject. I would say it is better to educate them about it. I was allowed to drink at a very young age. Seven or eight years old. Fourteen I remember getting plastered at a family christmas party. I had about one year of binge drinking around 19 years old. Maybe once or twice at sixteen. I think it is ok to let them drink, but I think making them aware of certain things first.
    The chemicals, the addiction, and the dangers. I think homemade is much better and healthier. The commercial junk has carcinogens that cause cancer. It ruins your liver and so forth. It does't make sense for anyone to drink this poison. I didn't know. My family did not educate us on anything. The had no idea about the chemicals. I think at any age to just speak to them and start young. My first alcoholic beverage at 7 years was a homemade red wine. I remember that, but did not have it again. Now I prefer things like this. So I guess I am agreeing and saying that I believe it is ok to let them drink. Something that is clean and healthy. Homemade liquors are easy to make.
  15. MerMer21

MerMer21 Member

It really depends. How old is your friend's son? The first time I tried alcohol, I was 14, my dad actually let me take one sip of his brandy and coke because I kept asking. It was disgusting but i pretended to like it. Most alcoholic drinks do not taste good to children so if you're giving them something that tastes decent, you are giving them a reason to love it. Especially because all kids want to do is be like adults. I never became an alcoholic. In fact, the first time I got drunk was when I was 21.lol

On another note, my sister's father told us that his dad would always ask him to go to the fridge and bring him a can of beer. Eventually he started to open them for his dad and would sneak a sip before bringing it to him. I'm sure his dad knew what he was doing. No one can be that naive, I hope. Anyway, I can't say for sure that was the cause but he is now a very heavy drinker. He will drink a tall can on the way out the door like it's nothing. It's a shame. You never know how a child will respond to alcoholic beverages. So be careful.

My main question is, what is the reason for letting him taste the wine? What result is she attempting to get from it? I mean, if I let my kid taste alcohol it would have to be for a darn good reason and I would definitely explain the effects beer can have on a person.
  16. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I don't have any kids yet, but in the future I won't let them taste alcohol.
    It's like telling them that it's okay to drink alcohol, and letting them do it, giving them an acquiescence.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Since they're going to taste it anyway sooner or later I don't think it would be a problem letting your child have a sip of a drink. They need to understand from a young age that drinking is a bad habit and they shouldn't be involved in it so by preventing them the liberty it could only lead to bad things.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I never allowed my children too but it still didn't stop them from drinking. They still drank when they were with their friends. So it doesn't matter if you allow them to or not. If they want to drink they are going to find ways of doing it. Alcohol is always readily available. If you don't there are always other parents who are willing to.