An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you regard alcohol as a "hard drug"?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amethyst, Jul 3, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

WOW, a lot of wrong information here.
    @FuZyOn Alcohol is actually on par with tobacco for it's addictive properties. Well nicotine it's seen to be more addictive, but alcohol withdrawal is a lot worst then nicotine withdrawal.
    Also studies show that marijuana isn't really addictive, it's less addictive then things like food, shopping and video games.
    @Rainman Actually alcohol can be injected! Alcohol can be consumed in a variety of ways not just ingestion. It can also be taken via the vagina or the anus. Most people just drink it, but that doesn't mean it can be abused in other ways.
    @henry I strongly believe that it's a myth that small amounts of alcohol are good for you. If you actually go and read the studies, it's not the actual alcohol that's good for you it's the other things in the beverage. That's why they say a glass of beer or a glass of red wine is good, you never see a shot of high proof grain alcohol being good for you.
    @rightct says who? There are actually many people who carry on normal lives while occasionally using "other drugs." History is literally full of them. There are also people who have completely ruined their lives over one night out or one stupid decision made while drunk.

All in all I think alcohol is just a "hard" of a drug as the other ones.
    But all in all, recreational chemicals are pretty much all bad for you.
    Just steer clear.
    Rainman and missbishi like this.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Alcohol can be controlled by the user much better then a hard drug like heroin. The is no safe amount of heroin one hit could be deadly with alcohol one beer will probably not kill the average person. Alcohol is legal this puts it in a class all it's on. People see it as safe, but that is the biggest lie of them all.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think alcohol could fall into that category. The only thing about alcohol is if someone only drinks in moderation it won't have such a harsh effect. Alcohol is really something that can be a hard drug or something occasionally used. But when a person is abusing alcohol it becomes just as dangerous as any drug.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It really depends on how much a person consumes alcohol. Some people would find drinking alcohol as recreational and just a form of stress-reliever, but other people would abuse it, thus, it can totally be a very dangerous drug.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It certainly can be injected! A guy I knew back in the day would sometimes jack up an airplane sized bottle of whisky or vodka to ease the DTs. He died of cirrhosis a couple of years ago. Poor guy, I hope he's at peace now.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  6. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I agree, I think it depends on how much is consumed and for how long. It certainly takes on a toll on a person overtime. It takes longer then some of the other drugs you mentioned but it does do a lot of damage either way.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Wow really? I only know from reading about it, never actually witnessed it in real life.
    I used to run with a pretty rough crowd, but never saw IV booze!
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I think the addiction to alcohol isn't as strong and as bad as the addiction to drugs like cocaine and heroin... I mean, the withdrawal symptoms those poor souls go though is terrible to watch! Alcohol is nothing like that, and yes, I am a former alcoholic... who also had alcoholic parents and nope, their struggle was nothing compared to people addicted to narcotics.
  9. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

It can be put in the same category when you view it in terms of the effect that it can have on someone psyche. I have seen alcoholics that act in the same manner as those individuals who are on cocaine, heroin etc. There is much to do with how much and over how long of a period. There is a friend who I saw recently after loosing touch and I was nearly unable to recognize him and it was all due to alcohol. Alcohol can be as dangerous as all the others.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I consider hard liquor to be stronger and if you can get addicted to it than it is a hard drug. But, drugs like marijuana and alcohol are lesser of the severe drugs that can cause a lot of bodily damage quickly.
  11. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

There's the old consideration that the distinction between "soft" and "hard" drugs is ultimately pointless, since soft drugs serve as a gateway to harder drugs and eventually cause just as much bondage anyway. They simply do it over time, so more perniciously.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I would personally consider alcohol to be a hard drug, yes. Ironically, it's also a legal high despite the fact that the UK government have just brought in legislation to ban legal highs. I wonder how that's going to work? Alcohol is also extremely dangerous - you can go into a shop and buy enough alcohol to kill yourself without being questioned (except maybe for ID). It also causes more hospitalizations each year than most other substances.
  13. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Even though it's not a narcotic, I would. It is highly addictive to many people, causes damage to your body, and has caused a great number of deaths (on top of all the innocent people killed in drunk driving accidents). For me that makes it a hard drug and even more dangerous than what we think of as typical drugs. There is this "war on drugs" going on where the police mostly bust people using weed...they need to put even more emphasis on stopping drinking.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

While alcohol may not be regarded as a hard drug officially, it's still a dangerous substance. I've noticed that alcoholics will often live longer than those who abuse hard substances. Many who will often hit 60 or even 70 years of age but nevertheless suffer the consequences of alcohol abuse on their health. I believe people should be just as vigilant fighting against alcoholism as they do against hard drugs.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, I don't regard it as a hard drug, and it is NOT like that. Hard drugs cannot be consumed without producing addiction, and there is no such thing as "recreational/responsible cocaine use". Alcohol, on the other hand, can be consumed moderately and be harmless, if the drinker desires it to be so. It's even used in religious practices, so it can be regarded as not being a drug at all, in some cases. You just can't name it a "hard drug".
  16. aztec99

aztec99 Member

I understand your reasoning, but because of the devastating effects of alcohol to some people, those who become alcoholics, I would say that in that context it is a hard drug, even though many drink alcohol without any issues. I think to classify a drug like alcohol as either hard or "soft" is misleading. With this particular drug it wholly depends on the physical state of the user and whether or not they are prone to alcoholism.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I agree with you, it depends on the case. I know some people that drink a couple of beers weekly and don't have problems with alcohol while there are other people getting wasted everyday.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Heavy drinking can certainly put you into a very dangerous state, and make you as much of a hazard to yourself and others as if you were on hard drugs, but I don't consider it the same, since it can be enjoyed recreationally in much safer amounts, unlike harder drugs which will impact you much harder and more quickly.

It's kind of hard to only do a "small" amount of Acid for example. One hit of it will send you off into crazy town for several hours straight. Cocaine is kind of like "why bother?" if you only do a small bump of it then don't touch it the rest of the day. You'll get a weak high, then spend the next several hours annoyed and irate wanting more. Same goes for Meth and to some degree Ecstasy. Though I think MDMA (ecstasy) has far more potential to help people legitimately in small doses.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as a hard drug in terms of the dictionary/medical definition. But I certainly would call it a hard drug to come clean from! It's accessible so, so easily - you can walk into your supermarket and buy it! And the fact of the matter is we all need food, so we all go grocery shopping - and that temptation can be staring us in the face each time we're out buying our milk and bread! So I guess it depends on what your definition of hard is!
  20. Wulphzlayre

Wulphzlayre Member

Drug harmfulness is the standard by which drugs are dubbed as "hard" or "soft". It is a measure of the potential damage a psychoactive substance can cause to the user. It is generally accepted that the more addictive and the higher potential a drug has to harm the user, the "harder" a drug it is. In accordance with this distinction, alcohol would seemingly be a "hard" drug as it has proven to cause harm and devastation due to it's addictive qualities and potential for harm.