An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you regard alcohol as a "hard drug"?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amethyst, Jul 3, 2015.

1. I'd definitely consider alcohol a hard drug. The effects of alcohol can do just as much damage as any other "drug" out there and addiction can just as easily happen. Personally I'd be careful about anything relating to it.
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I truly don't believe that alcohol needs to be put on the same pedestal as other hard drugs, such as cocaine, heroine, xanax etc. Not only is it unfair to people who consume alcohol moderately, but it's also quite oblivious since it takes a lot of quantity to actually classify it as something dangerous. Drank moderately, it's also proven quite of a good medicine.
  3. Wulphzlayre

Wulphzlayre Member

The label of a drug as "hard" or "soft" isn't about being fair or unfair, it's about information. It informs the user that the drug they are about to partake of is potentially addictive and a health hazard. Knowledge is power, it enables you to make informed choices and avoid calamity. Don't be offended, be smart. Live long. Prosper.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Alcohol is not as addictive as the other drugs mentioned. The fact that it's widely available and socially accepted means that it's consumed in a completely different way. The great majority of people don't really develop a problem with alcohol and can take it or leave it.
  5. Wulphzlayre

Wulphzlayre Member

6. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well the definition of a hard drug is: "drugs that lead to physical addiction. Many countries do not allow people to make, sell or use some of them, other than for medical purposes. Examples of such drugs are heroin, methamphetamine (meth), cocaine, alcohol and nicotine.", and therefore alcohol is a hard drug because it leads to addiction.
  7. Wulphzlayre

Wulphzlayre Member

In this paradigm of thought, all substances that lead to addiction could be labelled as "hard" drugs. It is generally accepted that the more addictive and the higher potential a drug has to harm the user, the "harder" a drug it is. Coffee has caffeine in it, which is highly addictive, however there is a low potential that the drug will harm the user, thus it is dubbed "soft". When considering which drugs to label as what, one has to remember that there are two main criterion in drug harmfulness: potential harm to the user AND the potential for addiction.
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think it can definitely be put in the same category. Alcohol has horrible quick effects, but it also kills people slowly inside physically. They're all horrible and should be considered in the same category.
  9. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Alcohol doesn't hit as hard and, for some people, is not as addictive (compared to other drugs). I don't think it's a soft drug either, though, since it CAN be very addictive. I don't think it's either soft nor hard.
  10. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I would consider it to be a hard drug. Just because it is available for sale on every corner you turn down anymore doesn't mean that it isn't a hard drug. It still causes an addiction if you abuse it just like any other hard drug. And the fact that it is available legally if you are of age, makes this something that anyone can get a hold of . I feel that alcohol is a drug that allows people to socially use and possibly use cigarettes as well, which is another drug. Alcohol still causes damages to organs in your bodies like most drugs out on the street do.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd suggest that anybody that doesn't think it's a hard drug, or think it's not all that addictive, go and spend a weekend helping out in a rehab centre, or on a ward dealing with kidney and liver disease, then come back and comment again.

I've been an alcoholic in the past, and now I volunteer in homeless shelters and various rehab centres and alcohol is a major problem that needs dealing with more than what it is being dealt with at the moment.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Very well put, I'm glad you didn't forget to mention nicotine. Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it won't have negative effects.
  13. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

Definitely a hard drug. You can get addicted, and if you do, your whole life can lay in ruins pretty fast. Tobacco acts much slower.

Coca-Cola put coca extract in their drink, which wasn't even significant. The only alcohol you could keep your tin foil hat on for is absinthe. Maybe. Alcohol itself lowers inhibitions, so you're more likely to try any other drugs only when you're drunk already. Is that what you meant?

Even morphine can be used for good in moderation. It's always about moderation, the problem is when it becomes too difficult!
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I really don't think that alcohol can be considered as a hard drug as it does not affect a person the same way as the drugs belonging in the category. I haven't tried using meth or cocaine, or any other drugs which are considered hard drugs but I know that just a small amount can have a drastic effect on the person. Take ecstasy for example, just one pill is a very powerful stimulant and it can take effect within minutes of ingesting it. LSD can cause hallucinations and a small amount of it can affect a person up to more than 12 hours. You won't have hallucinations with a drop of booze or wine.
  15. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

Ecstasy isn't dangerous because it's a "powerful stimulant", it's because it can alter personality permanently after the first intake. Alcohol can do it too. Hallucinations happen to long-term drinkers as well... the way you described LSD, nutmeg should be considered "hard".
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Sorry if I wasn't able to explain what I meant very carefully. I was comparing the dose. You won't hallucinate with just drinking a mug of beer or a glass of wine. Yes, hallucinations can happen to long-time drinkers. But with hard drugs like LSD, you would have hallucinations within hours of taking it.
  17. danidemure

danidemure Member

I would consider it a hard drug. From experience with my SO, it completely changes his behavior. He also at one point could not function without it. I have a friend who was the same way. It is definitely addictive.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Rather than call alcohol a "hard drug," I'd rather consider it a toxic and addictive substance which can lead to severe psychological or behavioral issues after a period of constant consumption. If you're simply a social drinker with enough self-control to dispose of, then alcohol consumption may not ruin your life in the long run. If it were otherwise and you become heavily dependent on alcohol, then more than the subsance itself, the person is the one who got himself into such a situation.
  19. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Well alcohol is in a different class from those other drugs. One can drink alcohol and not get addicted but if you take cocaine or heroin once either you are going get addicted to it or you will swear it off completely. They all have different effects on you.
  20. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I think that any drug that you can become so addicted to that you cannot function normally and your health becomes at risk is a hard drug. I once dated a guy who was an alcoholic who at one point had been drinking up to 24 beers a day and a 5th of whiskey every other day. He was going into liver failure when he finally decided to give it up. His doctors told him if he had waited one more month he would have been dead. That sounds like a hard drug to me.