An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you regard alcohol as a "hard drug"?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amethyst, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

That is what is sometimes overlooked. Alcoholics can't function without it. The shakes is a very real thing and people that are addicted can't function with out it.
  2. KingEeyore

KingEeyore Member

I definitely believe Alcohol should be considered a hard drug. Having been a part of the alcohol industry for over 5 years and having been around it my whole life (the industry and drinking) I think it's definitely a hard drug and easily abused. It's only because of it's social acceptance that we allow it to be so prevalent in our society. But.... I do believe people have the freedom and right to do whatever they don't hurt other people. Alcohol can be just as damaging as any other hard drug. Possibly, more so since it's legal and easier to obtain.
  3. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

Alcohol is meant to be a stimulant not a drug. Something like the way people drink coffee and take tea to keep them going. Most people misuse this drug and give it a bad reputation that it does not deserve.

So according to me I would consider it as not a heavy drug. For heavy drugs small doses can leave you soaring high while some people get drunk after taking a lot of bottles while others a glass.
  4. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

Stimulants are drugs, by definition... the question is whether it's moderately (soft) or extremely (hard) dangerous.
  5. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Alcohol is not a hard drug, but this doesn't mean it's not an highly addictive substance. Alcoholism is there to prove it so we should be very careful with abusing it.
  6. No, not really. I don't think it is impossible to not get addicted to alcohol. Alcohol is great if consumed in moderation, so I mostly drink alcohol only in social situations. I have had some of may best conversations with my friends over alcohol. Drugs however are meant to be addictive, and it is more difficult to get over them.
  7. remnant

remnant Community Champion

On the face it, alcohol is not a hard drug. But a deeper look reveals a disturbing truth. It causes cancers, shrinks the brain and the male reproductive organs, causes liver cirrhosis, fatty liver amongst others. Not to mention the social cost. These are hard effects and can only be caused by hard drugs.
  8. oportosanto

How scary is it that alcohol is not a hard drug and at the same time does all the harm that we can see. May this be a serious warning to avoid it and all the hard drugs.
  9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

No, I wouldn't regard alcohol as a hard drug. Certainly, the effects of alcohol can be just as devastating as any hard drug. But the facts are that you can enjoy alcohol casually and not have any problems arise from it. Whereas with hard drugs, you're always at risk of killing yourself or being severely incapacitated with even limited use.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I believe that would be fair to say it's a hard drug, I would say a lower level hard drug because it not as consistently devastating as drugs like heroin, cocaine, ice, meth and others. However many people loose their lives, family and property because of addiction to alcohol.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

It may not be the hardest, but it is the deadliest. Alcohol has the ability to destroy, but yet it is so widely accepted.
    To me it is easier to get addicted to because it is so easy to get. Not like the harder stuff I eager young people to think able drinking it. It's like marriage not to be taken lightly it can have terrible results if abused.
  12. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

From this definition I would say that alcohol is not a hard drug or a drug at all. It can have the affects as any substance that is abused can but technically by the definitions given it is not. Alcohol isn't a drug.
  13. oportosanto

I think it doesn't really matter to understand if it's a drug or not. As far as I see it, the most important is to realize we cannot abuse it because it's addicting.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it cannot be classified something as cocaine since alcohol is legal. Also alcohol is consumed ever since the ancient times (not sure if that is the same case with hard drugs). Alcoholic drinks can also be less dangerous compared to hard drugs in a minimal or right amount.
  15. oportosanto

The legality of substances not always is related with how good how bad they are, it's a matter of political decisions. We are the ones that need to realize what suits us or not.
  16. rush

rush Member

Well it really depends on how much alcohol you drink. If you consume a lot, or binge drink that can really take its toll on you. If you drink small amount should not really be to much of a problem.
  17. oportosanto

If we drink on a daily basis it's a problem and it really doesn't matter if we call it a hard drug or not. It messes our life totally, so it's an addicting substance.
  18. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

I wouldn't say alcohol is a hard drug, it's more of an alternation method. You know, a lot of things can do that to your brain that aren't considered "drugs". I myself drink alcohol but never to drunkness, and it is quite healthy sometimes if you have self-control, however, for those who don't it can be damaging, but.. a "hard drug" no matter how much you consume it, it is definitely bad and deadly.
  19. oportosanto

If we are wasted all the time with alcohol and that isn't hard I really don't know what to say. It's all a matter of perspective and definitions though, what matter is how it changes our life.
  20. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Yеs, аlсоhоl is quitе роssibly thе mоst dаngеrоus drug аvаilаblе.

I rеmеmbеr а timе whеn I wаs 19, I wаs tаlking аbоut hеrоin usеrs аnd hоw I wоuld nеvеr usе hеrоin bесаusе thе аddiсts аlwаys еnd uр оn thе strееt with nоthing lеft. My rооmmаtе sаid tо mе, "gо dоwn tо thе strееt аnd tаlk tо thоsе guys, thеy аrе аll оn thе lаst drug, аlсоhоl. Sоmеоnе оn hеrоin might еnd uр thеrе, but thеn thеy mоvе оn tо аlсоhоl. Аlсоhоl is thе lаst drug."

Аlсоhоl is оnе оf thе fеw drugs thаt is sо аddiсtivе thаt withdrаwаls саn bе fаtаl. Реорlе diе frоm dеtоxing frоm аlсоhоl. My bеst friеnd wаs in thе IСU fоr а wееk аftеr gеtting stаbbеd in thе сhеst. Thеy hаd tо givе him bееr whilе hе wаs in thеrе bесаusе thеy wеrе аfrаid hе wоuld diе if hе didn't drink