An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you regard alcohol as a "hard drug"?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amethyst, Jul 3, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

I don't know if it is the most dangerous, but surely it's at the top. People don't see it as harmful and before they know it they are addicted.
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Harmful effects of alcohol are not immediate. It takes a while for alcohol to damage liver and kidney. However, alcohol is as bad as cocaine and heroine. Regular use of alcohol is as bad as heroine.cocaine abuse. Alcohol is not a hard drug but the effects of alcohol are similar to hard drugs
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well, the tribe has spoken. I guess this all boils down to the fact that there isn't much difference between alcohol and hard drugs. Drugs are only as hard as their level of use. If you're not using them consistently, then your addiction level won't be as high as those who frequently sniff or inject drugs.
  4. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

There is some difference. I mean, with alcohol you don't get hooked immediately, while with hard drugs you consume a couple of times and that's it, you're hooked.
  5. Atsion

Atsion Member

Marijuana is not an addictive drug. Yes, alcohol is categorized as a hard drug. Alcohol is the only drug in which detoxification withdrawal can kill you.
  6. Alcohol is an entrenched part of our society. It is regarded as an aid to social and celebratory events, and a way for many people to relax and let go. However, alcohol can be seriously addictive and tears apart many lives and families every year.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener