An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you work serving alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sunflogun, Apr 30, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

This might seem a strange question, but up to what point is society and people that work in the alcohol industry contributing to the addiction? Would you work in this industry knowing the consequences that is has?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't blame people as much as I blame society. I don't think that people working in the alcohol industry are really contributing to it at all, if someone wants to drink they're going to find a way to do it. People who work in the industry, such as waiters, bar staff, etc, usually know when someone has had too much to drink and will then refuse to serve them any more. As for addiction, that's really the individual person's choice. I have had several jobs where alcohol was involved.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

I wouldn't go as far as not to work for some industry just because some people may get addicted with their products. Everything in this world that causes pleasure, it's likely to be addictive, and that's something we really have no control over. Drugs have been banned from society for a long time now, still people find a way to get it. they always have and always will.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

At the end of the day a job is a job and they can be hard to come by.

It also depends on what side if the industry aswell. Working in a bar you'll have more control on who to serve and who not. Working for a company in an office you won't get to see that side of things so you'll just treat it like any other job I guess.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I would not work on those industries serving alcohol as much as possible. Although these industries are not to be blamed fully since a person has its own mind and free will whether to buy or not. But there are advertisements that are sometimes over or not appropriate like saying that drinking everyday is just okay and then flashing a very small reminder that drink moderately. :p
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

I don't think anyone who has an addiction problem should work in the alcohol business serving alcohol. That is like putting fuel on the fire. However, if I as person were given a choice, I would decline to work in the industry, just because that is not the line of work I would prefer to be in.
  7. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

If you suffer alcoholic addiction it is not the place for you to work. The manufacturer of these products did not cause the addiction, everything should be done in moderation and so we are responsible for our actions. I dont have a problem working in this industry.
  8. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

Since I am in recovery, I do not work nor do I apply for jobs where alcohol is served or where drinking at work is part of the culture. There are people that seem to go through life being able to have a drink or two and be fine, but I know that is not who I am. I have to create a buffer from that world and be accountable for my actions.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If I did work in a establishment that serves alcohol it has to be as a survival situation. Everyone need to make a living. Sure alcohol being in close proximity of me might be the best thing, but I need to pay my bills and feed myself. That is the first and only reason to take a job in a establishment that sells alcohol.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I do work in a Stadium which sells alcohol and I check Ids and also make sure the person is not drunk or stumbles if they do than I refuse them and am able to control myself and keep my senses in control as well. I think a person should be careful when working in these sort of areas as their mind may want it but need to overcome the urge as it would not reflect well in your job. I try and keep resitsting the urge to drink, as a person who drinks when working can put himself in danger and also not good for others working around them or the establishment.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Personally for me, I wouldn't if I could avoid it. Like @JoshPosh mentioned, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive, and if my only option for financial purposes was working serving alcohol then I would. Where I live there's actually a certification you need to do before you can serve alcohol as your job, so if you're a bartender, waitress or in any role where you would be selling alcohol there's a course you need to do before you can get accepted for the job. I think it's a good thing because then if you're working in those industries you have a framework for being able to decline people drinks if they are drunk and so forth. Not sure if any of you have similar legislation where y'all live?
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think they are contributing to the problem at all. Unless they are pointing a gun at anyone's head and forcing them to drink, they have no responsibility in anyone not being able to handle it in my opinion. I think all choices in life should be available as much as possible and with as little meddling from everyone else. I don't think it is fair to say that it is the fault of the industry just because a minority amount of people abused it at some point.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

At the end of the day, it's just a business like any other. Alcohol is legal and so they have every right to sell it.

While the industry needs to be more aware a of the problems alcohol causes, I don't think it's up to them to regulate it.
  14. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I don't have a problem serving it. I didn't really have problems dealing with alcohol. But if you have a history with it getting addicted to it, then it's best to stay away from it.
  15. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I won't. It's my weakness. It's not a good idea to be around it, much more work with it.
  16. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

We have the two sides of the question, we can refuse to do it due to personal weakness, being afraid to relapse or we can refuse to do it because it's against our principle. Both are valid reasons as far as I see it.
  17. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think I wouldn't get close to bar jobs or jobs that would require me to hand in Alcohol so people can get drink. However, I would work a job where it's in a general store and if anyone wants to buy alcohol, they would ask me where is it and I would refer them to it. I guess alcohol is not really the issue, there's people like me who can drink but don't feel the need to drink more, it's up to the person. Best thing is not to abuse alcohol, so after all, I wouldn't say one should stop, unless it's in a bar, that's not good.
  18. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

If you ask me personally, my response will be "Why not?" I haven't had an alcoholic addiction so it shouldn't be a problem to me. However, I have seen in my family what drinking can do to people and their relationships. So there is a moral side of the question. Would I serve people something I know is bad for them? Well, if I don't have any other job, I will accept that. I mean, I am not exactly forcing them to drink. Also, in small quantities it's even good for the health. When it comes to excessive drinking, I don't think it really matters who is serving the drink. If it's not me, it would be someone else... There are plenty of candidates for the job.
  19. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think it really comes down to people and their determination/self-control/situation. I know dry alcoholics who have no problem refusing to drink and being around alcohol and serving it; I know people for who that might be too much, too. Some people do need jobs though, and if you work in a kitchen, you either have to change your job or brace yourself. Depends on every person.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would, but I have never struggled with alcohol. If I were a recovering addict, however, I would not want to put myself in a temptation-prone environment, so no.