An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you work serving alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sunflogun, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

As long as you can acknowledge that it is a weakness of yours, then I think that you are ok. It is good to know your enemy and be able to recognize it.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't think a person will have a problem if they work in a field that makes them be surrounded by alcohol if they don't have a drinking problem. The only time it can be considered a threat is if they are an alcoholic. So with that said, I would love to be a bartender if I can learn how to or if I pass a job application for that.
  3. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Drug dealers are blamed for crime and addicts. Why shouldn't the alcohol industry and beer breweries be blamed for alcoholism? The difference here is that society and governments have accpeted it and there is money to made off of the taxes. It's never about public health, it's about money.
  4. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

The difference between drugs and alcohol is that drugs are always harmful, but also medicine is considered a drug, and it is not harmful, but the drugs you're referring to is harmful, and at the same time, the drugs that are in medicine can be harmful if consumed in a way it shouldn't be. On the other hand, alcohol is not bad, it can be really good for you in small amounts, so it's not really the governments fault, but I would say there is a fault in them to a certain extent where they don't prevent certain things happening if they could, but alcohol in itself shouldn't be fully prevented because just as normal drugs which is used as medicine is not prevented, all of them can be used in a bad way.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My daughter is a bartender and she sees all kinds of things. It is her job and her lively hood. She handles in well. She has been in positions that have been down right scary. I couldn't do it myself. It is a job and somebody has to do it. I don't think badly of them for doing it. Most people who drink are not alcoholics.
  6. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Alcohol is such a big cultural, traditional, ritualistic, religious even (for some religions) part of human life -- even if you would not consider the economical aspect of it -- that it cannot be compared. Drugs, even if they sometimes start as medicines, are created with the intent of being drugs, addictive, profitable, giving a high and all. Alcohol has many more sides to it and banning it always get an outrage not just from alcoholics and from the addicted, but from a much more larger spectrum of population. Heck, I live in Bavaria, land of the Oktoberfest, and some of the biggest revolts here were based on attempts from the government to raise the price of the taxes!

Think about all the microbreweries, all the "connoisseurs", all the vineyards and their bottles made a few hundred of years ago, about port and champagne, gin and tonic: it has a flair, an aura, a folklore -- and it can easily be opposed in this way to hard drugs like coke or meth, which, if it has an aura, said aura would be an aura of self-destruction, and not much good to redeem it at all.

I mean, I think when wine and beer have such a huge place in literature, arts, theater, history, religion (at least in catholicism), health, high cuisine and so many more domains, it is a bit silly to say that it's only about money.

And I think that if we want to blame something for alcoholism, we could blame socioeconomical problems that addicted people have to deal with, the things that make them fall into the traps of "self-medicating" their problems with the cheapest mind-number; we could try to fix that, or try to help them through their trauma (traumas and low socio-economical class are two of the major factors of addiction problems), instead of just attacking the breweries and vineyards. It would make more sense.
  7. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I could. I don't think I would, but I could. I don't have much trouble being around alcohol itself. I have more trouble with people who are already drunk. I get... anxious, I guess? Edgy to be on my way? Maybe it would be different with a bar standing between myself and the customer.
  8. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Whelp sadly I must say yes I would; because I did. I owned a tavern for over twenty years. I had daily customers that I could actually set the clock by. Many would only have one or two and go live their life, some retired, some full time hard workers; yes they were probably alcoholics by statistics. Yet that is what they did and how they functioned.
    Others were full blown “drunks”! They would come in appearing “sober” yes M’ame no M’ame, please and thank you then poof they would have that one drink that sent them over the border into the drunk have no clue what they were doing; totally different person.
    I had many good times at that bar and made thousands LOL of “friends”; one of my happiest days was selling it and becoming a non owner. Those thousands of friends became a few hundred down to a few dozen; many have died.
    I have over 35 years bar tending experience and would not go back to that job for any amount of money.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think I could handle working in this industry since I know now how to manage my cravings perfectly well. I believe it's all about having self-discipline, and if you know how to control yourself, then you'll definitely do just fine.
  10. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

No I wouldn't work serving alcohol. I used to drink daily for 10 years and I don't think I have enough self control to be around that much alcohol. I frequented bars and clubs, that's where I drank, so I steer clear of those environments for enjoyment. I definitely would not work there.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

They are SUPPOSED to refuse to serve them right?
    Well in all my years as a deadbeat alcoholic, I was never once cut off.
    I look back and I think there was at least 20 times I should have been cut-off, but I wasn't.
  12. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

They are supposed sure, but does it ever happen? Most people simply don't care unless they see other people are really all messed up.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Selling alcohol doesn't make one the villain. If only people drunk responsibly then selling alcohol would be a respectable occupation like any other but because they don't, those who sell the alcohol will be misjudged but they shouldn't be blamed for the existing problem because alcoholism has been a problem for ages now.

That said I don't think selling alcohol would be a good job for me. I'm not good with people. I'd be fired the next morning.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Ironically, I've been refused entry into places before I'd even had a drink so it can work both ways! Yes, they're supposed to refuse to serve them and in most cases, any member of staff in their right mind will do so otherwise it could be them cleaning up that person's vomit and mess or risk having them fall around breaking stuff. By continuing to serve them they would be making their own job harder.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I would have no problem with working as a bartender, as I have enough self-control now not to abuse the free drinks. And people should also learn not to drink to much alcohol in a night. However, if I saw someone being too drunk and still asking for a shot, I would not give them any.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Right it does.
    Perhaps the fact I never got cut off also speaks to the types of shady joints I used to frequent...
  17. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I would prefer to get away from that, at the same time there are worse jobs, these days it's really hard to find a job that is doing something truly positive.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Yes, I'd do it... it's just a job and bills need to be paid. So why not? I'd be more worried about be feeling tempted to drink a couple cocktails! I know that risk would be very real for me, so that is why I'd not take a job in the drink and entertainment industry. Too dangerous for someone like me! I know I'd relapse eventually.
  19. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I would do it as the ones who are serving it are not the ones to be blamed. We need to remember that alcohol is served at some of the most elite of functions and things will continue to be this way for a long time. It is up to the individual to be mindful of their limits and know when to call it quits and say enough is enough. If I am serving alcohol and see someone on the verge of purchasing and looks a particular way, extremely intoxicated, then in that case I may refuse to serve him but other than that, who am I to intervene in the act of someone having a little drink?
  20. juno

juno Community Champion

I don't think it is healthy for anyone to work in a profession where they have to regularly handle alcohol if they are recovering. It is simply self detrimental. I don't think alcohol has to be a dangerous thing that needs to be completely cut off for a healthy individual. In fact something like wine is an art and you can make a profession out of wine making or wine tasting. So, for healthy people it is fine. You have to know your boundaries.