An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you work serving alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sunflogun, Apr 30, 2015.

1. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I'd have trouble selling alcohol. Same reason as I have trouble giving cash to homeless people; I don't know what they're going to do with it. If I'm going to help them, I do it in tangible ways like actually buying them a meal. But I've got no control over someone who purchases a beer (or five) from me.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Sure, but at the same time do we want to be a part of the problem or a part of the solution?
  3. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

No I don't think I would because I cannot stand to see people who are addicted go off the rails and this is the type of job that exposes you to that. I would not enjoy this at all and would most likely be trying to either help them or get them banned.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

We used to own a small store and we sell alcohol. So yeah, I think I can work on an establishment that sells the stuff. I mean, some people are addicted to soda which can cause diabetes, but a lot of people work in places where they are being sold.
  5. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

I think working with alcohol on a daily basis would make me so bored of it. Kinda like working at McDonalds. You're surrounded by it so much that you no longer have the desire to partake in it. Maybe that's a long shot, but in theory it sounds good. No? lol
  6. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I would never sell my soul and pride for any amount of cash. Some things are just way too important for me than money. I would totally look like a hypocrite if I serve alcohol and at the same time hate it. I would be unable to live with myself.
  7. sunflogun

Not only the perspective of dealing with it a lot, but mostly the responsibility that is to be dealing alcohol all day long or night, it's a responsibility.
  8. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

As long as it is a legal job that pays a livable wage then I don't have a problem doing so. A lot of people wouldn't think twice about joining the army and going to war where they have to kill people so I don't see the problem in providing a service to adults who willing drink.
  9. sunflogun

Yeah, ultimately it's a legal job and eventually I am being idealistic, but I would avoid it if I could.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I couldn't work in that field at all. It goes against my God-given convictions. God knows what it does to people and that it's not good for us.
  11. sunflogun

That is what I am talking about, not only the social situation, but also our personal beliefs. Do we want to be a part of that or not?
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Everybody isn't a alcoholic, and alcohol is legal. People with drinking problems have to stay out of bars or places that serve alcohol. Certain people work at restaurants that serve alcohol and can't just quit there jobs. Working somewhere that serves alcohol isn't contributing to a problem because your not forcing someone to drink. There are to many jobs where alcohol is served even places you eat. It's really the responsibility of a individual to drink responsibly or not at all.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

If you are a server or a bartender, it's your job to serve the customer, not counsel them. The only time you should not be serving a customer is if they are excessively drunk. But beyond that, picking and choosing who you will or won't serve a drink to because you feel they may be an alcoholic or developing a problem, will likely get you fired from the job.

That's sort of like refusing to sell someone an order of french fries because you think they are too fat. You need to be more thick skinned to work in jobs dealing with the general public. In most cases, it's none of your business to start refusing services to various people simply because of your opinions or judgement of them. If you're sensitive to seeing people getting drunk, then bartending is obviously not the right job for you.

You wouldn't like it if a vegan cashier refused to sell you a hamburger at McDonald's would you? Not to mention, cherry picking who you're serving could get your employer slapped with a discrimination lawsuit.

If you're a recovering alcoholic yourself, it's not the employers fault that they serve it. This is one reason why some bars and restaurants won't hire servers or bartenders who are under 21, because technically they are not allowed to serve alcohol, so they have to keep getting others to do it for them, and it slows down their service overall.

You can't expect an employers whole business to revolve around you because you are avoiding alcohol. That was your choice to apply there.
    bluedressed likes this.
  14. sunflogun

Sure alcohol is legal, but does it make any sense that something that hurts us is legal? McDonalds is legal too, but is it good for our health?
  15. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

No, it is not good for your health. But at some point, you have to be a grown-up adult and be able to make this decision for yourself, without asking the government to make it illegal just because you have trouble with self-control.

Alcohol is legal; drunk driving is not. Because alcohol in itself is not the problem, but it does impair judgment and creates accidents and this should be illegal. And it is.

Alcohol is legal for 18+ years old; because it is judged that if you can drive, vote, serve in the army, you are also able to judge what is good for you and what isn't, and if you can't, there are services specifically designed for addicts and drunks, no need to make it a nation-wide policy.

Besides, having it illegal never made it go away, it just created more problems.
  16. sunflogun

Ha, no one is saying that I cannot make the decision by myself, we all know though that governments don't rule on our best interest, but from an economic perspective.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well.. considering my history with alcohol and all that I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting around alcoholic beverages every day, I would just trigger the cravings (though it's been a while and I'm in a good place now). It depends on the person, but I wouldn't do it.
  18. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Off-course they are responsible. If we go by the logic that a bartender only serves people a certain amount of alcohol and refuses to serve if he feels a guy has already had enough, then we should accept a pot dealer as a moral man if he only sells a specific amount to the teenagers.
  19. sunflogun

That's correct, he has a huge responsibility. Sure, anyone else can do the job, but that's no longer our responsibility.
  20. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I wouldn't cut it as a bartender. I would not be able to handle working with drunk people all day. My problem would not be the temptation of drinking, but more so the temptation of hurting someone because they're being obnoxious.