An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would you work serving alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sunflogun, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello, I have worked as a server and even as a bartender. I have served alcohol but I always made sure that the customer was over the legal age limit to consume alcohol. In addition, I never over-served; if I saw that a customer was no longer in control, then I refused to serve him or her. My manager and the law always supported me on this stance. Hope this helps!
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

If it would depend on my survival most probably I would you know, but if I had an alternative I would go for it.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think most of those working in the wine tasting profession are closet alcoholics ;) I've met a couple of them, and let me tell you that is not the most healthy profession, not if you value your liver. But I agree, there are healthy people out there who can work at a bar, people who don't have a story of alcoholism. Because I know not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.
  4. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I don't think there is anything wrong with alcohol in itself. It's as harmless as (or not) as say, cough syrup, sleeping pills, um, glue? The problem lies in the mind and attitude of people and the society at large that tends to carry a person towards misuse of alcohol and addiction. There is nothing wrong with occasional drinking. Many doctors believe it keeps the heart young and healthy when taken in moderation. But moderation is not a concept all of us understand and that is not the alcohol manufacturers' fault but our very own. So yes, I don't see why I wouldn't work in an alcohol company if I had the opportunity.
  5. sunflogun

Well, I am not agreeing with that. Alcohol in moderation might be fine, but usually what happens is that people abuse. The same with drugs, are we prepared to deal with those substances?
  6. layton

layton Member

I would work selling alcohol. Some individuals need a job. I do not believe that serving alcohol is the problem. In most restaurant and bars they will cut the consumer off if they become to intoxicated. I also believe that just having one or two social drinks is not a bad thing.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

People who work in those industries have no role whatsoever in people's addiction. Choices have consequences and that's something that we must live with. Addicts are who they are because of the choices they made and the blame lays squarely on in their box.
  8. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I'm a manager of a store that sells alcohol and I never thought I would see so many people come in already drunk off their asses, grab another 6 pack and try to buy it, knowing damn well they shouldn't be driving. I've even seen women come in drunk with their kids. As management I'm able to turn them away, but that doesn't stop them from yelling and cursing or even trying to steal the alcohol. Its sad to see people like that.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I haven't had a job involving serving alcohol to others. Though the person being served alcohol is an adult and that is how they should be treated. Sure, people, ads, ect can influence you but in the end it's not like people are chugging alcohol down your throat. I remember in the news about a woman who was a flight attendant and her religion forbade her to serve alcohol which caused problems for her at work. So sometimes more than one thing may play into whether or not you take a job that involves serving alcohol
  10. sunflogun

Well, this is not exactly the case, we all have our role especially if we are serving alcohol. We are not dealers sure, but we are not that far from that.
  11. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I used to be a bartender and server at a bar and grill type of restaurant. While working as a bartender and as a server, there were times I had to cut people off and stop serving them alcohol. Sometimes the manager would even call a taxi for someone who was not in any condition to drive, who had no one to drive him or her home.

At the time, I did not really think about serving alcohol to others as a moral issue, even though I had experienced first hand the detrimental effects it can have on one's family. At the time, it was a way to pay my bills. I suppose if I ever worked in this industry again I might think twice about it.
  12. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

Serving alcohol is not something which should be frowned upon. They don't play any part at all in inducing someone's addiction. They're just working there to earn money at the end of the day. I would serve alcohol if my financial status demands it.
  13. Starlight

Starlight Member

I wouldn't, but only because it would be like I'm contributing to someone's addiction. I would feel really awful if a family man, continued to destroy his life with addiction and I was the cause of it. :(
  14. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't see why not, just as long as you don't serve someone that is inebriated or under the legal drinking age there shouldn't be a problem. Most people don't over drink and normally do know their limits.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I have nothing against bartenders and waiters who serve alcohol. Not all their customers are dependent on alcohol. Many folks frequent a bar or any other venue that serves alcohol just to spend time with their friends and for entertainment purposes. In many ways, they add value and contribute towards society.

Every person is responsible for their own alcohol intake. The purveyors of a brand of whiskey are not at fault if someone becomes drunk or eventually turns into an alcoholic.
  16. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

If the alcoholic is aware of the alcohol in the dish, you'll undo the habits that he's trying to build in order to recover from the addiction.
    If the addict is unaware of the alcohol, his body is still going to respond to the alcohol "in the same old way" and he's going to experience the same old physical cravings.
    And if you're any kind of cook at all, you'll figure out a menu that will please and excite everybody at the table without any alcohol in anything. Serving a dish with alcohol to the other diners is just like inviting your recovering friend to come to a bar for a club soda while everybody else has a cocktail or beer. If you're serving pre-dinner drinks or wine with dinner, do your friend a favor and soft-pedal the rituals and commentary -- don't rub his nose in it.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I did for about 8 years. You are right. Its not good. I mean I was like everyone else who drinks socially and when going out. This is what some people do. It started to bother me when I saw the serious alcoholics. I began to feel like I was doing something wrong. Someone asked me to make a drink very light for their friend who just got out of the hospital. It began to feel like my spirit was dying. I felt really bad about it.
    It wasn't that long after it all started to hit me that I needed to get out of it. So I did. You make a lot of money if you are very social and funny. I would say when I started I was moderately introverted and extroverted when I wanted to. Working as a bartender actually gave me a way to be more extroverted and social. I did make a ton of money and enjoyed the people very much.
    I think that you are right. This lifestyle needs to evolve. Its pointless and destructive. It would be good if there were more places to go like a bar but without the alcohol. Same kind of idea but with healthy things. A non-alcoholic bar, Lol. Juke box, pool table, mega touch, snacks and beverages....whatever at least a place to socialize that doesn't slowly kill people.
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Why blame those who sell and contribute to selling alcohol as much as those who overdo it? Alcohol isn't a bad thing, it's just that people tend to overdo absolutely everything for utterly petty momentary pleasures. Those who are trying to make money off these people have nothing to reproach themselves. They already conduct all the necessary "scaring" campaigns to prevent addiction, but if it doesn't work, they aren't responsible for their inaptness either!
  19. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Everything in life is a choice and working in a factory making alcohol beverages would not make anyone a hypocrite. Alcohol is not being made for people to over drink it, it is made for us to enjoy it if we do like it. I like red wine and one glass is just what i need in the end of the day. Recently i have been drinking more heavily and stronger spirits but that is not the topic here. The point is that i made a choice. The logic here would be that if we did not make it i would not be able to start drinking heavily but on the other hand if we did not make alcohol, the other me would not be able to enjoy a healthy glass of red wine a day. We are responsible for what we do. Like with those stupid shows or movies on TV. Just change the channel and you will be OK.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  20. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I would work yes but only because it is a job, too. In the times when a job is a rare thing, and also money is a necessity, I would have to go along with all the negative things it can lead to. It would not be my personal choice if I had any other offers to choose from, but I would always make sure I don't serve any alcohol to teenagers.