An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Would your rewind the time?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by FuZyOn, May 18, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

By this I mean: Would you go back in time and stop yourself from becoming addicted? I know a lot of people that won't do it just because they feel like getting past an addiction made them more mature and aware of the danger in their lives.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have no regrets about anything in my life. Everything I did in the past, I did for a reason. I was naive and desperate in many ways, and I did things that weren't in my best interest, but I didn't know any better at the time. I don't know if I could have done things differently under the circumstances then, but I definitely sure about never wanting to go back to those days to find out. :)
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was not really an addict, but somehow, if I could, I would want to go back in the past and make things right.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I wasn’t an addict but I’ve often thought I’d like to go back in time and undo some of the mistakes I made, and/or make some of the decisions I didn’t make back then. But who’s to say I wouldn’t have ended up making worse mistakes in their stead? So I’ve been learning to accept my past for what it is.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I don't regret anything in my life, it's certainly been an experience, put it that way. I think I probably would like to rewind time and do things differently.

I wouldn't make the same mistakes, yes, the mistakes have made me stronger, but they're still mistakes that I shouldn't have done.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Good question. I wouldn't really wanna change anything if ever I'd be given the chance to go back in time. I believe everything that happened in the past be it good or bad were meant to happen to bring me where I am right now. And when I talk about 'now', I can say that I'm a truly happy and contented person. I've learned a lot from my mistakes in the past and those are the things I'm going to bring with me through life. :)
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is a tough one, I made a lot mistakes that had some really bad consequences in my life and the life of my parents. But at the same time I'm who I am now thanks to all the things that happened in my past, I believe I'm now a better person thanks to that :) So I guess no, since it's not even possible to do that, but if it actually was I'd probably consider it ;)
  8. Tremmie

To be honest I sometimes wish I could go back in time and stop myself from wasting so much time with my addictions and other things. But I guess things could have gone worse, it is true I wasted a lot time, but I guess everything happens for a reason. It's like when for some reason you can't leave a place earlier, who knows, if you had gone sooner maybe you'd have had an accident. Maybe we all did what we were supposed to... in the right place and at the right time.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Sometimes I have a hard time with that line of thought, but it has ended up being true more than once in my life. Reminds me of an image that was circulating online a while back, about how an arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward - so if life is dragging you back, it could mean you’re about to be launched into something great. Or at least better than the present.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I also was never an addict, and even if I took weed and cigarettes before, I never got addicted to any of them, so it's safe to say that I can go back in time, take it again, and nothing bad would happen because I don't have an addictive personality.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My addiction cost me a lot. And all it took was but one stupid decision to turn my life upside down. Did I learn anything from the addiction? Yes. That addictions are worthless. If I could go back . . . I never would touch the stuff. I'd run the opposite direction.

But instead of fantasizing, I intend to fight the addiction, beat eat it and hope that by sharing my experiences and what I've learned with younger people they may avoid being enslaved by drugs and other addictions.
  12. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

There are some things in life I wish I could rewind the time and do over, but the lessons I have learned from them I probably wouldn't have learned had I not gone through them. So now I just try to learn from mistakes and keep moving while also dealing with regrets.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I wouldn't change anything at all. OK, I spent a ot of money and these days, things are lean but it was all part of who I am right now. If I hadn't been through an addiction, I'd undoubtedly be less tolerant of others going through the same thing. Addiction has also taught me to never be judgemental - we simply don't know what is going on in peoples lives.
  14. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, you take things as they come. You don't regret everything that happens in the past. If you do it too much, it's mental degradation again. Time does not roll back, you just realize it and move on. Not repeating past mistakes is a good recourse and keeps you in goodstead mentally.
  15. Shrektinator

Shrektinator Member

I haven't really been an addict, but I wouldn't want to go in the past and change anything. Everything is fine as it is, and changing something might just make it worse. The best thing is to just learn from your mistakes, and so making those mistakes means your learning and you won't do it next time.
  16. Tremmie

That is a nice way to see it, so in order to move forward you need to take a few steps back ;) I loved that analogy! I'll think about it next time something not so good happens. Like for example... recently a person who I thought I'd be very good friends with suddenly stopped talking to me, well, maybe this was for the best, maybe that person was too emotionally unstable, so I'm better off without him :)
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think so, but that's only because my addictions have mostly been less of a threat. I imagine I'd probably have a different tone if I Got addicted to something like meth or heroin. In my current state though, I think I would miss out on so much had I not been given the chance to explore on my own so I wouldn't really do it any other way even if given a choice.
  18. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

What doesn't kills you makes you stronger. There's no denying addiction turned my life upside down, but the experience I got from it was priceless. I was a weak person before, often running away from problems I needed to face, but now I fight my problems while being sober. So no, I don't think I will ever want to go back into the past.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyone at some point in their life has ask wished that they could go back in time and changed a few things. This shouldn't even be a question. You should be asking the date and I think that would be more of a variance.

Yes, I would go back and never touched a beer in my life. They years spent drunk I will never be able to get back.
  20. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

The past is the past. You make mistakes and then learn from them. What is important is that you learn to bounce back and take it from there.