An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Write a Letter to Yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Dec 4, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Write a letter to yourself, starting with the reasons why you want to become clean and/or sober. Write down all of the things that are in your life that make you happy, that are worth fighting for. Write down your goals for the future, while keeping mind that these goals can be flexible or change as you grow during recovery. Write to yourself words of encouragement. Look back on this letter you have written to yourself when you are feeling weak. It may be the inspiration you need when you are having a tough time.
    xTinx and Rainman like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's something I wish I'd known a long time ago when I was having difficulty resisting cravings each time I tried to fight an addiction that held me captive. This can be a good way to re-motivate yourself when you feel that you can't go on. A letter reminding you why you should keep doing what you had planned to do can give you the impetus you badly need to keep going.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I didn't specifically write a letter to myself but I did do a lot of journaling and things like that when I was recovering. It helped me immensely - just getting my thoughts down on paper was useful. I think that anything that allows you to put your feelings in perspective and helps you make sense of things is wonderful.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think journaling is a great idea. You can look back through the entries and see where you were and how far you have come. When you are having a bad day and struggling you can look back and re-read the days you were feeling in control. I would recommend people journal their thoughts, feelings, fears, accomplishments, etc.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I never wrote a letter to myself but every goal and aspiration I have is kept in my mind throughout my entire concious life, which motivates me to pull through even when things are getting hard. Keep fighting, only if you do you'll get stronger!
  6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I love to write letters, but I don't think I've ever written a letter to myself. It would be interesting to look back at the way I was feeling at that given moment and if I followed through with my hopes and dreams. I like the idea of writing a letter for a week in the future because it allows you to remember what you were thinking during the writing process.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This is one of the best ideas I've heard so far. Writing on a whole helps us get through situations, so why not do it when trying to recover? I'm going through a low point write now and I think I'm just going to write a letter to myself and let it all out.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I absolutely love this idea, and I think I am going to write the one for me as well. Whenever you feel like you're about to relapse, you just have got to read that letter you wrote to yourself, and it might help you stay on track. It's definitely a good way of inspiring/motivating yourself.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have always taken meditation to be that personal letter. If one can have time to meditate then they can have the time to ask themselves so many questions about their life. It is also a good idea to write down and follow whatever you have written down. Write about challenges that you are facing and how you plan to move forward. Think about how your current addiction is hindering your progress and how you plan to proceed with with the same projects. Never give up and always motivate yourself.
  10. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This can be a very good technique to keep your goals in mind. Since 2013 I started a personal blog where I share all the things that I'm concerned about and basically all the things that I want at the moment and it's really interesting to read it, it's going to be almost three years now and I think that sometimes it's good to look back just to know how much you've progressed and changed.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree that writing a letter seems to be an effective way to keep yourself going when you are struggling with recovery. Reading it will will inspire you to fight and not give up.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I am not that good at expressing my feelings, even to myself. But I will try this, at least it will improve my writing and informal speech. After all, I am the best person to practice social interaction with. I will confide to myself and write down all the emotions I got.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have written a couple of letters to myself over the years and it is very interesting to look back at these letters years later to see what you were thinking and feeling at a certain period of your life. This would be an especially interesting thing to do during the recovery process so that you can look back at it years from now and remember the struggles you faced.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I didn't realize it but back when I was in high school and college, when teenage life was too overwhelming for me, I jotted down all my thoughts and emotions in a series of notebooks which I regarded as "diaries" at first before I started calling them "journals." I always wrote my entries in letter fashion (complete with dates, a "Dear Diary/Journal" as an opening phrase and "Love/Sincerely" as an ender), as if I was talking to someone who knew me all too well. But of course, I was only talking to myself to reassure my confused teenage brain that no matter what I go through, I'll still be all right.

Too bad I stopped writing journals 2 years after I joined society and worked my head off. I have blogs and I post every now and then but it's just different when you're actually using pen and paper to write to yourself. There's a healing quality to the whole undertaking. I'm thinking of resuming my old habit soon. It was one of the reasons why I never went astray during my teenage years. I had a shaky support system then, but gradually came to understand my teenage struggles thanks to my diaries and journals.
  15. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I think writing a letter to yourself or journaling is a great idea. It can help keep perspective on your life. I know in the past when ive journaled it helped me tremendously to get my feelings out on paper. Also it helped me to look back on what i had written and see my struggles then which allowed me to realize my strength. It has awesome therapeutic value.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Being a difficult and honest person my letter to my self would not be a pretty sight. It would go something like this.

OK, you are aware your life is going nowhere on this path you are taking. Get a grip, compose yourself. She is just another that left you or left behind. Anyway, you are to old to let hurt take you to drinking again and to smart to say you searching inspiration. Still, you are going to do it because you are hard headed. If you have to ruin yourself just try to do it with some style if it is possible. The best thing for you would be to erase any nice memory of that little thing you miss right now. Well, erase the whole last year and you will be fine. Either way, you are on the crossroads of your life with 30th summer approaching. Be smart if you can. Cheers.