An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Writing down your thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, Nov 14, 2014.

1. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I do but not as often as before. I write letters to my family. It is sometimes better that way especially when you're mad, at least you can edit what you want to say. So there are less offenses and hurts. I write letters to God. But usually now, I casually talk to God in my prayers. It gives me the feelings of tranquility and confidence that everything will be all right in due time.

For sure, writing is a very good way to release one's innermost thoughts and feelings. It can also help in understanding what one has been through when he/she looks back at all those writings. At times, I write about lessons I've learned when I'm feeling discouraged. So when I feel that way again, I can go back to my "lessons." I also look at it as therapeutic. Writing helps me recover from a downtrodden feeling.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  2. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Talking to God is always a good thing! He's a great listener. :)
    stariie, Zyni and CpXi7z1 like this.
  3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Just like art therapy, writing therapy (if there is such a concept) is only going to work if the person doing it enjoys doing it, and is willing to express themselves at that point in their recovery. I have greatly benefitted from writing, and have been doing it since grade school. Journals are especially good to help people. Some are meant for professionals to read, but the majority are for your own private use. Some examples are a daily diary, dream journal, and prayer manifest.
  4. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think it's a great way to release your fears, thoughts, and joy onto paper. I don't know if anyone else does this, but I often times find myself thinking I'm stupid and I'm going to fail all my college courses. I felt like writing down my accomplishments helped me realize that I'm doing okay, and I don't need to worry that much. Of course, compared to many people, my problems are probably not that severe. Just thought you should know that writing things down worked for me.
  5. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Talking and writing both express the emotional turmoil inside. Sometimes ranting and raving, even into a voice recorder, untangles the mind so one can think clearer and grasp an understanding of the source of the pain or upset and express or cope with it. Emotional expression comes in many forms--art, dance, running or other exercise, creating music, singing, writing, talking, etc.
  6. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think that writing what we think is a good idea because we can check our progress and see how much we have improved.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  7. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

I've heard the suggestion about writing letters to the people who wronged you, but the caveat is to not send any letters written in anger. Once you've vented the anger you might be able to write a calmer letter detailing the offense and your feelings concerning it. Letters sent in anger cause an offense, which, in some cases, leads to the person who offended you retaliating with an angry letter or some other hot-headed choice.
  8. notodrugs

Indeed Brady2121. You just get a certain feeling of assurance that He is listening. Then things go well if not according to what you want, definitely, it is for your own good. I have had moments of realizations about things happening in certain ways and not what I was hoping would happen. Then I figured why when events start to fall into its right places at the right time. It just gives me the reassurance that God hears me by answering according to what's beneficial to me. :)
    Brady2121 and CpXi7z1 like this.
  9. notodrugs

Yes, true CpXi7Z1. It just makes you feel remorseful in the end when you cannot undo what has been said. I've had moments like this that I wish I could not have said or done out of anger. So I write to screen my thoughts and feelings. I recently wrote my teenage daughter about a delicate issue that she was not emotionally prepared for. Had I talked to her about it, I knew she would be really furious with me for bringing it up. And that would have started a heated argument between us. But she took it lightly. In fact, she told me that she realized her mistakes and did something about it. :)
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  10. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

From experience, I agree about the remorse. Wow! I'm glad that situation with your daughter worked out well.:)
    notodrugs likes this.
  11. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Very well said! You really do get a feeling of assurance when talking to God!
    notodrugs likes this.
  12. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think that our actions can be complemented by our prayers, for those who believe in that, the most important is that we keep the addiction away.
  13. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Your problems, severe or not, are still important. I think we all have moments where we feel down on ourselves. Try to never tell yourself that you're stupid or going to fail. When you catch yourself saying something negative like that, combat it immediately with something positive. "I WILL pass my courses!"

Positive thinking won't magically cure everything, but it definitely makes a difference, especially when you start programming yourself to say/think/do something positive each time the urge to be negative arises. Sometimes, we get in such a bad habit of being negative that it becomes almost automatic. It's another habit we have to break, so it doesn't become self-fulfilling prophecy.

Writing down your accomplishments is a great idea.
  14. terrainna

terrainna Member

Yes! Writing is a great tool to get in touch with your true feelings. Sometimes people don't allow you to talk it all out. They are so eager to give you advice rather than just listening. It also helps to save your writings in order to look back and see how far you have come.
  15. kima

kima Member

Writing does help calm me down when I'm feeling extremely vivid emotions. When I'm so angry to the point that I want to cry, I will write down how I feel in my journal. While I'm writing, I will have some thoughts like whether it is worth being angry about, why I am angry, or should I even be angry. There are a few times in which I have come to the conclusion that the fault was my own, and the issue can be resolved quicker when you put reason over feelings. In general, writing is an important part of my life because it is helpful and relaxing.
  16. rga1999

rga1999 Member

Writing is certainly a good outlet for me. Whenever I start feeling down, or something reminds me of possibly relapsing I just write it down. I reflect on it, and then it becomes a constant reminder of what makes me strong. What makes it possible for me to do this.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

For those who like to write or have an interest in it, this can be a therapeutic venue, but many are not into writing. However, I think artistic journaling can be another option. Where you use larger books and draw, write, collage, whatever you need to let out that energy and express yourself. It is almost a form of art therapy, which professional therapist use. However, just journal can not be your only therapy if you do have a serious issue. You still need to see a professional and perhaps an art therapist would be a good suit for someone who has such interests.
  18. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I truly believe in the power of the written word. Look at all the civilizations. All of them had some form of writing. Writing forms a bridge between the generations who had passed on and the generations who are yet to come. Without writing, we would be limited in the amount of knowledge we can transmit. When we transmit orally, it is very prone to mistakes. The written word is the way to go, if we want to go ahead.
  19. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I recently started writing every day regardless if I am feeling inspired or not. I take my daily prompts from "An Old Friend from Far Away" by Natalie Goldberg which focuses on different types of memories that can take me from a silly story about raspberries to my darkest moments. I have found that all those feelings and memories serve a purpose and I have to acknowledge and claim them as mine. When I was drinking heavily, I chose to lock everything that happened to me..lock it up so tight in the darkess recesses of my subconscious and then lose the key.
  20. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

For me, writing is a way to become more honest with myself in a very safe place. It is very difficult to admit mistakes and problems in front of another person...no matter how comfortable I feel with them. When I write, I put my inner critic aside, and write about how I see myself and the world. I explore my past and I have control over how much I dare myself to reveal.