An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Writing down your thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, Nov 14, 2014.

1. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Nice facts right there Brady :)

I didn't know poetry and writing were so influential. This opens up a whole new perspective for me.
  2. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

There should be a thread in this forum just for writing down thoughts! If you have a reasonable anonymous account, you could say anything and we could all feel together. It could be cool to see the random thoughts going through peoples heads in a free form writing session every once and a while.
    RoseK likes this.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Great idea :)
    People can actually even help you, in the comfort of your anonymity.
    RoseK likes this.
  4. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

There is a thread that exists in this forum called "Thoughts" that was started by LaurenChaste under the Inspiration and Encouragement section of our forum. Check it out! I think it's a great idea to open up and share experiences :)
    stariie likes this.
  5. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I can relate to this, and I find that when I used to write down my thoughts it helped me. At the end of the writing I would usually feel as if a burden has been lifted from my shoulders and was being made anew. It is therapeutic and it helps to lessen the stress or burden being placed on our mind when we have crowded thoughts there that should be dealt with. The world can be a lonely place for some and not everyone will have someone at their disposal to speak to about personal issues we are facing. This is also helpful but personally I write more than talk as some things I prefer not to divulge to persons around me. If I must talk with someone it will be done with my mother but I hate burdening others with my problems so i find that writing was a comfortable window of dealing with them to a point.

I discovered an online diary called Penzu and i go there and write sometimes. It is private (as can be on the internet) as it afford you the opportunity to select a username and password to have your personal account. It is enjoyable and sometimes I go there and just write the day away. I find that I write mostly when I am depressed though and not during my happy periods so it has been neglected on some occasions, but I will get back there soon and add an entry to the journal there.
    amethyst and RoseK like this.
  6. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Another thing about writing is that you are able to revisit what you wrote (provided it was not destroyed) and reflect on some of the negatives you went though and use this as a tool of empowerment. Looking back is not always bad as we at times need to remember that we were able to overcome in the midst of negativity. This can give us the drive to maintain our composure and not falter in existing negative situations . I do that from time to time, go back to my journal and re read, though some information there may be hard to go over and even result in tears it helps me to focus.
    Zyni and RoseK like this.
  7. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Writing is a form of therapy so it is definitely something I also do and even recommend. Try to keep a journal or even try something new that involves writing like being creative and make music or writing a poem. There's a lot you could do to heal yourself in the form of a pen and paper.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thank you, Nikkishea. I have never heard of Penzu, but I will check it out. I am a person who needs pen and paper. I rarely write my thoughts down on my computer. I like to have a hand bound note book in my bag at all times, for those moments when I want to sit under a tree or at the beach and just doodle away. I like to feel and smell the paper, make little drawings and paste leaves, old tickets and many other things into my diary...
  9. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I agree. It feels so good to be yourself in some outlet or another. Lately, I've been gathering quotes from different sources that resonate with how I feel or challenge me to consider alternative approaches. It is a effective way for me to relax :)
    d4rk3n likes this.
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I write down my thoughts all the time, I think it's a really great way to see where you're mind is at during certain periods of your life. Around my birthday I also like to write some goals that I have and how I feel during that point and time in my life. I also like to keep a little notepad next to my bed and write down things that I remember in my dreams. Sometimes, I can remember entire dreams based on what I write when I wake up.
  11. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I think writing consciously can make you more conscious certainly. It allows people to focus and channel their energy on that area of their life that perhaps they've avoided thinking about in great detail. I think it's a great way of learning about yourself.
  12. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

I keep a Dairy, especially of the days that seem to wear me down. I find it very therapeutic. On some of my days that I'm ecstatically happy, I go back and read my thought on those horrible days and laugh. It helps me to know that everything eventually will work out fine.
  13. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Well I'm a writer, so yeah I do find it particularly therapeutic. I find it much easier to get my thoughts in writing vs speaking to others, even those I'm closest to, I'm just much better able to express myself in writing. It's great for my insomnia when the thoughts are just racing and yes, it's quite helpful for depression and anxiety as well.
  14. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I've become more active in writing lately using memoir prompts to dust off old memories. For me it's theraputic to look at the events in my life at a distance so I can evaluate and learn from them. Does anyone use prompts/free write/stories..?
  15. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

Absolutely! I have a book full of my thoughts! I wouldn't really call it a diary .. well maybe it is lol! I just usually write down everything that is going on in my head or anything that is stressing me out. Its crazy how something as simple as just putting you thoughts on paper can give you a feeling of such relief. I get same feeling when I mediate or pray.
    RoseK likes this.
  16. JennyHeart

JennyHeart Member

I agree that writing down your thoughts can help a great deal. I read a book once called, 'Write It Down make It Happen.' This book is great! It even talks about how to rant your feelings on paper and how it helps release the stress that is on your mind. Then before you are done ranting you usually will end up writing a positive note at the end of the paper.
    RoseK likes this.
  17. 003

003 Community Champion

I am really fond of writing my thoughts even though I never get back to them, even though I know that I am just going to forget where I wrote them. It gives me comfort and consolation. But I'm wary that my written thoughts might get accidentally spilled out.
    RoseK likes this.
  18. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I write everyday. I like the whole process of writing. I like buying cute notebooks, buying stickers to decorate the notebooks, getting glitter to put on my pages. I love the whole process of writing down thoughts, although as I said in another post here in this forum, I sometimes don't write out all of the words I'm feeling. I'll just use the first letter or two of a word, but I get a lot of journaling done like that, and it gets things out of my system and on to the paper.
    RoseK likes this.
  19. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

It is easier and motivating to enjoy the whole process of writing. I love that you get stickers and decorations for your notebooks...that's awesome! I like to collect quotes, passages, etc. that resonate with me and store them within easy reach. Once, I bought a tiny book full of different patterned paper just because I was attracted to the different designs. My fiance thought I was crazy! I think it's important to find what works for you and go with it :)
    stariie likes this.
  20. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Your fiance thought you were crazy because you liked the patterned paper??:eek::confused:...
    Well, time to get a new fiance!!;);):D

Writing and the whole process just thrills me. Like you, I like quotes and passages and inspirational sayings. If I would be more diligent, I would do some scrapbooking and put my quotes and things together. I love scrapbooking too. Ugh, the thrill of being a girl:cool:.

I totally agree with you about finding what works for you and going with that. Reminds me of that saying, be yourself because everyone else is taken.
    RoseK likes this.