An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Writing down your thoughts

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by amethyst, Nov 14, 2014.

1. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

Awesome! Just practicing being fully aware (of self, environment, external events/people) really helps shift point of view and sometimes even priorities. Lately I've been doing something called "heartwork" in conjunction with writing stories. I take prompts out of a book that tend to prod distant memories, experiences, as well as focusing beyond yourself. It can be very stressful at times but very cathartic to bring those things to the surface of consciousness. Good luck on your journey :)

A little inspiration :)

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=70b066f69da92ae7bb919f879&id=4398b7cc57&e=8c6db2f663
  2. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Writing is what separates us from the savages. At the same time, writing also soothes the beast in us. When we write, we are putting our thoughts into a form that can be kept for perpetuity, if we want to. I wrote an article called "I write, therefore I exist". That is really what happens in cyberspace. Without putting our thoughts into writing, we are just passers-by in cyberspace. When we write, we come into existence in cyberspace.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I like to write my feelings down too. If someone has really upset me, I often write a letter (which I'll never actually send) telling them exactly what I think of them. I don't hold back at all, I let it all out. I find it really therapeutic. Doing this allows me to get all the negative feelings out.
  4. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I used to do what we call "free-writes", wherein I would play a song, write down on a piece of paper everything bothering me on my mind, without thinking, then once the song is finished, I stop writing.

It surprised me at first because it actually got things off of my mind. I thought it wouldn't work, and when it worked, I was quite relieved. I just didn't expect it. Your problems and worries shouldn't bother you anymore because you've practically laid all your worries down on the piece of paper.
  5. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Writing has a good influence over ones thoughts and emotions. Because you put the words on paper, and you can see them as a different perspective. It's definitely something that can help you on the long term !
    RoseK likes this.
  6. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

Most definitely! It's become one of several new "habits" that help me work through my experiences and learn who I am all over again. I'm so glad I was too stubborn to completely give up pushing forward :)
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Writing or using a journal really helps. It can be interesting to go back and read what you've written in the past. Remember what was going on. Sometimes you can figure things out much more easily when you write it out. Writing in third person can give a more objective view that will distance you from strong feelings if they are sad. Such as using he or she.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've always been someone that has appreciated the value of writing my thoughts down. Sometimes I'll just get my journal out and perhaps not necessarily know what's on my mind - but once I start writing my thoughts and feelings become apparent. It's just a very therapeutic, calming thing for me and I'll be doing it forever, no doubt.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am a writer, I began writing by writing my daily thoughts in a diary. Later my dairy became a place to record my mental state, my pain, suffering, frustration, anger. I believe writing sublimates your pent up emotions.