An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax + Alcohol = Blackout?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by hellonamesdana, Mar 12, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

A friend of mine was telling me today that his friend offered him a xanax, which he took, and then while he was drinking after he took it he completely blacked out and didn't remember anything that happened once he walked into the bar and had his first drink of the night. The kid is only 18 and I'm really concerned, especially when stuff like that happens and he tells me about it, but he swears to me that he's fine. What do you guys think about this? Has it happened to you?
  2. Katt

Katt Member

I have seen people doing the exact same thing, taking xanax with alcohol. However, they took like at least 8 pills. Then they would fall in a deep sleep state and amnesia was a side effect in their case as well. I could never understand what possible high they could get from this. Trust me, that kid is not fine. One pill today, two pills tomorrow and so on. The people I am telling you about ended up in jail as they mugged a woman in broad daylight to get money for more pills and they couldn't even remember.
    I did not mean to scare you, but I want to point out that xanax use, at least from my limited experience, seems to be connected with depression. My mother may have a xanax problem as well and I know it is difficult to get through to people in this situation. So try to have a heart-to-heart with this kid.
    All the best!
  3. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Xanax plus alcohol is highway to blackout. I have an older brother that used to do this all the time and each time he would do something incredibly stupid and have no memory of it in the morning. It is not fine.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Mixing alcohol with other drugs has never really been cool. You risk all sorts of complications and things may get serious, more serious than suffering from blackouts. You could suffer heart failure or even organ failure.
  5. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Yep, this is really common. You're really not supposed to mix Xanax with alcohol. They're both downers and Xanax will increase the effects of alcohol significantly. That includes the part where becoming drowsy or blacking out is likely to happen. Because it doesn't sound like he does this often, having a single pill (depending on the dosage) was likely enough to effect him.
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I blacked out every single time I mixed the two... Regardless of how much. I would think it would vary for everybody. You know they say nothing good ever happens after 2am? Well, that's even more true with that combo. I did some very horrible things. If you care about your friend you should do whatever it takes to convince him not to do it again. A few years year ago, a couple hundred miles from here a guy woke up in a jail cell after mixing the two. He found out he had shot and killed a deputy while he was blacked out. That news article is why I originally quit mixing the two.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Taking xanax and passing out is not a good thing, as the person could do something wrong or end up in prison as they would be facing consequences for their actions. Mixing drugs and alcohol is not good, as you may not remember what you did and start to deny it even if you were shown the proof as the person may not believe it and be stressed out what they did and be shocked they could do this. I, think people need to wake up and see, that it is not good and also that it is not a friend and it is a foe.