New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax - anger issues

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Margarita, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Margarita

Margarita Member

I've used Xanax for 4-5 years. Not that much, just 3 mg a day. I didn't even realize I was addicted, until I tried to quit 2 months ago. For about a week I had the scariest hallucinations imaginable (hearing, seeing and feeling things), I thought I was going mad. I was also completely paranoid and homicidal, I even threatened to kill someone at the doctor's office. Now, 2 months later, I'm still overly sensitive to light and sound. But the worst part is that I feel this intense anger all day long. For no apparent reason whatsoever I get extremely angry at people, sometimes for things that happened 10 or 20 years ago. It's ridiculous! But I just can't get rid of the anger, it's consuming me. Does anybody recognize these feelings? What can I do to make it go away? And I used to have a superb memory, but when I was on Xanax I started getting really forgetful, and I'm still like this. Will it get better with time? Thanks!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Margarita... Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Xanax. I'm curious: Were you taking it as prescribed by a doctor? If so, I wouldn't say you were addicted. Instead, I would say your body became dependent on Xanax. I had the same thing happen to me with Klonopin, which is another benzodiazepine. Trust me: Benzos are nasty drugs and it's very difficult to get off of them. The only way to do it is to wean off of them slowly. Is this what you did?

I can't address your anger issues, per se. But I do know that the withdrawal symptoms from benzos are no walk in the park. I'm sure anger could be one of those for some people. The memory issues are something I experienced, too. But in time--I'm about two years "clean" from Klonopin--things improved greatly for me.

Feel free to talk to your doctor about this. There's nothing wrong with asking questions about this.

I'm keeping good thoughts for you and sending you lots of positive, healing energy. Thanks for sharing with us.
  3. Margarita

Margarita Member

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I have several doctors/therapists (GP, psychiatrist, psychotherapist) prescribing my medication and they didn't really keep track of how much I was taking (I was allowed to take 1,5 mg a day). I honestly thought Xanax was quite innocent, so didn't think it was a big deal. Until I tried to get off it. I didn't wean off them slowly, didn't know that was neccesary... (which I now realize is really naive... for someone who has been on medication for 23 years, of course I should have known, but for some reason I never thought of Xanax as 'real medication', merely a side pill).

The anger issue is something I also experienced every time I tried to get off Paxil (and failed miserably), but that was even worse. A whole lot worse. That's supposed to be the next step though, to wean off Paxil (after 17 years). But I had to get off Xanax first. I'm very glad to hear your memory issues have improved over time! Hopefully mine will, too.

Thanks again!
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Margarita... Don't feel bad. I didn't know I couldn't stop Klonopin cold turkey, either. I tried that and quickly found out that it was a huge mistake. I think doctors should give patients more info about the drugs they prescribe.
  5. Margarita

Margarita Member

You're right... if my doctor had told me how hard it is to get off of it, I would never have taken it in the first place. It's 2 weeks later now and I still feel terrible. Can't sleep at night, can't focus on anything, and I'm still insanely mad at so many people, I have no idea where it's coming from! How will I ever get off Paxil if I'm already having such a hard time with this??? (I have a new psychiatrist by the way, and he thinks it only takes a few weeks to wean off Paxil... something's telling me he doesn't have a whole lot of experience with it).