An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax instead of AntiDepressants

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by TripleD123, Mar 16, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I went to my doctor recently and told him I thought I had been suffering from panic and anxiety attacks. We talked through my symptoms and troubles. He mentioned that they often prescribe Xanax but because it is highly addictive in young females he chooses not to prescribe it. He instead put me on an antidepressant (Celexa I think, I could be wrong) and sent me on my way. I am sure I do suffer from some depression but I don't like the idea of antidepressants and I also don't like the thought of taking a drug to mask or numb my emotions. I took the pills for 2 months and hated feeling like my pistons weren't firing in my brain so I stopped taking it. It also seemed to give me horrible nightmares at night.

Is it bad of me to wish he would have prescribed me Xanax? I just want something to help me off that edge of crazy, can't breath, can't focus, super upset, freaking out, moments of panic that I get into every now and then. I don't want to doctor shop as he did scare me into believing that I would instantly become addicted. Any advice?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

There are several other options other than xanax. Most of them are still risky as far as addiction, but there are a couple that are effective with no "buzz" to them. Paxil is an antidepressant that also help with anxiety. Then there's vistiril, which is only for anxiety. Its an antihistamine and it works. And then there's buspar. It is solely for anxiety also. You should talk to your doctor about those. They work really well if you don't have a crazy high tolerance to things like that.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  3. TripleD123

Thanks @kana_marie . I've been lazy and I haven't done much research on my end so I'm happy to have a starting off point. My family (father & sister) both take Paxil and they think it is the best thing ever. I still am very hesitant about the pill a day thing but I guess I have to listen to the doctor. Thats what we pay them the big bucks for, right?
    kana_marie likes this.
  4. kana_marie

Yep,that's exactly right. The Paxil is a pill a day and the bus par is taken at regular times throuout the day. The visitril,though, is only taken when you have an attack. And there is no worries of addiction with any of them!
    TripleD123 likes this.
  5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Not everyone reacts to drugs in the same manner, everyones side effects vary, so it was not wrong for you to wish that he had prescribed xanax for you, because maybe it would have worked well for you causing night mares.
  6. TripleD123

The nightmares were the worst when I was on celexa. They were vivid and would wake me multiple times a night. I've never suffered from something so crazy before. That was the last straw for me. Thanks for the reassurance. I might revisit with my doctor soon and talk to him about these other options presented.
  7. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I suffer from panic attacks and depression and I was prescribed Escitalopram which is used to treat depression and anxiety. My doctor said it won't make me addicted and I searched about it and it is true. I take only one pill of 30 mg a day and I feel great. I started the treatment about two weeks ago . The doctor said I experienced a bad depression and all the anxiety evolved only because of that. I would recommend you to read about Escitalopram and you can ask your doctor about it. All the panic attacks , insomnia and my bad mood disappeared.
    kana_marie likes this.
  8. kana_marie

I might ask my doctor about it, too. Is it similar to Paxil?
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that, taking xanax may not be the right way as it can be addictive and also a person may use this for relief and misuse the drug and not use it for the right purposes as it was stated for the use. It can be differnt for each person and also, that it can have a good effect or a bad one and it can have a bad effect on the mind which is going to change them. I hope that, it can be a good for some people and also that it can be sad if someone can rely on this for life and also that it will be bad if a person changes also.
  10. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I searched online and I found that Escitalopram is more effective than paroxetine (Paxil) in the treatment of severe depression, including depression accompanied by anxiety symptoms . Also, escitalopram has superior tolerability when compared with paroxetine. Patients with severe depression accompanied by anxiety symptoms responded significantly better to escitalopram compared with paroxetine.
    Also, Escitalopram is significantly more effective than paroxetine in the long-term treatment of severely depressed patients.
  11. kana_marie

Oh wow, thank you!! I go back to the doctor next month. I am definitely going to bring that up to him. I'll have to write it down and show it to him because, like most medicine,I have no idea how to pronounce it. :p
    Diana S. likes this.
  12. kana_marie

What I thought was interesting was that it can be emotionally addictive pretty early on. It takes a year,though, for your brain to stop producing the chemical that has the affectsthe Xanax is duplicating. After that you're physically addicted. It is definitely a short term drug if you ask me.for me, personally, I'll be emotionally addicted after just one. I have to stay very far away from it. It actually bothers me that my buspar looks similar to it. I crave them a lot more often than I should because of that.
  13. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Xanax isn't the only option. I usually suffer from panic attacks every now and again, especially right before a major event. I had gone to the drugstore and asked the pharmacist for something that could suppress the anxiety. I can't seem to remember, for the life of me, what the name of that lozenge was, though. What I do recall is that the drug required sublingual administration, but that's about it. I hope someone knows what I'm referring to.
  14. kana_marie

Do you suppose it could have been valarian root or some derivative? I have heard that helps a lot .
  15. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I have tried valerian tincture but, of course, it was all liquid. Valerian root could be the same thing in a different form. I'm not quite sure about that. However, I don't think that was it. All I can remember is that the name of the drug began with an "S". I'm almost positive, I guess. It didn't have much effect on me, though. Nothing so far has, come to think of it.
  16. kana_marie

It may take time but you'll find what works for you eventually. It took me a long time to find something that worked as well as benzos. And it takes 5 different meds to do it, but it is so much better now!