An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax Side Effects

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by blur92, Jan 15, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I was previously prescribed a low dosage of Xanax for anxiety. However, it affected me negatively so I discontinued using it. I am curious as to whether anyone had similar side effects as mine. It made me irritable, impatient, angry, and hungry. This was all at approximately the lowest dosage one can be prescribed. Also, it did not help much with my anxiety.
  2. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Did you take it daily or only at the onset of an anxiety attack? Were you on any other medications at the time?
  3. blur92

I took it at night as needed. It was intended to settle me down so I would be able to get some sleep. I take Zoloft (I may have been on 50mg or 100mg at the time) and Adderall (30mg), but I take those early in the morning.
  4. mildredbonk89

mildredbonk89 Member

I was never prescribed Xanax by a health professional, but I am certain that I would have been if I had paid for a diagnosis. My best friend has a prescription, and he gave me a handful of them so I could find out if it would help me or not. The first time I took it, I was a bit put off by it (I felt numb and not at all like myself). It didn't stop me from trying it again though. The next time I had an overwhelming anxiety attack, I took another one. This time it helped me tremendously. I felt at ease almost instantly, and the rest of my day went swimmingly. However, the third time I took it, I had just started a new job. I had already put in a week's work there, and I had most of the job figured out. I took one at eight in the morning and went in to start my shift. Upon arriving there, I was overcome with a massive sense of self-doubt. I was confused to the point of not even being able to count money correctly. The confusion was similar to the confusion one feels when on psychedelic drugs (an inability to understand the most simple of operations, like tying your shoe or unzipping your pants). I felt helpless. I walked out and quit because I was so embarrassed. I probably won't ever seek an actual prescription for my anxiety. I've thought that perhaps because I have a history of abusing psychedelic drugs, Xanax cannot perform its duty correctly in my brain. I don't know.
    blur92 likes this.
  5. blur92

I wouldn't disregard anti-anxiety medications altogether. Barbiturates aren't the best. They have a variety of negative side effects for most people. Moreover, any psychiatric medication generally differs on how they work for people. No two brains are identical; they are similar so how effective one type of medication may be for an individual may be unprofitable for another. Personally, I had a lot of luck with Zoloft. It helped with not only depression but anxiety too. Granted, it takes several months to kick in fully, and I had to up the dosage twice. It was worth it, though.