An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Xanax taper or no?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by pojack, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Liola

Liola Senior Contributor

Pojack
    Good job and good thoughts! At this point I would think you are over the worst part and luckily you cruised through it...you are very lucky and strong.
    Hopefully you will stay on the site with us!
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  2. pojack

pojack Member

For sure. Thanks. Now I just need to deal with this GAD. Been anxious most days.
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@pojack great you're not feeling symptoms!! yay for that! hope your day goes well today!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Dominica

@pojack what do you try to do for the GAD? just curious... do you find one thing works better than another?
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  5. pojack

pojack Member

Right now, I’m just fighting through it. I think my lack of sleep is contributing to it. I only get about 4 to 5 hours of sleep. That and I need to start exercising regularly again.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Effexor, but the last time I took anti depressant/anti anxiety medication was almost 20 years ago. It made me have my worst panic attack ever after taking it for a few days. So I’m hesitant to start one again.
  6. pojack

pojack Member

So, after 5 days of not taking Xanax, I finally broke down and took some Librium that was prescribed to me a few months back for alcohol withdrawals when I quit drinking. I started getting really anxious and couldn’t take it anymore, so I took 25 mgs of Librium about 5 minutes ago.
  7. Dominica

@pojack hey there! i'm not familiar with librium... how are you feeling since you took it?

i'm hoping that tomorrow you will be feeling better. getting off Xanax can be tough, but it is possible...in time.

you're still not drinking?
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@pojack... How are you doing today? How did the librium work for you? Let us know how you're doing, my friend. Also, maybe look into doing some meditation. It can be terrific for anxiety.
    Dominica likes this.
  9. pojack

pojack Member

I haven’t had a drink in over two months. I took two 25 mg doses of Librium yesterday and it helped a lot. I got a good sleep last night and actually slept for 7 hours uninterrupted. I felt good today and haven’t taken any more medication. I’m hoping tomorrow will be the same.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  10. deanokat

That's awesome, @pojack! It makes such a big difference when you can get good, sound sleep. I'm so happy for you. I hope today is another good day for you!
    Dominica likes this.
  11. pojack

pojack Member

Just an update. I took two doses of Librium last Sunday and haven’t taken anything since. I’ve had very little anxiety this week. I’ve been getting better sleep, which I think was contributing to the anxiety.

My Xanax prescription was refilled this week. I plan on taking 1mg on Monday because I’m flying on Christmas Eve. I’m not a fan of flying. I’m wondering if my tolerance has decreased since I haven’t taken any Xanax in two weeks.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Dominica

@pojack that's great you've been off Librium and Xanax. and have had little anxiety! i do understand anxiety around flying. i'm not a medical expert, but i am assuming that your tolerance has decreased in as little as 2 weeks.... so.. be careful about dosage. must you take it?
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  13. pojack

pojack Member

I don’t have to take it, but I also don’t want to have severe anxiety or a panic attack in flight. I plan on taking it an hour before takeoff.
    Dominica likes this.
  14. deanokat

You've made terrific progress, @pojack! Congratulations! I think you should be fine taking the Xanax prior to your flight. Have you considered taking .5 mg? Just a thought. If you could cut a 1 mg in half, that might be enough. In any case, I'm proud of you for not having taken any Xanax in 2 weeks. :)
  15. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

I hope you left the rest behind. And only took one tablet for the flight back.
    Otherwise here we go again...
    Librium is a long acting benzodiazepine FYI, didn't know if you knew that.
    deanokat likes this.